Just got a news letter from Caracal Models with 10 new releases for the month.

· CD72011 - 1/72 Air National Guard F-101B Voodoo

· CD72012 - 1/72 Global Air Power Series #2 MiG-29

· CD48004 - 1/48 Air National Guard F-100C/F Part 2

· CD48026 - 1/48 Global Air Power Series #2 MiG-29

· CD48027: 1/48 US Marine Corps AV-8A/C Harrier

· CD48028: 1/48 Air National Guard A-10C Warthog Part 1

· CD32002: 1/32 Global Air Power Series #2: MiG-29 North Korea & Iran

· CD32003: 1/32 Air National Guard F-15C Eagle Part 1

· CD32004: 1/32 Air National Guard F-15C Eagle Part 2

· CD32004: 1/32 Air National Guard F-15C Eagle Part 3

Edited by Spectre711

I figure that we need a place to ask question about potential builds, shout outs about products out there or just plain BSing and telling stories if you have them.

Hi Spectre ,

I was wondering if this build would be suitable for your National Reserves GB

001-85_zpsab87e4d9.jpg

One of my reference books has the HH-3E serving in the New York National Guard

003-42_zpsd7e8f447.jpg

I'm planning on adding a rear cabin floor , cut open the side door , add some troop seats and add a few minor pieces to the cockpit .

With the revell HH-3E finished in the Euro One camo scheme

I don't have any specific decals for this Helo but I have plenty of black and low viz lettering to male up most of the markings .

This next pic shows the "NEW YORK" lettering on the auxilary fuel tank .

002-63_zps3fc09c7c.jpg

So is my idea of a ANG HH-3E suitable ?

Kind regards ,

Helo 53

While trying to decide what the next build will be why don't you check out the decals from our GB sponsors.

Both Hi-Decal and Caracal Models have decals with great subject matter that fit right into this GB.

Hi-Decal

Caracal Models

Reid Air Publications has beautiful reference books and prints for framing that cover many modern subjects.

Reid Air Publications

Edited by Spectre711
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody who has a Monogram F-4C/D sitting around because youre not sure how to build it should check out Hi-Decal's sheet number 48-025. This sheet has 6 options including 3 ANG/ Reserve subjects. As usual the decals are of high quality and there is a great guide so you will know how to paint the Phantom and where to place the decals. My only problem is deciding which one to build first.

http://modelingmadne.../verhd48025.htm

That is a great sheet for the F-4C/D . I have the 1/72 version in my stash along with an Experts-Choice RF-4C 106th Recon Squadron Birmingham Alabama markings that I forgot I had .

With about 40 F-4 Phantom kits in the stash , I guess at least 6 could be built as ANG aircraft . It appears I had a lot more reserve decal markings in my stash than I thought , especially after lokking at all the on-going and finished builds you guy's are doing/done . Now I can't decide between an A-10A , A-7D or a F-4 as what to do next ?

Now that my HH-3E is at the painting stage , I've started thinking about what to do next .

But I'm having trouble making up my mind .

I was thinking of an F-4 Phantom and went looking through my decal and kit stash to see what options I had and I discovered two previously

started ANG Phantoms along with several other F-4 choices

AirNationalGuardGBpic2_zpsdbe7a0a3.jpg

Those two are too far along to include in this GB but if I was to start another F-4 it would be a good opertunity to finish them off .

Other options are these ;

AirNationalGuardGBpic1_zpsfabce4a6.jpg

It's very tempting to do another F-4 , their certainly very addictive . Mmmmm what to choose ?

Yeah , I keep coming back to the A-7D as well .

I was really happy when I won those decals from ebay , so it looks like the 'Sluf' next .

Here's a pic of my other A-7 builds

A-7_zpsdea7f943.jpg

With more Navy builds than Air Force , I should really try and even up the quota .

I have several A-7 Corsair II books in my library and I was looking through the David F Brown book lats night and saw a list of Naval and Air Force Squadrons using the A-7

A-7facts2_zps344a63f6.jpg

A-7facts1_zps86696724.jpg

Someone mentioned earlier about VAQ-34 and according to the book it's listed as a 'Support Unit'. However while looking at photo's in the book some of the markings looked familar so I went and checked through my stash of A-7 kits and found a 1/72 Fujimi A-7A with VA-305 decals

A-7stash_zps755939cd.jpg

A-7AVA-305pic1_zps767eece4.jpg

My reference book lists this as a Reserve Squadron , so I guess I could do an A-7A along side the A-7D build I'm about to start shortly .

Something else I was curious about is the 1/72 Xtradecal decal sheet for the TA-7C two seat Corsair II

TA-7Cdecals2_zps5511e00e.jpg

TA-7Cdecals1_zps1ffb1a28.jpg

The top right hand pic on the decal page shows an all over Gunship Grey TA-7C from Kirkland AFB , NM . Anyone know what this aircraft was used for and the colour scheme ?

