1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

IMG_3355_zpsa2fccd3e.jpg

The more I looked at the tails the more I wanted to replace the lights on them so, out came the saw and now they are ready to receive the new lights. This old toothbrush, from my stash bin, will do the trick. I won't even have to paint it, bonus !

Steve

IMG_3367_zps75732986.jpg

Here's some shots of the tail lights finished up. Some super glue to secure them in place, a little shaping with my rotorary tool and, some wet sanding, followed up with a buffing with the rotary tool. Look MUCH better in my opinion and, now the tails are ready for some primer.

Steve

maybe I missed it (I can't find it) but what squadron will you be making? I've got one of these behemoths on top of my entertainment center, though I don't know that I'll be repainting it or modifying it any time soon, lol

• 1 month later...

IMG_3463_zpsf34b299c.jpg

Time to get this project rolling again, I was finally able to get some things in primer today. Everything looks good, no more filling and wet sanding for these items, ready for paint next.

Steve

My friend , who is doing the resin bombs and bomb racks, recently changed his email. The new one is dyersart1@verizon.net. He just had some surgery done so he said he should be back up and running by mid week.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_3473_zpsd57a8306.jpg

Finally something to show after all the prep work. Colors applied to some of the parts. Tails are FS36081 Euro 1 Grey ( Model Master spray can ) and, the rest of the parts are FS36375 Light Ghost Grey ( Tamiya spray can ). I decided to use the cans over my airbrush because I felt the parts were too big. Too much area to cover. This is the first time I've ever used spray cans for my models but, I must say that they worked beautifully. I swear by MM paints and use nothing else but, the Tamiya paint sprays so nice and it has such a fine pigment that you can't tell it was done with cans.

Some additional colors need to be applied to some of the parts then I can gloss coat them before weathering.

IMG_3478_zpsfe13279b.jpg

Working on the Resin nozzels while the rest of the other painted parts dry. I have to prime, gloss coat, weather then flat coat the inside before I can move on to the outside.

Steve

IMG_3481_zps02ffff2b.jpg

Received my other 2 resin bomb racks and BDU-50's yesterday, thanks Ted. Marking the hole locations, for the bomb racks, on the forward pallets. Once they are installed I can get everything in primer and apply some color.

Steve

Outstanding work! To take an already made kit and make it look 10X better takes a lot of patience and skill. I know a bit about Tomcats having made two 1/32 Tamiya versions and your details are spot on. :thumbsup:

IMG_3496_zps45ee7599.jpg

Decided to do a little panel fastener detail work today on the Cat. It came with some but needed some more IMO. Hopefully when everything is painted you'll still be able to see it.

Steve

d69960a1-a625-4512-8e77-0e01f89af582_zps0056fc47.jpg

Close up shot showing the details added to the beaver tail section. I used a #78 drill bit in my pin vise. I also had to scribe in some panel lines.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER