1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

Hi John,

I've looked at the picture of the windscreen rain removal vent, in my Daco book, a couple hundred times and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it look good.

The yaw string will be one of the last bits to go on.

Steve

Good evening all,

Minor update for tonight, I have to thank John S for prodding me to complete this.

I needed to add the windscreen rain removal vent to the front of the Tomcat. Like I said in my previous post, I've looked at this picture in my DACO book probably a hundred times but, I just couldn't figure out how to go about reproducing this.

IMG_5678_zpsox59bd0u.jpg

I decided to try using some Evergreen strip stock, size .060" x .080". After my second try I came up with a pretty good copy, if I do say so myself. I wanted the area that contacts the nose to sit nice and flush so I didn't have to use any filler or sanding that would ruin the panel fastener detail already completed. For the scale it might be a little heavy but, I couldn't work with anything smaller because of my hands. Hopefully with a coat of primer it will blend in better. Thanks John.

IMG_5679_zpshxvgwx0g.jpg

IMG_5682_zpspptfokmw.jpg

IMG_5681_zps0ggnbfr3.jpg

Steve

Greetings all,

Today's update has to do with the Tomcat's tails. The tails were done long ago but, looking at my DACO book along with other reference material and, the rest of the airframe, I needed to add the "panel fastener" detail to the base of the tails. This was a little more stressful considering the tails are pretty much finished with the exception of some more weathering. I'm very happy with the results and looking at them side by side on the jet, the before and after, it was much needed. Now I just need to make the other tail match.

Thanks to everyone who is still following along.

Steve

IMG_5689_zpszxoaevnd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Things are at a stand still until I can get the weather to cooperate, it's simply just too hot and or humid to re-prime the Big Cat. I have to spray here out in the driveway, she will not fit in my booth.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

Minor update for today, favorable weather conditions allowed me to re-prime this beast. There are STILL a few spots I'm not completely happy with so, I hit them with some spot putty. Up next will be another wet sanding with 1200.

Thanks to all who are still following along.

Steve

IMG_5801_zpsxwpttpuw.jpg

IMG_5803_zps4guzzh7y.jpg

40 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Great to see an update!

John

Good 'ole John, one of my most loyal followers, much appreciated sir. I really do appreciate you hanging with this for so long.

Steve

21 hours ago, JohnS said:

... but young at heart. lol

It's your fault Steve.  I'll be hanging around as long as you're doing such a great job (on my favourite aircraft). 

:thumbsup:

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

Wet sanding continues and, progress is being made slow but sure. Most of the top is completed just need to get the sides and the bottom. You don't realize just how big this jet is until you start wet sanding every square inch of her. Hopefully my next update I'll have something to show.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve

7 hours ago, Aigore said:

Keep at it, no such fun like sanding!

BTW have you tried Sanding rondels ? I've done a way with wet sanding thanks to these, I have rondels fron 280 grit to 4000 grit and they're simply wonderful to sand with.

Thanks Aigore. I've never seen these, for modeling purposes that is. We used similar discs in the cabinet shop I worked at but, they were 6 inches in diameter and attached to a sander.

6 hours ago, wardog said:

One step at a time; she's looking great Steve!

E.

Thank you sir, coming from you this is high praise.

I managed to get quite a lot done on the Big Cat today. I took advantage of the beautiful weather we've been having here in Pennsylvania and, worked outside today. Plus, the light was very helpful. I  felt guilty knowing what the poor people of Texas are going thru right now. 

She's about 80% sanded now but, I'm STILL not sure about some spots on her. They may require some more attention before the colors start flying. :angry:

Thanks to all who are staying interested in the project.

Steve

IMG_5813_zps9zazuucz.jpg

IMG_5816_zpsp4e7lhkw.jpg

IMG_5815_zpse09qlqbv.jpg

10 hours ago, Aigore said:

Sooo frikkin huuuuge!

Yeah she is, especially after having to sand the entire airframe. I REALLY hope all this time and hard work pay off.

Steve