I really like the look of this 4-tone grey scheme, I might have to add it to my list of projects! Where were the decals from?

Thanks, they were the kit decals. Italeri kit No. 170. I used a laser level to lay out the lines so they are straight when viewed from directly above or below.

If I could tag along in spirit as I check out these cool builds underway, here's a couple I made in the past.

1/32 Tamiya F-4J- about 4 1/2 years ago. Sorry for the crappy pics....

F4J-11.jpg

F4J-6.jpg

F4J-16.jpg

1/32 Tamiya F-4E- about a year ago. My photography (& modeling) improve....

FuselageLarge13.jpg

FuselageLarge10.jpg

Cockpit16.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks! It was my first time doing any kind of camo with an airbrush, so it was a challenge. The greens are Tamiya paints - the dark is probably XF-70 Dark Green 2 I think. I finsihed this one last fall, so it's been a while. I don't remember what colour I used for the light green. With both, I would have tinted them darker and lighter to get some variation over the plane, and to post-shade some of the panel lines.

Thanks. I think you did a great job with the camo. I don't think the greens are that much off. I've seen some close up shots of Phantoms in the SEA scheme which had some touch ups, and the dark green that you used looks perfect for that. I will try this on a future build for sure.

Keep up the good work! (I also liked your Eagle, btw)

There are some fantastic Phantoms in this thread! I don't havemany Phantoms built (at least successfully! :woot.gif:/>/> ) but I have fnished a few over the years. Here's some of my contributions:

First is a 1/72 Hasegawa F4-EJ in anniversary markings:

F4EJWhite72leftsideLarge-1.jpg

This is a 1/48 Hasegawa F-4B for a local model club build:

F4JVF114048012009MJILarge-4.jpg

And a teeny little one in 1/144 scale:

F-4EJAmigoleft04092009Large.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>/>

• 2 months later...

This is a matchbox phantom I built a while ago, and yes it is actually the Matchbox kit!

43Sqn2.jpg

Hasegawa RF-4B

Left.jpg

ebay kit which came with no cockpit! hence the painted cockpit.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
  • 3 weeks later...

What year were these taken? I happened to be in Germany in 2009 and was able to attend the model show at the museum with my son then.

Sorry for late reply...we took part in the model show in 2009! I finished the ESCI F-4C USAF in the early grey high viz scheme.