1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

IMG_3210_zpsf3e2e46f.jpg

Got a little something done today. This was scavenged from one of my sons broken toy jets ( a GI Joe F-22 ) sitting in the closet. Now it will seve as the RIO's control stick. I had to saw off the very top and spin it 90 degrees so the flat face was facing up. Some primer, black paint and a few color dots for certain buttons and it will be ready to install. Even though you really won't be able to see it, once the aircrew is installed and the canopy closed, at least I know it's in there and the B cockpit is done right.

Steve

IMG_3215_zpsfe7ff043.jpg

Here is the new " scratch-built " Programmable Tactical Information Display ( PTID ), which was a significant upgrade for the rear cockpit of the Bombcat. Came out well IMO and, was well worth the effort.

Steve

IMG_3214_zpsa9b6f603.jpg

Another important upgrade for the Bombcat was the PTID stick. This is the RIO's control stick for the LANTRIN pod. Again, once the aircrew are installed and the canopy closed you 'll not be able to see much of these added details for the B model but, at least I know they are there and it's done correctly.

Steve

IMG_3227_zps6cdc6ac4.jpg

These are the wing glove sealing plates that I made using .010" sheet plastic. I deceided to make them big so they were easier to work with. Once they are glued into place you'll only see about a 1/16" of the edge.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3249_zpsf46dfe9a.jpg

I sanded and drilled out the tip of the AIM-9 to accept an MV lens, (light lenses for model trains) which will now serve as the "seeker head" for the missle. This will look more realistic than just painting the tip.

Steve

IMG_3248_zps7ffc476c.jpg

These are the MV lenses that I'm using for the seeker heads. I had these in my stash box. I use these ALOT on my 1/48th model for landing lights but, sadly these are no longer available.

Edited by A-10 LOADER

IMG_3233_zps8e97f9ca.jpg

Next up, modifying the aft end fuselage fairings. The B/D's had a more squared fairing than the rounded ones found on the A models. Still throwing around ideas on how to tackle this ........

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_3271_zps219d924b.jpg

This shot shows the aft end fuselage fairings after being reworked.I can not take credit for this work however, a good friend of mine helped me out, thanks BUZZ !! I couldn't figure out how to get to this point. What a difference and now it looks like a B model should. Have to get some primer on this area and check for any imperfections.

Steve

Crackerjazz, it's a Tomcat, what's not to like!! Yes it is a big beast. I have another one, a VF-154 F-14A "BOMBCAT". JSI did a much better job on the finish of that one so, this one will just be assembled and displayed once the case is made for it. Thanks for looking.

Steve

Work on the big Cat has been slow lately, dealing with family issues. I'm getting parts ready for primer. I kept looking at the chin pod and wasn't really happy with it's plain look so, I deceided to add some fastener details. This shot is a BEFORE one and the second set of photos are AFTER adding the details. I am looking for feedback on this so, please comment. I used a #73 drill bit. I didn't want to go too small because primer and painting would have filled them in. I tried to go off of what was already on the jet from the factory. Do they look too large ?? I figured by the time I primed they would get filled in a little and become less obvious.

Now the issue becomes, where do I stop on the jet with this detail. This is a problem I have, I tend to try and do too much to my projects and I get frustrated and they don't get finished. Comments and suggestions are welcomed, thanks guys.

Steve