Hi all my friends,

Here we are for the start of what will surely be one of the best GB in which I participated ( I'm pretty excited ).

The model and the AM I've gone to use.

p11400071024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

The ref books.

p11400151024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I started some "surgery" this morning 'cause I've programmed to drop flap and aux engine doors,open the IFR probe and its light,ecc...I cross the finger for the result!

p11400161024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

As you can see I've already started to add some detail to the IFR bay.

p11400191024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

The probe itself,its arm and door.

p11400231024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

In the past days I started the improvement on the inner wing pylons and scratched the belly one for the HIPEG pod.About the pod I've to thanks three ARCers:bad edd, ReccePhreak and bdt13 . Originally this bird had to be the "supergunned" bird of VMFA-122 but I can't find the decals and choose the Silver Eagles squadron.

In reality at the moment the mk-4 pod is the only sure weapon of my model!

p11400211024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

One of the weakest point in the Hase kits are the air intake trunks.So, I've made a paper template for realize some kind of seamless intake,here the result in a dry fit test.

p11400181024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

For the compressor faces,I copy a Fujimi F-14 part using a product called InstantMold;instead of wasting time to present you this very useful stuff here a tutorial link.

On the upper part of the photo you can see the original part and in the lower my copy in Magic Sculpt.

p11400241024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I would ask you guys an help for the loadout.

I choose an "in country" CAS load with two underwing tanks,the gunpod under the belly and for the inner pylons one AIM-9B with two TER. The problem is that I'm very undecided for the weapons to hung on the TER,I've think to:

- six MK-81/82 ( slick or with SE fins )

- four rocket pod,again undecided between LAU-32 or -10

What do you think? Any suggestion is more than welcome!

That's all for now more progress very soon!

Gianni :cheers:/>/>

Wow Gianni, you came out swinging! Nobody can say you aren't prepared, you must have every F-4 reference book on the market. Your doing things on a 1/72 scale kit that make me nervous attempting on a 1/48 scale aircraft.

V/r

Ron

Depends on wether your Phantom is carrier based or land based. On carrier duty the F-4 is not so fully packed as possible on land with long runways. At least when I look at pics in some books.

Thanks all for your words guys!

tobiK,my plane was based at Chu Lai, a newly constructed Marines base in South Vietnam,1968 and my same airframe was filmed in a documentary when rolling oout of his parking area loaded with 18 Mk-82 SE loaded on the TERs and MERs under the wing and a belly tanks,a truly warrior!

Gianni

Gianni,

Looks great!! I do intakes for Phantom kits the same way you do: See here.

Just a comment on terminology - what you called the flaps (that you cut out) are actually the ailerons - the flaps are the flight control surfaces next to the fuselage.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Thanks all for your words guys!

tobiK,my plane was based at Chu Lai, a newly constructed Marines base in South Vietnam,1968 and my same airframe was filmed in a documentary when rolling oout of his parking area loaded with 18 Mk-82 SE loaded on the TERs and MERs under the wing and a belly tanks,a truly warrior!

Gianni

I have that Phantom clip in an Air War Over Vietnam DVD that I bought for $3, has hours of great footage well worth the money.

V/r

Ron

Hi guys,

I'm back home after a brief trip in Ravenna.

Thanks for your words; Gene,you're right about the ailerons and your intakes topic is the one that I've used as reference,I'm sorry to have forgotten to mention... :crying2:

Ron,do you remember the exact title of your DVD?

Before my departure I made some small progress that probably I post in the late afternoon.

Gianni

Goodnight guys,

some small progress.

I've glued and filled the speedbrake bays and scratched the aux air doors.

I've make the doors with lead foil to replicate the slightly ondulation of the belly provocated by the J-79 position.The actuator came from the spare box.

p11600311024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

A close up.I've also opted to use brass tube for the speedbrake actuators 'cause those of the Eduard set are flat!

p11600261024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

To detail the exposed area following the opening of the air doors, both the DACO and the Reid book was used;I tried my best and still have to add some bits.

I choose to add the detail directly on the model,this help me a lot.

p11600321024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p11600331024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p11600341024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And like look after a quick dry fit.I think ( o better I hope ) that the painting will help to improve the final result...

p11600351024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

That's all for now.

I spent the remainig afternoon tho check the fit of the pit because the scratched IFR bay can interfere;onestly the job look turned out better than I thought!

Also I started to improve the TER because the only at my disposal are those of one Fujimi A-4,I've depleted my Hasegawa stockpile.Thanks for look guys!

:cheers:/> Gianni

Hi Daniel,

thanks both for your words and the tips for the Zuni,fortunately I've those of the Academy Crusader.

The -115,like surely the "Black Knight" and probably other Marines squadron in Vietnam,had the LAU-7 rail wired for the LAU-33 version of the Zuni but the only info I find is an image on the Osprey that you can see in the 2nd pics at the start of this topic but isn't dated; I don't know if the Silver Eagles had is plane wired for the Zuni during the '68 deployment,so if I finally choose to load my model with rocket the choice is or 4 LAU-10 or 4 LAU-3,but in other hand the iron bomb "truck" configuration is already attractive...

