1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

NAILED IT, Steve, you NAILED the correct weathered finish!   Terrific job.  One small suggestion, if I may, is that I don't think the radome is weathered like the rest of the aircraft, because there is no corrosion control on it.  It's not pristine either, but it should look a bit cleaner than the rest of the jet.  Check out the radome on the F-14D "Christine".

Cheers,

Chuck

7 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

NAILED IT, Steve, you NAILED the correct weathered finish!   Terrific job.  One small suggestion, if I may, is that I don't think the radome is weathered like the rest of the aircraft, because there is no corrosion control on it.  It's not pristine either, but it should look a bit cleaner than the rest of the jet.  Check out the radome on the F-14D "Christine".

Cheers,

Chuck

Good 'ole Chuck, where ya been buddy !!??

Thanks very much for your kind words and, I see what your saying but,  I would think that the topside of the forward nose area would get bleached from the sun just as much as the rest of the body would. I do understand and agree with you about the "corrosion control" part though. This step was mostly for "lightening up" the top color. There's still more to do.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

23 hours ago, wardog said:

Steve,

The paint is coming along very nicely and giving that last bit of character to finish her up. Good luck as you head towards the finish line.

-Elmo

Thanks Elmo for checking in and having a look. I highly regard your opinions and, that means a lot coming from you, much appreciated, thanks again.

Steve

23 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

The sun bleached finish looks great!!!
-co 

Thanks very much CaptainObvious, I appreciate the kind words.

Steve

4 hours ago, freshnewstart said:

And now, the end is near.. 

Amazing journey !!

Thank you very much 😊:salute:

Jesper

Thanks Jesper but, still more to do yet.

4 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Loooovely subtle weathering! 

Thanks, glad you approve.

Steve

Just a quick note to say THANK YOU to everyone following along with this seemingly never ending project. WOW, over 100,000 views !! I am truly humbled and really appreciate all your support. Thanks again everyone.

Steve

17 hours ago, f22luvr said:

Such incredible work. I wish I had 10% of your talent. I cant wait to see the finished kit.

Thanks very much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw.

Steve

18 hours ago, Danny FXDC said:

Awesome work.  Could you please explain how you did the sun fading?

Thanks Danny.

All I did was add a small amount of Model Master Insignia White to the top color.  I used a #1 needle in my Paasche VLS airbrush and tested , on my paint mule, until I was happy with the mix/look. I started on fixing my mistake from last time and,  as I sprayed, I kept stopping and stepping back from my work to see how things were progressing from different angels. I was pretty happy so, I continued on and, what you see is how it ended up. I really had to thin the mix down however to get the proper flow at low air pressure.

Steve

Greetings everyone,
Today's update focuses on the "mottling" of the bottom color on the Big Cat, to give it that worn, blotchy look. I used highly thinned Dark Ghost Gray and sprayed very lightly all around the belly of the jet as well as on some of the parts. Up next is a semi-gloss coat followed by adding the dirt and grime. I have to admit, this is my first attempt at weathering a Naval jet and, I'm quite happy with the results.
Thanks for following along and, enjoy the pics.

Steve

IMG_6138_zps3yrj970h.jpg

IMG_6140_zpsy0gdijcl.jpg

IMG_6141_zpsrvoza6si.jpg

IMG_6142_zpsdkb8exvw.jpg

IMG_6143_zpscebcno2x.jpg

14 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Stevie Wonder, that looks terrific!  You are really getting the hang of this Navy weathered/maintenance look.

Cheers,

Chuck

😄 Thanks buddy, I appreciate those kind words.

Steve

Greetings all,
Today's update pertains to the weathering on the back end of the jet. This was accomplished using pastels, paint and, a paint pen. I'm really happy with how she's looking and had fun while doing it. I also fixed up the fuel tanks as well. Still much more to do but, progress is being made.
Thanks for all your continued support during this lengthy project. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Steve

IMG_6145_zpskro2dw12.jpg

IMG_6144_zps0ejx3uww.jpg

IMG_6148_zpsut5ptjis.jpg

IMG_6146_zpsqmcbgtnn.jpg

IMG_6147_zpsxcssiy3r.jpg

IMG_6149_zps9ljlactf.jpg

IMG_6150_zpsanyovttn.jpg

2 hours ago, Aigore said:

Now that is gorgeous! Looks like you fou your stride 😄

Thank Aigore, I have to admit I'm really enjoying this part of the process.

Steve