1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

On 1/20/2017 at 0:32 PM, wardog said:

WOW.................soooooooooo impressive. I know It's gonna be a while but i cant wait to this beauty finished. Awesome work Steve!

Thank you very much for the kind words wardog. I am humbled that someone of your caliber would appreciate this project. She's getting close but, still so far away yet from completion. I want to see her finished as well.

Coincidentally, I have a Revell 1/48th A-6E in the works. I'm extremely embarrassed to admit this but, she was started around 2000 if I remember correctly ?? Remodeling our old house and life got in the way and forced me to pack her away. It doesn't need that much more to be completed but, after following your amazing build, I may just put her in the trashcan.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Steve, I appreciate your project because something so big requires an enormous amount of work and just as much dedication to not give up along the way. I know exactly how it feels to see year after year pass by and your project still on the bench unfinished. The idea of my project lingering on used to bug me until I conceded to the idea that it will get done when it gets done, at this point the rush is over. I knew you had an A-6 in the works and I encourage you to finish it, whether It's one of your models or one of mine, there is always someone out there that has raised the bar another notch and made something better.

E.

12 hours ago, wardog said:

Steve, I appreciate your project because something so big requires an enormous amount of work and just as much dedication to not give up along the way. I know exactly how it feels to see year after year pass by and your project still on the bench unfinished. The idea of my project lingering on used to bug me until I conceded to the idea that it will get done when it gets done, at this point the rush is over. I knew you had an A-6 in the works and I encourage you to finish it, whether It's one of your models or one of mine, there is always someone out there that has raised the bar another notch and made something better.

E.

Thanks for the encouraging words, much appreciated.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

Small update for those who are still interested. The entire airframe is sanded and now I've been going back and addressing the "problem areas." The automotive primer that I used is very thick so, I've been using that as filler for these areas. I've been using a paint brush and have been laying on thick coats. Once they dry and settle, I go back and block sand them and re-apply the primer if necessary. Since the jet will be displayed going vertical, you will see every square inch of her. Of course the biggest problem areas are at eye level so, I've been really trying to get these right. This picture here shows one of the trouble spots. The fingers point to the very bad gap between the panels in this area. I also have some very lumpy spots where the front windscreen meets the body because the clear glue did not flow out flat like I thought it would.

IMG_5551_zpstnm8y8a4.jpg

The other area is around the nose gear doors. The panel lines are not consistent because of the super glue I used to glue the doors shut. There was also a huge gap between the panels at the rear of the gear doors.

IMG_5552_zpsixoddkjf.jpg

Another area is where the port side intake meets the body. A large gap that I tried to fill with super glue left some lumpy areas and some gaps. I might try some water-based putty here so I can smooth it out and not have to do any sanding.

IMG_5554_zpsek63tcwl.jpg

I wish I had a better update for you all but, progress has been slow and finding time at the bench has been tough to come by. Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Steve

21 hours ago, JohnS said:

I think you better get a new guy to glue your models. lol

j/k

Getting closer to the finish line.

You know what they say, "good help is hard to find." I'm not too sure about that "finish line" thing though, hopefully paint soon because this is getting really old.

21 hours ago, kike said:

Every update is worth the waiting! I'm amazed of the level of dedication to the details! It'll pay off!! I can only wish to have your dedication and skills!

I appreciate your kind words kike and I'm happy your still along and enjoying the ride.

Steve

Greetings all,

I forgot to included this small update yesterday. I had to redo the TCS antenna because I have broken it off twice now. When I originally did it the first time I just cut a very small slot into the pod and super glued the scratch-built antenna in the slot. It wasn't very secure and was very fragile. This time I took some .020'' sheet plastic and scribed a groove into it with my scriber. Then I centered the slot in my punch set a punched out a small disk. I then fabricated a new antenna from some old photo etch sprue and glued it into the slot with some CA glue. I drilled a small hole into the TCS pod with a slightly larger bit than the disk and now it looks much better and it much more secure. Now it will be just a matter of gluing it in place when the time comes, spray a light coat of paint and a littel weathering and, it all should blend right in.

Thanks for checking in and until the next update ...

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

....Now it will be just a matter of gluing it in place when the time comes, spray a light coat of paint and a littel weathering and, it all should blend right in. ...
Steve

Be careful with the gluing.  :naughty:

The new antenna looks great.  I ended up doing something similar on my 1/48 VF-74 build.  The kit antenna was too short, so I made one out of a PE sprue too.

