1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

On 7/11/2018 at 4:49 AM, John Wolstenholme said:

Steve, the time we have all been waiting for, but take however long it takes. Presumably these are cut from a continuous carrier film printing? What's the purpose of the tag to many of the decals?

You're looking real good.

John.

You would be correct John,  the whole sheet is one big decal, hence the cutting out. Those "tabs" are so I can grab the decal with my tweezers. I've gently sliced the carrier film in those locations so the decal comes off. Thanks again for the kind words and following this project.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

On 7/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, my favs are F`s said:

although i would go with mixt masking for some of them, in this scale they should look fabulous! Very nice prep-step here Steve. Beautiful! Make them look brilliant!

I tried to get stencils made but, couldn't find anyone to do them. I would have preferred to paint on the bigger markings.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:35 PM, CaptainObvious said:

Way to go Steve!

Energy level +10?
Fantastic progress.

Thanks very much, this stage of the build has re-motivated me. I'm looking forward to seeing markings on her finally.

Steve

Steve, haven't you tried with the people who make die vinyl decals? they did some masks for my Sukhoi and worked great! I guess in that scale that shouldnt be a problem! we all know those marks will look way better if painted! give it a try!

18 hours ago, kike said:

Steve, haven't you tried with the people who make die vinyl decals? they did some masks for my Sukhoi and worked great! I guess in that scale that shouldnt be a problem! we all know those marks will look way better if painted! give it a try!

Everyone I contacted, going back 6 years,  wanted big bucks to do custom decals or masks. I would have much preferred to paint the big stuff but, then you run into the problem of mixed media ( painted on markings and decals ), they probably won't match. Besides some of the parts are already finished with decals so, I'll continue on with what I have. At least they will all match and, when I'm finished with the decals and flat coat, they'll look painted on anyway.

Steve

Good afternoon all,

I had a very productive weekend getting the decals on the Big Cat. I'd like to wait until ALL the decals are applied before I show it off but, here's a teaser for those loyal followers. Thanks all for staying along for the ride.

Steve

IMG_6016_zpsjmr4jcek.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

At least they will all match and, when I'm finished with the decals and flat coat, they'll look painted on anyway.

Steve, I think the photo confirms you made the right choice. Never done any mask applied markings, but wouldn't you end up with  raised edges, to then have to W&D them out? As you say, they look painted on.

I feel the need for speed.

John.

16 hours ago, Bravosierra001 said:

SWEET!!! The decals look great. Good idea about leaving the tabs.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, much appreciated. Yes, the "tabs" were very helpful.

I'm just waiting on a few decals that were not on the sheet and, all the decals will be finished. She looks really, really good BTW !!

9 hours ago, John Wolstenholme said:

Steve, I think the photo confirms you made the right choice. Never done any mask applied markings, but wouldn't you end up with  raised edges, to then have to W&D them out? As you say, they look painted on.

I feel the need for speed.

John.

Thanks John. As for the raised edges, the masks are made from the same tape as Tamiya's tape so, I would think they would be minimal but, yes still there. These are not your traditional "water slide" decals btw, they are called a "digital press" ?? They perform very well on a flat surface, raised or recessed areas, not so much. Let's just say that my bottle of Walthers Solvaset is getting good use and, I think I'm winning the battle.

Steve

Greetings everyone,
Mini update tonight, The wingtip “slime” lights have proven to be the biggest PITA so far. Mostly self induced because I had to add the small black lines from my stash and, no, they were not fun to cut out. With my arm / hand issue this took quite a while to do.
Thanks for looking.
Steve

IMG_6019_zpsfxkvwhts.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Peterpools said:

HI Steve

Catching up and staying current and what a fantastic project.Slim lights look real good

Keep 'em comin

Peter :thumbsup:

Thanks very much Peter, appreciate your kind words.

Steve

I'm really itching to move on with this project and come back and add the last 3 decals later on ?? Thoughts on this anybody.

Steve

1 minute ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I'm really itching to move on with this project and come back and add the last 3 decals later on ?? Thoughts on this anybody.

Personally, since this build has been on the go for a long time, I'd take my time & finish the build properly.  Of course, this is from the guy that takes years to finish his builds. :whistle:

Ultimately, you do what you think is best.  I'll be here watching whichever way you go. :naughty:

John

Thanks for the input John, I appreciate your thoughts.

It's just that my motivation was on the go and I was really moving along with things. I don't want to get in a funk again. BTW, the decals I'm waiting on are the two national insignias for the wings and the Grumman Ironworks artwork for the starboard side radome.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

Since I'm waiting on some replacement decals for the Big Cat, I decided to turn my attention to the GBU-16's. JSI did a very nice job representing them but, they can be " kicked up a notch." There is a small hexagon shaped area on the CCG, (Computer Control Group). This area is the electrical hookup spot for the bomb dump guys (AMMO) to connect their equipment to do their tests on the CCG to make sure everything works as advertised before delivering the munitions to the flightline loaders. This hexagon shape should be on the topside of the CCG because right next to it is the BFD (Battery Firing Device) and, right behind that is the arming wire guide all which run right in line with the bombs lugs.
I had to fill in the old holes and drill new ones. I'm also sanding away the seam that runs thru the bomb body and will use BIC "Wite Out" to replace the bombs coating ( just like I did on the MK-83's ). I'll also need to scratch build a BFD for the arming wire to connect to. I would like to get rid of the seam on the CCG but, the fins cover up some of that and I think I should just leave well enough alone.
With these two GBU-16's and my four MK-83's, I'll be able to change up the loadout on the Big Cat from time to time. Thanks to all who are still continuing to follow along, I do appreciate it very much. 

Steve

IMG_6034_zpsoyysbbtw.jpg

IMG_6032_zpsepl33doz.jpg

IMG_6035_zpsqgdgvfvj.jpg

IMG_6033_zps7xc7jfbg.jpg

Greetings all,
Minor update for today but, progress anyway. Still no decals but, managed to get the bomb bodies sanded down, with 320 and wiped down with rubbing alcohol and masked them up prior to paint. First thing however was to apply the thermal coating to the bomb bodies, like I did with my MK-83's. The Wite Out was applied last night and today I shall paint the yellow areas for the bomb body stripes. Once that dries, I'll mask off the stripes and spray the bomb bodies. Then I'll scratch-build the Battery Firing Device (BFD) and, add the arming wire.
Thanks for following along, until the next update ...

Steve

IMG_6041_zpsh63fnuli.jpg

IMG_6042_zpsyses5gco.jpg