1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

11 hours ago, kike said:

So big!!! but so well worked too! looking forward to painting time!!!

Thanks kike, that makes two of us. It's been a LONG journey to get it this far. I am hoping to really hit it hard the next two months and make a lot of progress. (fingers crossed)

7 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

I wonder how heavy this model will become... :))) Quite heavy perhaps. 

It has a little weight to it but, considering the size of the jet, it's not too bad. Thanks for checking in.

Steve

I love watching this beast become a super sexy turkey. I think you are absolutely accomplishing what many of us would love to do but can't. Kudos to you on digging in and making it happen. Every update you post is nothing short of watching perfection come together. Also, I hate riveting. After I did my 3rd 1/48th Revell Tomcat I told myself I would only buy models with proper riveting detail. That said, you've made it look so much more realistic than many of those Trumpeter and Hobby Boss kits. Well done!

6 hours ago, afterburner said:

I love watching this beast become a super sexy turkey. I think you are absolutely accomplishing what many of us would love to do but can't. Kudos to you on digging in and making it happen. Every update you post is nothing short of watching perfection come together. Also, I hate riveting. After I did my 3rd 1/48th Revell Tomcat I told myself I would only buy models with proper riveting detail. That said, you've made it look so much more realistic than many of those Trumpeter and Hobby Boss kits. Well done!

Thanks very much for the kind words afterburner, very much appreciated. Everyone's positive feedback keeps me motivated to see this project thru to the end. I just wish bench time was easier to find.

Steve

Greetings all,
All the wet sanding is finished and hoping to start shooting some colors very soon. Hopefully the next update I'll have something worth showing.
Thanks to everyone who still shows an interest in this project.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,
Time to wake up this thread with a brief update,
I managed to get some weathering on the Tomcat's fuel tanks. With the limited amount of reference pics I was able to find, I came up with this for now. I'm not 100% satisfied with them right now. I'm going to add some "spot repairs" later on but, for now until I get colors on the jet, I'll leave them be.
On a side note, I had knee surgery on Friday the 20th (torn meniscus) so, my mobility is limited for now. Not sure when I'll get colors on the jet now so ......
Thanks to all who are still following along.

Steve

IMG_5831_zps9zhrqx9m.jpg

IMG_5832_zpsvmqr4irp.jpg

IMG_5833_zps93af2ilt.jpg

IMG_5834_zpsmrsnzsmj.jpg

IMG_5835_zpsmxlhtnzo.jpg

IMG_5836_zpshf1wcxmi.jpg

Hi guys,

Minor update for today. I decided to go back and add some arming wire to the nose fuzes, on the MK-83's, using some 34 gauge wire.

Thanks for having a look.

Steve

IMG_5840_zpsi7t2zmip.jpg

IMG_5842_zpskbkwjfrl.jpg

IMG_5841_zpsllk3zqnv.jpg

IMG_5839_zps8o9tvx1y.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Another good looking update, Steve.

Are the inscriptions on the bombs decals, or did you free hand?

Thanks John. The inscriptions were hand done using artist's pencils. I thought that would add a little interest.

Steve

19 hours ago, JohnS said:

They look great, very realistic.

Thanks very much.

19 hours ago, kike said:

I know this hobby is about the details, but you are taking it to another level! you keep doing an exceptional job on this build Steve!  Chapeau!!!

Thanks for the kind words kike, I'm glad some people are still following along. Since I'm taking soooo long on this project I think some people have lost interest.

Steve

4 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Thanks very much.

Thanks for the kind words kike, I'm glad some people are still following along. Since I'm taking soooo long on this project I think some people have lost interest.

Steve

I don't think people have lost interest in your build Steve, they have lost interest in comenting any build! not yours most of the threads are quiet but views are always going up!

Anyway you keep doing your stuff cause is great!!!

Greetings everyone,
Minor update for this week. I managed to get the TCS camera pod attached to the Tomcat's nose. Monday, I decanted some Tamiya Light Ghost Gray and sprayed the area around the TCS pod, using my airbrush. Tuesday, I mixed up some two part epoxy and glued her in place, letting the epoxy dry for around 24 hours before using some Vallejo acrylic putty to fill the gap. The gap was created because I wasn't as accurate, as I thought I was being when I first removed it, with my jewelers saw.
The metal blade antenna popped off again so, I'll leave it go until the final bits get attached. This is the final step I wanted to accomplish before she goes to the paint barn. We'll see what the weekend holds and hopefully by the next update, I'll have some colors to show, fingers crossed.
Thanks to everyone who is still following along, I do appreciate it.

Steve

IMG_5869_zpshqv5y1xo.jpg

IMG_5870_zpsru1gvtvb.jpg

IMG_5872_zpsoskmpn1t.jpg

• 3 months later...

Greetings all,
I just wanted to update those who are still following along with this thread that it's not dead. I've been struggling with my right hand for quite some time now, @10 years and, at the moment it's very difficult to even do the most simplest tasks let alone work an airbrush. Problem is I look at the Big Cat everyday and it eats away at me that I can't work on her properly. In my head, I can see her with colors on, gloss coated and ready for decals but, unfortunately, that's not the case. A lot of you have been very supportive of my work and I truly appreciate that. Hopefully things will get better here soon and I can get back to the bench.

Steve

I want to echo John's comment regarding concern for your hand and hopes for some relief and recovery.

I just found your thread and have been marveling at the endurance you have put in to bring the project so far. Hope you'll get a chance to continue soon so we can see her all painted up.

Hang in there mate!

Things are looking good!

Was thinking about the extratanks...

You could brushpaint spot repairs and bettering paintings. No need for airbrush there. Perhaps dent them a bit too... looking at pics they seem to be scruffy looking things mostly :P

Should liven them up a bit :D hope you start feeling better.

I'm a lurker, I only chime in when someone has a question or if I have anything meaningful to add so lease don't take the lack of comments as if no one is following.

Keep rocking it, your attention to detail is amazing. The Mk 83's and Weapons Rails are spot on.

Just one note, on the drop tanks, you need to add the black chevrons over the filler caps.

GW

Edited by GW8345
On 2/4/2018 at 1:30 PM, JohnS said:

Sorry to hear about your hand Steve.  Here's hoping you recover quickly & can get back to work on your big cat,

John

Thanks John, appreciate that very much.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:18 AM, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I want to echo John's comment regarding concern for your hand and hopes for some relief and recovery.

I just found your thread and have been marveling at the endurance you have put in to bring the project so far. Hope you'll get a chance to continue soon so we can see her all painted up.

Thanks very much.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:37 AM, Aigore said:

Hang in there mate!

Things are looking good!

Was thinking about the extratanks...

You could brushpaint spot repairs and bettering paintings. No need for airbrush there. Perhaps dent them a bit too... looking at pics they seem to be scruffy looking things mostly :P

Should liven them up a bit :D hope you start feeling better.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, GW8345 said:

I'm a lurker, I only chime in when someone has a question or if I have anything meaningful to add so lease don't take the lack of comments as if no one is following.

Keep rocking it, your attention to detail is amazing. The Mk 83's and Weapons Rails are spot on.

Just one note, on the drop tanks, you need to add the black chevrons over the filler caps.

GW

Thanks GW.

Steve