TA-7Cdecals3_zpse118da8c.jpg

Spectre , you posted a pic of an SC AH-64 Apache in the inspirational thread and I was going through my stash and spied this 1/72 Hasegawa AH-64A Apache 'Iraqi Freedom'

AH-64AApachepic1_zpsda76cedb.jpg

The box still had the shrink wrap on but I decided to take a peek inside and saw that the kit has markings for the South Carolina Army National Guard , October 2004 , Iraq

AH-64AApachepic2_zpsa919b11a.jpg

Would this be a suitable entry ?

With an all back cockpit and instrument decals this does appear to be an easy build OOB .

I was browsing Hannants web site and saw as a 'future release' the 1/72 Revell F-101B Voodoo .

This is great news for us 1/72 scale modellers , as it has been years since this kit was on the hobby store shelves .

I did pick up the Revell kit a few years ago , second hand , but their so rare and I was afraid of messing mine up , I've

kept mine hidden away in the stash

RevellF-101BVoodoo_zpsf4a430ac.jpg

What I did try to build was the 1/72 Matchbox F-101B/RF-101B Voodoo

MatchboxF-101Voodoopic1_zps6fa36426.jpg

The build has been languishing in the bottom of the spares box for quite a few years as it is extremely basic with an almost non-existent

cockpit and huge cockpit seats

MatchboxF-101Voodoopic2_zps1a3434e4.jpg

This was one of my early attempts at any type of scratch-building by trying to make two cockpit consoles , one with a scope fitted and adding some little arms to pose the canopy open seeing Matchbox provide two boarding ladders

The kit came with some really nice markings for the North Dakota ANG but I thought they were way too nice for the rather ordinary kit

MatchboxF-101Voodoodecals_zpse490d89b.jpg

So then I started thinking about building it as an RF-101B for the Nevada ANG and use the separate under nose fairing

MatchboxF-101Voodoopic3_zpse8bdd271.jpg

However I stilled hesitated progressing any further after thinking about saving the camera housing for a another future Revell kit , although I don't know if it would fit the Revell kit all that well .

So there she sits in the bottom of the spares box , I just can't decide wether it's worth continuing on and build it as an Rf-101B , or swap the decals from the Revell kit and make the Matchbox F-101B Voodoo with the markings from F-101B -95-MC , Hansonfield , Mass.

And use the Matchbox "Happy Hooligans" decals on the Revell kit

Do you guy's think the Matchbox kit is worth continuing on with...

MatchboxF-101Voodoopic5_zps574c8714.jpg

MatchboxF-101Voodoopic4_zpsad8af396.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the slow progress of late on my HH-3E builds .

I injured my arm a couple of weeks back , thankfully nothing too serious but it's kept me away from the hobby bench .

Everything is on the mend so hopefully I'll be back at it in a week or so .

John .

The kit came with some really nice markings for the North Dakota ANG but I thought they were way too nice for the rather ordinary kit

MatchboxF-101Voodoodecals_zpse490d89b.jpg

However I stilled hesitated progressing any further after thinking about saving the camera housing for a another future Revell kit , although I don't know if it would fit the Revell kit all that well .

So there she sits in the bottom of the spares box , I just can't decide wether it's worth continuing on and build it as an Rf-101B , or swap the decals from the Revell kit and make the Matchbox F-101B Voodoo with the markings from F-101B -95-MC , Hansonfield , Mass.

And use the Matchbox "Happy Hooligans" decals on the Revell kit

Do you guy's think the Matchbox kit is worth continuing on with...

I built the Revell kit using the ND ANG decals......

2372698590051667340fFIRCo_fs_zps1c8da731.jpg

2042575160051667340dGKvMN_fs_zps578eed84.jpg

2589384930051667340JEumXK_fs_zpscbe8b6cb.jpg

2613753290051667340QPPIZH_fs_zps3f21298a.jpg

2897788410051667340dVkmGJ_fs_zps5e98c7ff.jpg

The ANG shield on the tail from the Matchbox kit were kinda smudged, so I had to use an old set of AIR ANG decals get the correct ones. Most of the decals came from the Revell kit, but I also used decals from the spares box to get the serial number for an F-101B (the Matchbox kit has an F-101F trainer). The only decals that I used from the Matchbox set were the ones specific to the ND ANG. They were thick and a PITA to work with, but it got done.

Kursad as Caracal Decals has stated that he may do another F-101 sheet with North Dakota in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have something for the raffle, if I may. I went to an airshow today, and some collector was selling off some of his memorabilia he acquired over the years. Among the stuff he had were some coffee and beer mugs made for various USAF and ANG units.

So I snatched these two for the GB raffle:

First up, a coffeemug from the New Jersey ANG. I though I would just give this to Spectre as a gift, for doing all the good work in this GB, and being from NJ.

P6152479_zps67393ed4.jpg

And the other one I got, and can be raffled, is from the Colorado ANG. It has the ANG badge at one side, and on the other side it says "Suth". Some callsign maybe?

P6152480_zpsf63baffb.jpg

P6152481_zpsf4c58799.jpg

These are original mugs made for these units, not new, custom made ones or reproduction.

Oh, btw, for myself I bought an Oktoberfest beer mug made for the officers club from the 10th TFS at Hahn AB in Germany.