1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

4 hours ago, freshnewstart said:

So am i, and all of us i dare to say.. It will be the Coolest Tomcatmodel ever!!

Thanks freshnewstart, I appreciate your kind feedback. I'm not too sure about the "coolest Tomcat model ever" part but, I'm happy with how she is looking so far. There are A LOT of talented people here on this site that blow me away.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

4 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

The weathering is looking great!

-co

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Gee, Steve!  Just when I thought you were just about finished, too. 😀

She's looking better & better. :thumbsup:

John

Thanks boys, John she's getting closer and closer.

Steve

8 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Thanks freshnewstart, I appreciate your kind feedback. I'm not too sure about the "coolest Tomcat model ever" part but, I'm happy with how she is looking so far. There are A LOT of talented people here on this site that blow me away.

Steve

We have this very old saying.; sæt ikke dit lys under en skæppe .. Can be translated to : Dont sell your shine to cheap..

This big model you are about to finish, is a outstanding journey, with an amazing result..You earned every rose you get..

Jesper

On 10/22/2018 at 6:41 PM, freshnewstart said:

We have this very old saying.; sæt ikke dit lys under en skæppe .. Can be translated to : Dont sell your shine to cheap..

This big model you are about to finish, is a outstanding journey, with an amazing result..You earned every rose you get..

Jesper

Thanks very much.

Steve

Update for today,
I went back over the top surfaces of the jet, with a thin coat of the Medium Gray, just to knock back the "sun bleached" effect and blend things together more. Thanks for staying interested in this build and enjoy the pics.

Steve

IMG_6157_zpskzhvuq2y.jpg

IMG_6158_zpscpb5hklc.jpg

IMG_6162_zpssuhkzert.jpg

IMG_6159_zps1z8xtumi.jpg

IMG_6161_zpsezuivspp.jpg

21 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Totally cool.  Wow!

Chuck

Thanks very much Chuck, I appreciate that. As I've said in the past many times, your  opinion, which I highly regard, means a lot to me.

I'm currently working on the top surfaces of the jet, weathering her up and adding the dirt and grime. I'm also working on an idea for the wing sweep wear marks and I'm hoping to have something worth posting soon.

Steve

Greetings everyone,
I'm thinking this will be my last update until the jet is completed. I want my final reveal to be a surprise for everyone and, because she's so close, I don't want to give anything away until she's completed.
I was able to get the entire jet weathered and gloss coated again, to lock in all the weathering and to also help darken up the colors so that when I flat coat her, the colors won't fade away.
I need to fix one slime light decal, flat coat her, do the metal colored areas and then I can unmask her ( I'm really looking forward to that part, hopefully no over-spray found it's way inside the cockpit ) and get all the pieces added to her.
I'm hoping with in the next two weeks, at the very latest, to have a finished product to show all of you. Thanks to everyone who stayed on this ride until the end, I appreciate it very much.

Steve

On 10/31/2018 at 2:26 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

I need to fix one slime light decal, flat coat her, do the metal colored areas and then I can unmask her ( I'm really looking forward to that part, hopefully no over-spray found it's way inside the cockpit ) and get all the pieces added to her.
Steve

Always the fear of every modeler, because the fix is just about impossible to do.  Good luck Steve!  I'm really looking forward to the final reveal.

Cheers,

Chuck

On 11/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Always the fear of every modeler, because the fix is just about impossible to do.  Good luck Steve!  I'm really looking forward to the final reveal.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, the good news is there was no over spray in side the cockpit, thank God.

I've been busy adding all the small details to the jet, all the fuselage probes along with a scratch-built Temperature probe, an old sewing needle was used for the port side "pointy" Angle of Attack Sensor, yaw string, blade antenna to the bottom of the TCS pod ( for the third and, hopefully LAST time ).  Unmasked all the glass, cleaned it all up and, polished it and, also unmasked the wingtip lights, glove vane lights, walkways and, the TCS pod. 

She's getting closer everyday, hopefully not too much longer.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,
Just a quick note to let you all know that my Tomcat was completed on Tuesday the 14th, how ironic eh and, pics will follow shortly.
Thanks to all who followed along.

Steve

59 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Greetings all,
Just a quick note to let you all know that my Tomcat was completed on Tuesday the 14th, how ironic eh and, pics will follow shortly.
Thanks to all who followed along.

Steve

Wow, I don't think my old bod can handle the shock! :thumbsup2:

Congrats Steve on keeping focused on completing this project over the years.  It's been a great trip.

Can't wait to see photos of the finished big 'cat.  

John

1 hour ago, chuck540z3 said:

Just noticed this.  Fanfrickingtastic!

Cheers,

Chuck

Yes sir, very happy to find no over spray inside the cockpit or canopy.

Steve

26 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Wow, I don't think my old bod can handle the shock! :thumbsup2:

Congrats Steve on keeping focused on completing this project over the years.  It's been a great trip.

Can't wait to see photos of the finished big 'cat.  

John

Thanks John, hopefully you'll approve of the final product.

Steve

Brief update,

I'm still trying to get pics of the Big Cat outside. I've tried taking some of her inside but, the lighting just dosen't do her justice. As soon as the weather cooperates, I 'll post them.

Steve

If you want to do the slime lights up get some of this tape https://www.ebay.com/itm/10M-Luminous-Tape-Self-adhesive-Glow-In-The-Dark-Safety-Stage-Sticker-Home-Decor/263176880908?hash=item3d4690830c:m:mi8TYcWPzcbNNdA63pGJQfw:rk:21:pf:0&var=562173480271

It is .006" thick (has backing paper) and is white colored when viewed during daylight but glows green in the dark after exposure to bright light. It stays illuminated for quite a while in the dark too. It will also stay stuck, good adhesive, so should work well on the wing tips too!

I paid $1 for 10 meters (1/2" wide)with free shipping and it took a couple of weeks to get here on the left coast so it may take longer to get to you on the right side of the US.

Awesome work by the way, wish I could say something that hasn't been said by others..😉

Edited by Sgt Shultz II

Greetings all,

Some "detail" shots to share with you and the final pics will be in The Display Case later on today. Thanks everyone for sticking around.

Steve

Yaw string added using a piece of 34 gauge wire painted Insignia White.

IMG_6173_zpspwowqbje.jpg

The "pointy" Angle of Attack Sensor Probe replaced with the tip of an old sewing needle.

IMG_6174_zpsecs1jxlh.jpg

Probes added to the port side of the jet.

IMG_6184_zpsplohs7w2.jpg

Probes added to the starboard side of the jet.

IMG_6186_zpslbs9cf2f.jpg

IMG_6188_zpsdtuyozdl.jpg

IMG_6189_zpsqxoo2odu.jpg

IMG_6192_zpslkdhk6oa.jpg

IMG_6193_zpsrurl2fpt.jpg

IMG_6196_zpsav518tai.jpg

IMG_6197_zpsyv5e8ujl.jpg

IMG_6199_zpsjlnpxesr.jpg

IMG_6198_zps6tsxtuem.jpg

IMG_6203_zpse2rfrowc.jpg

IMG_6204_zpshsx5gx1i.jpg

IMG_6207_zps1yemiqut.jpg