Looking for a reliable source for Blue Tak

So, actual Blu Tack does not leave an oily residue? I have this blu tack-like poster putty but leaves oily residue after removing. I heard the white stuff was better so I'm curious as to which I should get.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

What the...?! Can't find Blu Tack? You're kidding right? They're EVERYWHERE here in Oz. Supermarkets, stationery supplies, KMart, Target, corner shops. Yes, we do have KMart and Target stores here in Oz, although I heard that they're quite different from the ones in States.

Surely Wal-Mart sells them?

To be clear, when I look for Blu-tak, I can also almost never find it. However, finding other brands' similar products is much easier. I've heard lots of stories of the other stuff just not measuring up. They seem to be copying the Blu-tak idea with varying results. And with items like that, there oftentimes is not real control making sure that, even if the "bootleg" product is just as good as Blu-tak, they don't just change the formula when they find another supplier that is cheaper. So, saying you find it everywhere doesn't necessarily mean it's Blu-tak. For the record, I haven't tried the other stuff, just trusted reliable sources that tell me not to trust it. So, when I found it, I got it at the manufacturer's website, IIRC, and I just bought a whole bunch. I'd be interested to hear if people are finding actual Blu-tak "everywhere" because I could not find it anywhere.

Mike Todd

I use the blue elmers stuff from home depot, is there a huge difference with that and the original blu-tack?

Yes, there is a difference. The copies tend to leave oily stain and small bits of themselves on the model.

To be clear, when I look for Blu-tak, I can also almost never find it. However, finding other brands' similar products is much easier. I've heard lots of stories of the other stuff just not measuring up. They seem to be copying the Blu-tak idea with varying results. And with items like that, there oftentimes is not real control making sure that, even if the "bootleg" product is just as good as Blu-tak, they don't just change the formula when they find another supplier that is cheaper. So, saying you find it everywhere doesn't necessarily mean it's Blu-tak. For the record, I haven't tried the other stuff, just trusted reliable sources that tell me not to trust it. So, when I found it, I got it at the manufacturer's website, IIRC, and I just bought a whole bunch. I'd be interested to hear if people are finding actual Blu-tak "everywhere" because I could not find it anywhere.

Mike Todd

And just to be extra clear, when I said we can find it "everywhere", I mean the real deal: Bostik Blu Tack. Then again, I'm talking about Australia, the "Lucky Country". :woot.gif:

I don't care too much about copy-cats. Tried one of them before (can't remember which brand), and found 'em to be useless. I've also tried the multi-colored Blu Tack, which is not as good as the original blue Blu Tack.