1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

Hey Steve, that’s novel and most convincing using Wite Out (I assume what we call Tipex or Snopake) to simulate the thermal coating. Also, love the lateral thinking of being able to vary the loadout. But A-10 Loader, wouldn’t expect anything else. :thumbsup:

Are the awaited decals ones which got ‘overlooked’, or to replace?

It’s going to be a stunner.

John.

16 minutes ago, John Wolstenholme said:

Hey Steve, that’s novel and most convincing using Wite Out (I assume what we call Tipex or Snopake) to simulate the thermal coating. Also, love the lateral thinking of being able to vary the loadout. But A-10 Loader, wouldn’t expect anything else. :thumbsup:

Are the awaited decals ones which got ‘overlooked’, or to replace?

It’s going to be a stunner.

John.

Thanks for the kind words John and yes, I can never do just anything simple.

The awaited decals were one that needed to be corrected, text was shifted to one side and, the wrong font used for the text. The national insignias were overlooked.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Greetings everyone,

Minor update for today but, progress none the less. I managed to get the bombs sprayed Light Ghost Gray. Up next, a coat of semi-gloss, some weathering and, the flat coat.
Thanks to all who still stay interested in my work.

Steve

IMG_6060_zpsx9tu5bqb.jpg

Thanks very much Peter, much appreciated.

The bombs were coated with semi-gloss and weathered today. Tomorrow I'll flat coat them and then work on the BFD and the tail fin release mechanism as well as the arming wire.

Steve

Greetings everyone,

Minor update for tonight.

Weathering on and flat coated. I still need to do the BFD,  wing release mechanism (the the tail fin assembly) and, add arming wire. 

IMG_6061_zpsswyqmi1f.jpg

I think with the limited ability with my hands / arms, this may have to suffice for the BFD, (small brass pin), I just need to paint it silver. I'm still working on something that I'll be happy with for the tail fin assembly. 

IMG_6062_zpsnjehsou4.jpg

Thanks to all who still stay interested in my work. I'm hoping that my replacement decals show up soon, I really want to keep this project moving along.

Steve

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Steve

Holy Cow, the MK 83's look spectacular

Keep 'em comin

Peter :thumbsup:

Thanks very much Peter.

Adding the details to the GBU-16's. This is about as good as I could do with my hands. All this took me about 5 hours, until I was satisfied with it. It's probably too big scale wise but, I couldn't do anything smaller.

IMG_6065_zpsune4fh6d.jpg

A small piece of brass rod will serve as the BFD.

IMG_6063_zpshe3zxtly.jpg

The wing assembly release latch was made from some evergreen plastic strip and some brass rod. A "trench" was carved into the plastic stock and a small hole drilled, at an angel, that will accept the brass rod. The plastic stock was left long so I can handle it while painting. After the paint is dry I'll install the brass rod and cut it to it's final length and glue the whole assembly to the tail wing assembly. Then I can finish off the bombs with some arming wire.
Again, I truly appreciate all of those who are still following along.

Steve

6 minutes ago, freshnewstart said:

Correct me if im wrong, but i think they look very much like this? 🙂 

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/military/rocketry/gbu-12

The GBU-12 is based on the smaller 500lb Mk82 while both GBU-16 and the 1000lb Mk83 is mentioned in the thread. They look exactly the same just the dimensions are larger on the GBU-16/Mk83. But don't take my word for it I'm sure Steve will settle the matter when he gets to it 😄

36 minutes ago, Aigore said:

The GBU-12 is based on the smaller 500lb Mk82 while both GBU-16 and the 1000lb Mk83 is mentioned in the thread. They look exactly the same just the dimensions are larger on the GBU-16/Mk83. But don't take my word for it I'm sure Steve will settle the matter when he gets to it 😄

I'm sure he will 🙂 This is friendly asking because i just want to learn.. 

Jesper

2 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Thanks for the kind words guys.

What Aigore said is 100% correct. And yes the GBU-16 is a PAVEWAY II as well.

Steve

Thanks 🙂 

It actually made me surf around and read a bit.. aint finished with that yet 🙂 

Jesper

5 hours ago, freshnewstart said:

Thanks 🙂 

It actually made me surf around and read a bit.. aint finished with that yet 🙂 

Jesper

It's always good to educate yourself about your build. Research is a VERY IMPORTANT part of getting a build as accurate as possible.

Steve

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Steve

Looks absolutely impressive and way to go!

Keep 'em comin

Peter :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the kind words and for following along Peter. I just have the arming cables, for the BFD and the wing release latch, to do and they'll be complete. Hopefully some pics soon.

Steve

Greetings everyone,
Today's update, The GBU’s are complete !! Subtle changes but, they’re more accurate and look better IMO. Now I can change the loadout from time to time on my Big Cat.

IMG_6073_zpsbojtmufc.jpg

BFD added to the CCG and it’s arming cable. I even added the Pulse Decoder setting dials ( 3 small black dots) to the CCG.

IMG_6077_zpscylfwxww.jpg

Scratch-built Wing Release Mechanism and latch with arming cable. Both of these arming cables SHOULD be wrapped around the two rear sway braces (one on each side) of the bomb rack but, then I couldn't change the loadout. Close enough to give the illusion.

IMG_6078_zpsrvftwtw3.jpg

Now I just need my 3 replacement decals to show up and I can press on with this build. Without them, I'm at a standstill. Hopefully they show up sooner than later.
Thanks for all those who are still following along.

Steve

My goodness they do look most realistic Steve. I guess I now know what I have to do with my GBU-27s, but without the thermal coating. Would you know if GBU-27s can be armed from both sides.  Just thinking when they’re hung under the 117, there doesn’t seem to be a load of room between the door and bomb on the stbd side of the weapons bay.

Thanks

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme
5 hours ago, John Wolstenholme said:

My goodness they do look most realistic Steve. I guess I now know what I have to do with my GBU-27s, but without the thermal coating. Would you know if GBU-27s can be armed from both sides.  Just thinking when they’re hung under the 117, there doesn’t seem to be a load of room between the door and bomb on the stbd side of the weapons bay.

Thanks

John

Thanks very much John, much appreciated.

I never loaded GBU-27's but, I know the whole tail fin assembly can be rotated so I would think both wing release mechanism's would face each other in the bomb bay, towards the center, so the loaders could have better access ?? I'm not sure and that's a great question. We would need someone who worked F-117A's to give us a proper answer.

Steve