About your Death Rattler F-4B, is absolutly Phantastic( I've already commented your models this morning). :thumbsup:

:cheers: Gianni

Hi guys,

I'm back home after a brief trip in Ravenna.

Thanks for your words; Gene,you're right about the ailerons and your intakes topic is the one that I've used as reference,I'm sorry to have forgotten to mention... :crying2:/>

Ron,do you remember the exact title of your DVD?

Before my departure I made some small progress that probably I post in the late afternoon.

Gianni

Hi Gianni,

This is the DVD, it has a ton of footage on it.

V/r

Ron

DSC_0402_zps22a1ad2a.jpg

Good day all my friends;

some days passed from my last update,but the last week was a troublesome one for me and my family ( and I think that the next isn't much better...) :(/> .

Unfortunately I can't cut much time for the build,so only now I can post very small progress.

I started work on the offices;first I've integrated the few Eduard PE parts for the sidewalls with wire of different sizes and some plasticard to make these areas more busy ( thanks DACO!).

p11800351024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p11800361024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p11800371024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

After the sidewalls the bathtub,not the best job of this world, but maybe the paint can help me with the final result...

p11800381024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p1180041768x1024.jpg[/url][/img]

p11800401024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p11800391024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And finally some color.

p11800331024x7681024x76.jpg[/url][/img]

p11800291024x7681024x76.jpg[/url][/img]

p11800301024x76821024x7.jpg[/url][/img]

And that's all,with little luck this afternoon I can spray some color,in the air intake or the pit,I've to decide.

Thanks for looking,

Gianni :cheers:/>

As said before, I find it amazing how much detail you are squezing in to that little cockpit!

I was thinking of putting some wire into my cockpit too, but then could not figure out an easy way to mask the pit for painting. I'm keeping a close eye on this build, for sure it will help me in the future!!

Daniël

Gianni

You build is fantastic! I really like the details you have been adding, especially in the cockpit. I am about to start my build and plan on working on a 1/72 Hasegawa QF-4N. I was trying to decide if I want to do anything extra for the cockpit, and I think I will add some detail after seeing your great results.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>

Daniel and Mike thx for your appreciation words;Daniel, the probe arrived today,many thanks again!

Now a quick update.

I'm able to airbrush the pit color.

For this model I bought the prepainted Eduard set,but only because I've found this type of PE.In reality I don't love too much the prepainted'one because I lost the fun to paint this area ( I love the brush job and think to be a decent painter ) and force the modeller to match the color of the PE :angry: .

For example.Hase stated to use the Gunze H-57 for the cockpit but this color don't match the PE parts,so,after some color chemistry,I made a mix of H-307 and H-308 that look ok for me,maybe after a generic weathering and the various gloss and matt coats you can't see a great difference.

Watch the following pics to judge please.

p11900281024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p11900311024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I''ve already painted the air intake in Tamiya white.

p11900301024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I've also start to work the NLG;despite I've the gear hydraulic lines in the Eduard set,I choose to replace it with some wire from my stash 'cause the PE parts are too flat.

p11900371024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p11900381024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I've still ad the more thin wires to the NLG and start the work on the MLG.

Thanks for watch anf as always feel free of comment and critique.

Gianni :cheers:

:cheers:/> Hi all my friends,I've spent my few free time in the last days on various little details,one of the phase in which it seems to make no progress.

I've glued the PE in both the offices,but Eduard left the space visible between the various console'panels unpainted,so with a brush and Vallejo acrilics I've adjusted these areas and changed color on some buttons-

The PE before my iontervention...

p12000291024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

... and after.

p12000331024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12000351024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

To be honest I'm glad to not see too much difference between the PE color and mine,what do you think?

The sidewalls; here I've repainted the button of the radar tuning console ( the box-like PE ).

p12000411024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

The IPs;Eduard provided the parts with the radar scopes painted in a green tone,but on the real plane these screen had an orange-red color when they were without power so with the punch & die and clear red plasticard I've tried to correct the color.

p12000321024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

The seamless intake ; first thanks to Gene K for its topic.

This procedure is very effective and convincing ( and cheap... ;)/> ) to me and needed only some attention before gluing in place the parts and in my case only a small quantity of Mr. Surfacer around the intake lips.

p12000431024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I choose to add at this point the PE from Airwawes for the folding wings;the manufacturer supply the two parts and stated to bend it at 90° and glue the parts to the wings.My previous experience with these used on my Showtime 100 suggest me to cut in two distinct parts the PE of both wings,glue in place and fill,if necessary, the join.

Here how look on the outer wing panels.

p12000441024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And finally I've finished the plumbing of the landing gears and started to work on the NLG bay using the Eduard parts,plasticard,plastirod and lead and electrical wires.

p12000461024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12000471024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12000491024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And finshed for today,I hope to show something of more substantial next time.

Thanks to all,

Gianni. :cheers:/>