1/18th F-14B Tomcat conversion

IMG_3594_zps062b2d38.jpg

Small update but, progress none the less. Got the fins painted and sealed on the AIM-9's and AIM-7. I used Model Master metalizer paint " Titanium " and then buffed them out with a Q-Tip. After all these years of modeling this was my first time using metalizer paint, pretty cool stuff. It really is amazing how good they look once buffed out. Next up, a little more paint work to the missiles exhaust areas. Thanks for following along.

Steve

IMG_3606_zps3172a552.jpg

IMG_3607_zps3a088fe5.jpg

IMG_3608_zps899a74f3.jpg

For some reason Photobucket doesn't seem to want to cooperate with me today. All these images, in my Photobucket library, were edited, cropped, etc. but, those images won't show up here !!?? Oh well, moving on .....

Today's update is all about finishing up the smaller sub-assemblies of the Big Cat, at times these seemed like small projects themselves. Here are the two forward pallets with the BDU-50's on board. The bombs are not glued on but fit snugly, so I can change the loadout from time to time. I also have the GBU-16's that need a little more work yet. It feels good to finally see all those hours of research, filling and sanding, priming, painting, etc. pay off. I am real happy with how the project is going so far and will continue to try and make SOME progress each day. Now that the NHL season is underway this will be tough. Thanks for following along and I hope you all are enjoying this as much as I am.

Steve

IMG_3614_zpsfe37594a.jpg

IMG_3615_zpsa4527cef.jpg

IMG_3616_zps2990843d.jpg

Another sub-assembly almost finished but, coming along nicely. The AIM-9's and AIM-7 along with their launchers and pylons. I still have some work to do to the missiles before I can say they're 100% finished but again, nice to see things coming together. Til next time

Steve

Good morning everyone,

While some other parts are drying I decided to tackle the LANTIRN pod. This is JSI's version, beautifully done but, the heads laser window and FLIR are all wrong.

IMG_3634_zps2e72b00a.jpg

My reference photos show what they should look like.

IMG_3626_zps6ce29c40.jpg

I popped off the old lenses and sanded down the face of the FLIR ( there was some glue residue that needed to be removed ). I cut a new FLIR window out of an old notebook subject divider page that was about the right color and used an MV lens for the laser eye held in place with some blue tak. Once I got the MV lens and the FLIR window at the right spot I used a little CA glue to hold them in place.

IMG_3630_zps85623266.jpg

On the left is the original JSI version and on the right is my updated version. Looks a lot better IMO. Now I can get ride of the seams and sink marks and make it look like it should. Thanks for checking in.

IMG_3631_zps519981fb.jpg

IMG_3632_zpsfcfbdf66.jpg

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Today's update, look what showed up in the mailbox today !! A HUGE THANK YOU to Brian P. at FIGHTERTOWN DECALS for helping with out with these for the Big Cat project. Some of the parts are ready for decals so, I am excited to give them a try. Hopefully over the weekend I get a chance to use them. Thanks for checking in.

IMG_3652_zpsfff490b3.jpg

Steve

Good afternoon everyone,

Small update today to revive this thread. Decaled the tails today. It's been around 13 years since I've played with decals so it's taking a little bit to get back in the groove. It's also my first time using Fightertown decals. The decals are great, amazingly thin, more so than what I am use to, and they go down real nice. Since they are so thin you have to be very precise with your placement, which I learned very quickly. The skull and crossbones gave me a little battle but, everything work out thankfully. I will need to hit the skull sides again with more Micro Sol to get them to settle better in the seam at the rudder. Thanks for showing interest in this build and for checking in.

IMG_3656_zps0d2750ad.jpg

IMG_3657_zps6663ebfb.jpg

Steve

Looking excellent!!!

Just remember, these aren't actually 'Fightertown Decals'. They are the Fightertown artwork but the decals are custom printed and not by a printer that we use for decal runs. Clears have to be trimmed away and greater care used when applying.

Can't wait to see the final product of this amazing build!

thanks,

brian

Brian, thanks for the clarification and setting me straight. Thanks for the kind words as well.

Youngtiger1, thanks for your words of encouragement as well. Hopefully I will have some more pics of completed work soon.

Steve

Thanks crackerjazz.

Worked on the LANTIRN pod today, filling seams and wet sanding, also added some panel fastener detail and a few extra panel lines to it as well. There were ALOT of sink marks in this once you started to sand. I will post shots tomorrow, another step forward. Have a good night everyone.

Steve

Small update for this morning, finished up detailing the LANTIRN pod. Next I will mask off the laser window and FLIR and get some primer applied. I hope to get the 2 AIM-9's and AIM-7 weathered ( waiting on some washes to arrive in the mail ) and flat coated. Then I can attach the 2 MV lenses to the AIM-9's seeker head, apply a dab of Tamiya clear smoke to the lenses and, the missiles will finally be finished Thanks for checking in.

IMG_3658_zps5f1b2cb1.jpg

IMG_3659_zpsaf9e9dfe.jpg

IMG_3660_zpsfbe24316.jpg

Steve

Hey Steve, you have been very kind in your words of encouragement for my WIP builds, which I thank you for. What I REALLY am grateful for, is that your work here is fantastic!- so the praise from a great modeler like yourself is that much more appreciated. Model on Dude! We are all looking forward to the final product. :thumbsup:

Chuck, thanks for the kind words, I am humbled. I've been building for a long time and still consider myself a "hack" compared to the likes of yourself and others on the boards. The amount of talent on this site is incredible and hopefully by following builds such as yours I too may become a better modeler.

Back to the subject at hand, I have a small amount of work to do on the AIM-9's and they will be FINISHED, finally, along with the AIM-7 !!! I will get photos up later on today, thanks for showing interest in this build.

Steve

Thanks USMC6094. Today's update, finally finished up the AIM-7 and the AIM-9's. I added the proximity fuzing to the AIM-7 using some left over brown strips of decal. The missiles were given a wash and then flat coated. I also added the Influence fuze / Target Detector windows using a few drops of Testors clear parts cement and finally the seeker heads ( MV lenses ) were glued to the tips of the AIM-9's. I just need to add a touch of Tamiya smoke to the seeker heads.

IMG_3669_zps33bb3211.jpg

Close up shot of the seeker head.

IMG_3670_zpsdabbba5c.jpg

Influence fuze / TD windows added.

IMG_3666_zps75247e27.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

IMG_3671_zpsd04fddc0.jpg

IMG_3672_zps338d0ab3.jpg

I added a small white disk inside the Sparrows exhaust to cover up the hole that I drilled out for inserting the brass rod while painting.

IMG_3673_zps94ce4d11.jpg

IMG_3674_zps2ea7b3a4.jpg

Glad these are all finished up, it's nice to get another step forward on the project. Thanks for checking in.

Steve