1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

IMG_3013.jpg

After much wet sanding the horizontal stab on the left is just about done. Instead of filling the seams I deceided to eliminate them all together, just like on the actual jet. The real ones were one piece boron fiber. I was able to get the edges much thinner to which, looks much better IMO.

IMG_3017.jpg

After much trial and error, and referring to Danny Coreman's book "Uncovering the Grumman F-14A/B/D Tomcat", I think I got it. Here are my paper templates for the tail stiffeners. I will use .010" sheet plastic and "layer" them just like the picture shows.

IMG_3088_zpsf5265113.jpg

Since both my 1/18th scale Tomcats will be displayed in the "in flight" mode, I had to come up with a way to support the Cat. For now I came up with this idea. Eventually, I want to have this ( the rods and the pvc halves )made out of clear acrylic. I'm planning on building 2 display cases for both Cats with acrylic covers as well to keep them dust free.

Sorry for the mixup about posting my " in progress " photos of my F-14 in another thread. I will start my own for those who wish to follow and view the progress as I go. Pics to follow soon. Again, I apoligize for the mixup on my part.

Steve

IMG_3177_zps1083e16e.jpg

FINALLY the tail stiffeners are finished !! These were made out of .010" sheet plastic. It's kinda hard to see the "layers" now but, once they are primed, painted and weathered, the details will pop right out.

Steve

IMG_3183_zps5652c510.jpg

This is a BEFORE shot of the F-14A cockpit. Since I am converting mine to a B model, the rear instrument panel needs some attention. This would be ALOT easier to do without the cockpit installed in the fuselage. I did not have the guts to tear this entire assembly apart however. The area around the round bluish screen had some raised details that needed to be removed in order to have a flat surface to attach the new screen. I fabricated a new one out of .015" sheet plastic.

Steve

IMG_3189_zps26e31876.jpg

This shot shows the new panel (the white square shaped one) tacked into place. Once it is painted black and the little details added, it should look fine. Still need to add the RIO's control stick to the LH console and also add the canopy jettison handles to both the front and rear instrument panels.

Steve

IMG_3195_zpsd7af5899.jpg

Hard to get good photos of this because it's on the small side but, here is the chin pod with a new scratch built position light and a clear lens for the TCS. Looks much better than the stupid red lens that it comes with.

Steve