Mine has not arrived yet but I will take a shot at the Academy F4U-1D in 1/48 scale. As of right now its looking like box stock.May use different decals but not sure. I hope I complete this build none of my other models get finished just boxed up and put away in the dungeon of a closet. Cant wait to see all you guys birds, that will probably be the highlight of this build for me

Edited by tosouthern66

OK, OK, you talked me into it!! I have started an Italeri F4U-7 to be done as either a USMC nite figther or an Argentine bird. Will decide before applying paint!?!?!

Excellent! Just so that you know - I think only the French Navy flew the F4U-7. The main difference is in the cowl: The -5 had "cheek scoops" while the -7 had bulged cheeks but no scoops.

If you can find a -5 cowl, you'll have a -5 that can be either USN, USMC or Argentine.

Gents,

First time caller, long time listener! I haven't posted a picture on ARC yet, but CorsairMan is a friend of mine, so there is no better time to give it a try.

I'm old school, still using tube glue and brush paint. So, fitting my skills, I'm dusting off a golden oldie. Like Fellow Hobbyist above, I'll be doing a (ex-Hawk) Testors' 1/72nd F4U-1D, straight out of the box. Mind you, I will use some equally old decals, a RNZAF set I found from an MPC kit.

To the wayback machine, Mr.Peabody!

all best

John

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring as well on this one. I want to get some more work done on other builds first, but I hope to start on this soon. For now, these are my inspiration.

37555_132571313451188_132552930119693_149267_8323960_n_zpsf861d052.jpg

CorsairWreck021_zpsfd512219.jpg

01-Corsair-Frontandside_zps9139af02.jpg

Not sure if I want to try to do one ditched in the water or perhaps crash landed on say an island or something. Kind of depends on how it goes. I also have a bunch of pics I took of the Birdcage Corsair salvage when it was sitting outside the hangar in Pensacola. I'll post some of those later in the inspiration thread cause some of the interior shots might help for some of the non-crash builds as well. It's amazing how much of the cockpit placards and such were in pretty good condition.

I'll be using an old Revell 1/32 scale kit for this since half of the kit is damaged and/or missing. I've never tried my hand at modeling crash damage so it should be fun.

Bill

Excellent! Just so that you know - I think only the French Navy flew the F4U-7. The main difference is in the cowl: The -5 had "cheek scoops" while the -7 had bulged cheeks but no scoops.

If you can find a -5 cowl, you'll have a -5 that can be either USN, USMC or Argentine.

The French also operated AU-1's for a short period, on loan from the USMC. IIRC they were intended to make up for F4U-7's which hadn't been built yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i've been watching this GB and would like to join if i may.

I have a bunch of 1/48 F4U's in my stash so i need to decide which to pick.

I may go through my late Grandfather pictures/log books to see if i can nail down some serial/code matches for the Corsair I/II/IV he flew in the Royal Navy between 1943-46.

Hi,

I would like to join with 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D, OOB with kit marking, will take photo later when I start.

Interesting boss nice to see you on board too we are doing the same kit......badri's gift to me :)

rgds

mr b

I forgot this was underway! I'm in with Accurate Miniatures release of Special Hobby's F2G Corsair. I just started a personal theme build of all the Glossy Sea Blue planes in the stash and this one will be one of the OOB GSB schemes. Just started cockpit assembly last night.

Ken

Hallo everyone!

This will be my first Group Build. It is also my first attempt in posting something... so I'm sorry, I'm still not able to add photos!

I'm going to build a Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D. I will publish the photos during the next week, after learning how to do this!

well I am in with my corsair family I have and they are as fallows and 1 kit is in 1/32 scale and all of the rest are in 1/48

1 tamyia bircadge

3 f4u-1a's one in 1/32 scale and the others in 1/48

3 f4u-4s in 1/48

and one fu4-5n and if I can get one in time a F2g

one of the f4u-4's I am building for the revel contest. the other corsairs when I get some pictures taken ill tel you what they will be but I will try and weather them.

ok so I found one of my corsairs and the 2 cowling parts I used on another project so were can I get 2 cowling parts for a F4u-1a if I cant get the parts I might turn it in to the chino super corsair that raced during the 80's the kit is 1/48

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Fujimi F4U-5N is done, I need another build. Leaning towards doing the Academy F4U-1A in 1/72, with some sort of replacement decals, probably from the Tamiya F4U-1A (as that kit will be built with Airfix decals).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I built Hasegawa's F4U-4 for the Reserve GB and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a fun little kit and looks good when built up. I think I'd like to get in on this GB with another one.

IMG187.jpg

I have a couple of other projects on my bench at the moment, but as soon as I tie those up, I'll get started on my Corsair.

Cheers!

-O

• 1 month later...

As promised, I'm back with the Academy F4U-1A in 1/72. Decals will be from the Tamiya F4U-1A boxing although I'm undecided between the VMF-214 option or the VF-17. Do I do the Black Sheep, my childhood hero's or the classic Ira Kepford bird from the Jolly Rogers? Decisions, decisions.