1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

IMG_3555_zps976f1f57.jpg

I decided to redo the ventral fins, the black just didn't look right to me today. I mixed some red and brown pastels together to create the hydraulic fluid color. I think they look a lot better this way.

Steve

IMG_3562_zpse9ec1e8c.jpg

This shot shows some of the little details added to the back of the pallets, ( all 4 got the same details added. ) I closed up most of the large U shaped opening in the back end, drilled the small hole and, added the equipment data plates using sheet plastic. Thanks for looking.

Steve

IMG_3565_zps9bdb43eb.jpg

Another small update for today, I did a little more work on the AIM-9's. I painted the 3 steel bands on the main missile body, painted the small steel band where the seeker head meets the warhead and, put some black paint in the Influence fuze windows. I will put a few drops of Microscale Kristal Klear in them to create the windows. Also added the argon bottle door to the warhead section as well.

Steve

IMG_3566_zpsd6a50b24.jpg

I also got the GBU-16's ready for some paint work as well. The forward fins are moveable and just pulled right off. This makes life ALOT easier to paint the brown section of the CCG. These will get painted at the same time I do the brown bands on the AIM-9's.

Steve

Thanks Jesse, it's been about 13 years so it's taking a while to get back in the swing of things. Plus, a lot has changed in the modeling world in that time as well. I'm trying to get a lot of the smaller sub-assemblies, ( at least the ones that don't require decals which I am waiting on ), finished up so I can get back to the main body and just concentrate on getting that finished as well. I gonna have to get use to using an airbrush again as well.

Steve

Suggestions welcomed, thanks for looking.

Steve

Steve. Your work on everything is really, really excellent. One small concern I have is the thickness of the burner cans. I know this is not Critique Corner, but I'd hate to see your fantastic work so far be compromised by something fairly easy to "fix". I offer this suggestion with the best of intentions- those exhausts should be thinned a bit, likely from the inside so the exterior detail remains in tact.

BTW, The AIM -9M's are killer perfect! :thumbsup:/>

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck, you are correct about the cans. I kept going back and forth on how to do it. I was terrified on destroying them during the process plus, I would have lost all the details of the feathers on the outside after grinding them down. Maybe I should have thinned them from the inside, it would have been easier to replicate that detail instead ?? I'll have to see if I can still get another set of cans before I ruin these.

The AIM-9's are coming out well thanks. I still need to paint the yellow and brown bands on them as well as make the forward fins look more like bare metal before I flat coat them. The last thing will be to install the MV lens seeker heads followed by a little Tamiya clear smoke.

Thanks for the support crackerjazz. I wish I had a dollar for every AIM-9 I uploaded or downloaded, LOL.

Steve

Well done. Damn it, not you've got me thinking seriously about doing this ??!! The guy I purchased these from hasn't replied to me email as of yet. What to do, what to do .......

Steve

P.S. What makes things worse is that hockey season is closing in so this will allow even less time to work on the Cat.

IMG_3568_zpsc12da3c2.jpg

Todays small update, got the radome of the AIM-7 painted and masked out for the brown bands on the AIM-7 and 9's. Hoping to get the brown and yellow bands shot on these guys this week as well as getting the brown on the forward section of the CCG on the GBU's. I also hope to get the inert MK-82's and tail fin assemblies painted, we'll see. Thanks for checking in on the build.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_3577_zps06ea02d9.jpg

Glad the forums are back I really missed seeing everyone's projects !

Made some headway this week, got the MK-82 LD's ( "SMURF KILLERS" ) painted and got the brown painted on the CCG's of the GBU-16's. Next up a gloss coating, some minor weathering and, flat coat.

Steve

IMG_3579_zpsd454a98c.jpg

Brown and yellow bands painted on the AIM-9's and AIM-7. I still have to paint the fins on the AIM-7 and add the proximity fuses to the missiles forward section plus some other small paint work prior to gloss coating them all.

IMG_3580_zpsc11ca58e.jpg

Weathered, flat coated, Parafilm masking removed and, some Tamiya clear red added to the light and the TCS pod is complete ( I just have to add a small antenna to it ). I'm really happy how it came out. Thanks for looking.

Steve