Edited by JohnS
2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Be careful with the gluing.  :naughty:

The new antenna looks great.  I ended up doing something similar on my 1/48 VF-74 build.  The kit antenna was too short, so I made one out of a PE sprue too.

Thanks John, appreciate it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 8:34 PM, crushkill said:

Unfortunate you're putting it on hold, been a blast to follow, but I can't fault the reason, I haven't touched plastic in months cause of the kiddos.

I don't mind doing the projects around the house, in fact I prefer to do what I can because I know it will be done correctly. I just wish I could find more time for " bench time." Thanks for following along and I'm hoping to get back at her soon.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Life has a funny way of throwing a wrench in the works, every time I think I can get some bench time in, BANG, something else comes up !! Hopefully not too much longer.

Steve

On 3/26/2017 at 1:08 PM, JohnS said:

I've reserved my seat for the finale. :wave:

Thanks very much for the kind words John, you have been one of my loyal followers and I really do appreciate it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

My son's room is almost finished and I am finding some small chances here and there to sand some spots, add more primer, sand some spots, etc. Hoping to have something worth posting soon, fingers crossed.

Steve

22 hours ago, kike said:

Glad to hear you are soon to be back! long time waiting for an update!!

Thanks for staying interested in this project kike.

17 hours ago, janman said:

It's Big. And BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks for the kind words janman and, thanks for stopping by and having a look around.

Steve

“February 2014 will mark the 1 year anniversary for this build and hopefully it won't take another year to finish. I guess the best I can do is keep pluggin along and hopefully have something to show here soon”.

“I am at the point now where I just want to be done with this project, I have a few small details to address before I can get her into primer but, on the other hand I am sick of working on it. I guess I just need a break.” (2014)

Hi Steve. A couple of your comments from back in 2014, yet here you are nearing completion. Hitting ‘The Wall’ is not just for marathon runners.

Taking some downtime myself and thought I really need to look at this humongous project of yours. Sheer dogged determination, patience and skill is giving you the result you deserve.

Keep up the excellent work.

John.

On 4/10/2017 at 0:46 PM, John Wolstenholme said:

“February 2014 will mark the 1 year anniversary for this build and hopefully it won't take another year to finish. I guess the best I can do is keep pluggin along and hopefully have something to show here soon”.

“I am at the point now where I just want to be done with this project, I have a few small details to address before I can get her into primer but, on the other hand I am sick of working on it. I guess I just need a break.” (2014)

Hi Steve. A couple of your comments from back in 2014, yet here you are nearing completion. Hitting ‘The Wall’ is not just for marathon runners.

Taking some downtime myself and thought I really need to look at this humongous project of yours. Sheer dogged determination, patience and skill is giving you the result you deserve.

Keep up the excellent work.

John.

John, thanks for the inspiring and kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Greetings everyone,

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there.

I finally had some "bench time" this weekend and an update that's worth posting.

Today's update focuses on addressing all the minor problem areas that came to the forefront after priming. I managed to get all those areas re-sanded and some re-scribing put back in some areas.

First up was the area just in front of the windscreen,

Before, very bad gaps and lumpy areas around the forward windscreen.

IMG_5551_zpstnm8y8a4.jpg

and after, much better IMO.

IMG_5671_zpsdiujjzgr.jpg

Another area is where the port side intake meets the body. A large gap that I tried to fill with super glue left some lumpy areas and some gaps. The starboard side needed attention as well.

IMG_5554_zpsek63tcwl.jpg

I decided to try some Vallejo Plastic putty for these areas. It was my first time using this product and I am very happy with the results. We'll see how it looks when primed.

IMG_5557_zpsepdtfjwk.jpg

IMG_5676_zpsg64qoztl.jpg

IMG_5675_zpsacrcgjpg.jpg

Another area that I think I'll use the Vallejo Putty on is when I attach the TCS pod back onto the nose. When I removed it with my saw I took a little too much off and I'm left with a nasty gap. I made a shim out of .010" plastic and it helps bridge the gap.

IMG_5669_zpsfqbtcrxi.jpg

The plan is to re-prime the areas that are sanded thru to plastic and get the airframe in one uniform coat. Then I can spray a little Light Ghost Gray around the TCS attachment point, re-mask the TCS pod and get it glued in place. Once the glue dries then I plan on using the Vallejo putty to blend the pod to the nose, that's the plan anyway, we'll see.

IMG_5670_zpszrabfgdy.jpg

Thanks to those who are still following along,

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER