This build could also go in the Living History GB, but I decided to put it here instead. Last summer, two major fires broke out in the Central Washington area. One was man-made, caused by a welding spark hitting bone-dry brush, and the other caused by lightning. Both times, the Washington National Guard was called in with UH-60 Blackhawks and CH-47 Chinooks. I'm choosing to model one of the Blackhawks stationed here during both fires.

I'm starting out with the Academy UH-60L, and am adding the following to it:

Werner's Wings UH-60 Blackhawk stencil set

Cobra Company Set #35002 H-60 Blackhawk detail set

Cobra Company Set #35004 UH-60L Correction Set

Eduard UH-60 interior and exterior sets

Eduard Express Mask

So, here's a picture of what I am staring with:

IMG_9955_zpsea0770b1.jpg

Here's the resin drying after a wash in Purple Power and a rinse in water

IMG_9957_zps046b825b.jpg

And here's what I'm hoping to end up with:

IMG_4484_zps23483222.jpg

The "Mission Markings" were added while they were fighting the fires in order to make them more visible in the smoke and trees. I'll be including them in my build as well. Most of my reference material will come from the pictures I took last summer.

Thank you to Mason Doupnik, Erick Swanberg and Floyd Werner for the help they have already given me in this build.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801
  • 3 weeks later...

I should have some work to show tonight. The main rotor mast comes in two parts, with a nasty seam down the middle. When I tried to sand down the seam, I lost some detail, so I have built a new mast out of metal and plastic tube/rod. This is the first time I have ever attempted to scratch build anything, and I'm happy with the results so far.

Aaron

Here's my progress thus-far. As I said in the post above, the main rotor mast comes in two parts, and I wanted to build something that was more solid, and did not have any seam lines I needed to worry about. So, starting out with aluminum and plastic tubing of various widths and some plastic rod, here's what I came up with. Original Academy part on the left, mine on the right:

IMG_0308_zps8ea5c05b.jpg

I also drilled out the APU inlet and installed some plastic tubing there as well.

IMG_0305_zps905556fb.jpg

IMG_0306_zps96685609.jpg

Not much to show, but it is a start!

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...Awefully quiet in here... :tumble:

I decided I was not happy with my first attempt (or my second, third, fourth, etc) so I kept going with plastic tube until I was happy with my new rotor mast. I still have to take some steel wool to it to get rid of some of the cutting/sanding burrs, but this is the final product. Now I can move on with the rest of the model.

Aaron

IMG_0901_zpsc70f983d.jpg

Aaron

It's so quiet because some of us have to keep up appearances - it is just not "done" to show an interest in rotary wing aircraft... :whistle:

What will my friends think?

One buddy of mine described flying helicopters to me. He compared it to an activity that Seinfeld refered to as being the "master of his own domain" - he said it's a heck of a lot of fun, but nobody would ever admit to doing it!!!

That being said, I am impressed with your "machining" skills. I think this will be more complicated than a Strike Eagle.

ALF