OK, since I finished my Corsair, I thought I’d jump back into this GB and finish up a project I started for the Living History GB. Spectre711 was gracious enough to allow “crossovers†as long as they were not more than 30% complete. I started my Living History back in August ’12, but hit the wall in September with only the interior being completed. Since the subject of the project is a CANG Blackhawk, I thought it would fit in nicely with this GB too. There’s a back story to this build that I won’t bore you with, but you can read it in my build thread over in the Living History GB if you’re interested.

That being said, let me catch you National Reserves GB builders up on my Blackhawk…

When I stopped back in Sept, I had the interior completed. I added a few little details to the cabin. I used some painted Band-Aids to give the seats some texture, and used some round stock to give the seats some structure. I made some armor plating using some sheet and rod stock for the pilots’ seats. Assorted bags and packs were made with Milliput. Extinguishers were made from assorted plastic stock and a piece of wire. The interior pillars were boxed in with plastic stock, and soundproofing was made from painted foil. The area under the cockpit floor that is visible through the chin windows was also boxed in to prevent being able to see through the cockpit.

DSC09073.jpg

DSC09067.jpg

The fit of the windows on the Blackhawk’s rear doors, and the rear doors themselves, was terrible. I had to use superglue to fair them into the door. Also, I had to add some strip stock to the forward part of the door to keep it from falling into the cabin through the door opening.

DSC09243.jpg

Actually, the fit of ALL the clear parts is terrible. Unfortunately, I’ve had to use superglue to install them all and it marred or fogged the transparencies. I’ve had to do some serious sanding to get a decent fit. The only benefit to using CA is that it filled all the gaps. This is where the build stalled back in Sept. I knew I had some serious sanding and polishing ahead of me, and I just didn’t wanna deal with it. I put the kit back in the box and put it aside. Instead, I focused on other projects. I just didn’t want to suffer through all of that sanding.

But before I put the kit aside, I started kicking around the idea of adding the long antenna that runs along the tail. Before today, this was as far as I’d gotten.

DSC09246.jpg

Continued…

When I put the kit aside last Sept the fuse halves hadn't been joined yet, and I was facing the nightmare of blending in the transparencies. Well, as of now, the fuse halves have been joined and some other parts have been attached, but I'm still working on the transparencies.

I glued the rear deck onto the fuse but noticed that part of the arch that makes up part of the exhaust assembly didn't line up.

DSC00181_zps8b43eb3b.jpg

DSC00179_zps61605561.jpg

I used a little square stock to fill the gap, then sanded the protruding part of the arch flush with the fuselage.

Once that was done, I worked on the rear part of the exhausts. Again, the parts didn't line up.

DSC00191_zpsccb1e794.jpg

That "lip" is supposed to be on the real thing, so I needed to find a way to get 'em to line up. So, I sanded off the lip from the kit part and replaced it with a piece of plastic stock. Then I sanded things to get 'em to line up.

This pic was taken while things were in the works. It looks a little rough here but better in person.

DSC00194_zps67c002c4.jpg

I'm sure it'll look fine under paint.

Here are some pix of the fuse all closed up. The first one is of the fuse before I started working on the exhausts...

DSC00183_zps203fdd70.jpg

...and this second one is after the exhaust work. (Notice the attention to the spot on the top of the port exhaust. That's where I glued myself to my work. Still in the clean up phase. D'Oh!)

DSC00201_zpscb8db7d6.jpg

The last thing I worked on is the antenna that runs along the port side of the tail boom.

DSC00186_zps7a9e3e55.jpg

It's not perfect, but I go for representation not replication.

Anyway, that's where this thing is at now. I'm hoping to get it done by the end of the GB. Feel free to share your thoughts. Don't hesitate to drop your two cents into the bucket on your way out.

Thanks for lookin'!

-O

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spectre711,

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much more done on this one. I noticed there was a key part missing in the box, and I had to wait over a month for Minicraft to send a replacement. While I waited I worked on other projects and got busy with end-of-the-school-year stuff. This kit is such a bear that I'm having trouble picking it back up again. I'll get around to it, I just doubt it'll get done for the end of this GB.

Thanks for askin' though.

Cheers,

-O