1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

IMG_3492_zps690155a1.jpg

I even added the 36 screw holes that go around the outer lip of the engine shroud. This area will be covered with a carbon fiber decal and then I can dab the holes with silver, to represent the screw heads. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it works.

Steve

IMG_3503_zps56178866.jpg

This shot of my VF-154 jet shows the lack of "panel fastener" details on the forward fuselage, especially around the gun bay doors and the muzzle blast fairing.

Steve

IMG_3501_zps9b3cfb50.jpg

This shot of the VF-103 jet shows the added "panel fastener" details. I think these little subtle details make a big difference and look a lot better IMO.

Steve

Steve. Great new rivet details!

If you're not aware of it already when you get down to painting it, the metallic panel in front of the gun opening should have a small grey painted notch in the lower left hand corner of the panel. This notch is often missed by other modelers and there's a great pic of it here:

Front gun panel

Also, just in case you're not aware of it as well, all Tomcat modelers can greatly benefit from these detailed pics of "Christine" in the Prime Portal website, which is an F-14D that was restored (sort of) where the above pic was taken from. That site is here:

Christine

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for the heads up about the small notch on the blast muzzle, it's noted so when it comes time for paint I won't forget.

The detail pics of "Christine" have been saved to my favorites for a few months now. Between those and my DACO book, it's made things alot easier. I wasn't going to do the "panel fastener" details but, since I've started there's no turning back now. All or nothing I guess.

Working on the GPS-antenna on the spine tonight along with test fitting the forward fuselage to the main body. The bottom lines up real nice but, there is a pretty good gap all along the top. I'll figure something out. Will hopefully have some progress pics to show tomorrow.

Steve

IMG_3500_zps81c88f13.jpg

While laying out some of the panel lines, that I need to rescribe, that had been lost during the "body work" phase, I noticed that these cooling vents ( used to cool the horizontal stabilizers hydraulic actuator ) are way to far forward. I have drawn one in it's proper spot. Drilling out for the new vent isn't a problem but, the grill work is. Not sure how to tackle this one, any ideas ?? I don't want to F this up ..... maybe I'll just leave it go.

Steve

IMG_3514_zpsf432fe19.jpg

Here is the GPS dome which was added to the Tomcats @ 2000, sorry for the quality of the picture it is a pic of the computer screen. I needed to add this to my Cat.

Steve

IMG_3511_zpsc7001047.jpg

This is what I used to recreate the GPS dome. It's an old toy missle from my sons toy. I keep a lot of stuff like this in my spares box, you never know when something like this will come in handy. I used my jewelers saw to cut off the very top of the part circled in red.

Steve

IMG_3513_zps8103e01f.jpg

And here is the result, looks pretty good to me. I still need to add some "panel fastener" detail to the area and once everything is painted I think it will look just fine.

Steve

IMG_3516_zpsa2cb64f0.jpg

Here is the nasty gap that I have where the forward fuselage mates to the main body. I decided to make a shim out of .020" sheet plastic that I will attach to the forward fuselage. I was hoping to paint the main body separate from the front just to make things a little easier, we'll see. Once this is glued into place I'll test fit the parts together again and see where I go from there.

Steve

IMG_3515_zpsf0c13583.jpg

This is the shim I will be using. Hopefully I can get this seam to disappear when the front and main body are mated together. Anyway got pizza and some cold Molson Canadians calling my name right now. Enjoy your night everyone.

Steve

IMG_3517_zps335b27b1.jpg

Got some time in on the Cat today laying out the "panel fastener" details around the wing walkways, navigation light panels, the ECS exhausts and, the bypass air spill ducts. I mark the screw holes with a mechanical pencil and then go back with my #78 drill bit in the pin vise. The RH side is all marked out and started the LH side, hopefully I'm not wasting my time. This is the first time I've ever tried to do this "panel fastener" detail. Since I usually work in 1/48th scale, it's never needed IMO.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

IMG_3521_zps08c27733.jpg

QA, my boy Salem, checking in on the "panel fastener" process. The front RH side is finished, ALL 785 fasteners !! Can't wait to get started on the other side, like I said, all or nothing.

Steve

IMG_3521_zps08c27733.jpg

Not sure why this got deleted ??? QA, my boy Salem, checking in on the "panel fastener" process. The front RH side is finished, ALL 785 fasteners !! Can't wait to get started on the other side, like I said, all or nothing.

Steve

IMG_3525_zpsf69c1d2c.jpg

Finished up the "panel fastener" details to the topside of the forward fuselage. After the wing glove vanes are puttied and sanded, I will add the remaining fasteners. Moving on to the back half of the jet for more fastener detail work and some panel lines to be rescribed. Thanks for looking.

Steve