1/72 Italeri B-57G Canberra

Hi again everyone ;

As a follow on to my AC-119K Stinger build , here are some finished pic's of my 1/72 Italeri B-57G Canberra

The build was 99% OOB except for the Cobra Company resin cockpit tub and seats , which fit perfectly .

I also cut the rear elevators from the tail planes to pose them dropped along with the tail fin. A little black wash added to the wheels ,

wheel wells and wing flaps .

The only part of the build I struggled with was the bombs . I'm hopless at trying to hand paint

the tips yellow and masking the bombs to airbrush the yellow wasn't much better . After 3 months of the Canberra

build sitting on the shelf 95% finished , I decided to cut some yellow decal stips and just go with that .

My efforts with the bombs was quite disappointing from my view , but overall I'm really happy how the rest of the build turned out .

002-63_zpsb4589beb.jpg

003-42_zps0b3d98bc.jpg

004-35_zps3e95c9f4.jpg

006-15_zps0b1c0765.jpg

007-7_zpsfd78e7f6.jpg

Helo 53 .

Looks pretty darn nice from where I'm sitting! (Including the bombs!) I don't worry so much about the bomb issue anymore as I've seen pics of bombs where the yellow stripes seemed pretty hap-hazardly applied and not very uniform. Plus, in 1/72nd, just getting in the general ball-park is doing pretty good. I'd rather hand-paint stripes than try to deal with decals, which I think are more frustrating.

I had build this kit back in the mid-90s and I must say it still looks impressive!!! Excellent job Helo 53!

BTW, I think Italeri is planning to re-release this kit in 2013.

Sernak

Does anyone know if this kit has the parts in it for a B model or only the G? If a B is an option from the parts Hannants has decals for these otherwise it won't be a lot of use to me. I'm wondering if maybe the molds were altered for that nose on the G & can no longer do a B model.

Steve.

You can still do a standard B-57B Steve. The G-specific nose parts are slab-on attachments over the existing kit nose. I'm not aware of them ever having had to alter the original kit for the G-model.

Great, thanks for that info, bring on the reissue of the G kit this year then, I'll have one for a B, I rather fancy one in the SEA scheme, I like the Bs, to me, the Gs have been severely uglified. :D/>

Steve.

to me, the Gs have been severely uglified.

Ha, where to me the G's seem much more sinister with purpose. To each their own though. biggrin.gif

Of course, I'm biased too, since the G's ended their career with my local Air Guard unit.

Edited by J.C. Bahr

Can someone say what is that underneath the nose area?

Thats the source of the uglification. ;) Afaik, it was something to do with the laser designation of earliy LGBs as well as night ops sensors, I'm sure someone knows more about this than I do though.

Steve

Thank's everyone .

Here's a reference pic from one of my canberra books

B-57Gfacts6_zps8402c671.jpg

I'm about 90% done on a WB-57C Canberra , an Italeri B-57B with a scratch-built nose radome and the same build stage on a Mach 2 WB-57F "Weather" Canberra .

I hope to have some finished pic's shortly .

Helo 53