... not see too much difference between the PE color and mine,what do you think?

Wow - what a build - the details are outstanding, especially the cockpit and intakes .. well, actually, everything you've done so far!

The cockpit color looks like a great match to the Eduard PE - do you recall what ratio of H307 to H308 you used (or just eyeballed it)?

As concerns the color of the radar scopes in the front and rear cockpits - I've never figured that one out: USAF planes had a green tint, and some USN I've seen have the red. What did you uncover?

Gene K

Hi Gene,Thank you!

I've mixed the Gunze with approximativaly three parts of H-307 and one of H-308.

About the radar scope,both the DACO and Reid books show red screen for plane of both USN and USAF ( including the recce planes ) and I've simply followed this.

Gianni

About the radar scope,both the DACO and Reid books show red screen for plane of both USN and USAF

Thanks. The USAF front scope had a filter you could rotate around the scope to dim it. The back seat scope (bottom picture below) had a "handle" on the right side that would rotate a dimming filter into position. May have been red for night. Don't know about the B model (top picture below)

36_F-4B-C_AFT_CP_Sub_IP_Panel.jpg

And talk about glass color - there have also been interesting discussions on the front windscreen, some folks claiming it was tinted green (don't think so), while others claim that an apparent tint was caused by the laminated glass.

At any rate, the above is some trivia - your model is a 1/72 masterpiece in miniature, and I'm looking forward to the next "installment".

Gene

P.S. Not on topic for your B model, but if you get around to doing a C, there's some pretty nice cockpit photo-technology available here.

Edited by Gene K

Thanks for all Gene.

And talk about glass color - there have also been interesting discussions on the front windscreen, some folks claiming it was tinted green (don't think so), while others claim that an apparent tint was caused by the laminated glass.

I also don't think that the windscreen was tinted but its greenish tint is a consequence of construction material ( I think some kind of armored glass.

About the radar scope,the tint can change for different factors ( Block,timeframe technology,glass manufacturer,light incidence,ecc...)?

I say this because the screen remember me the old CRT TV,with a tint variable from the grey to the red, look at the pics below:

a Bravo front IP

f4bfrontpanel.jpg[/url][/img]

Charlie front IP.

f4c20phantom20ii.jpg[/url][/img]

This is true also for the RF-4C,both early (backseat) model...

rf4cphantomiirear.jpg[/url][/img]

...and late ( front seat ),note the modified scope receveid with the new APQ-172 radar in the '80.

rf4c20phantom20ii20fron.jpg[/url][/img].

Naturally I've programmed a C,one of Col. Olds monture,but probably not in time for this GB...

Cheers,

Gianni.

Hi all my friends!

Unfortunately the last week I haven't much time for my F-4,and the majority of it was used for the first session of filling,sanding,rescribing,ecc... of the fuselage,so at little time little progress...

Anyway I've tried to add other detail in some areas;I've opened the air exhaust on the vari ramp.

p12100291024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Moving to the outer wing panels,I've start to improve the Airwawes PE parts adding the slats' BLC hot tube ( thanks for the pics Gene,pure gold ).

p12100341024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I assembled the fuselage and add the RIO's IP and bulkhead additional wiring ( I've still clean and paint these areas but only when ready to airbrush the airframe).

p12100391024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12100411024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12100451024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12100461024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Changing area,I choose to glue at this stage the belly pylon using CA glue and talc powder on thr internal part of the wing for a strong join;I've opened also the pylon's four sway braces ( the small holes parallel to the pylon ).These will be glued in the final stage of the build.

p12100361024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

The HIPEG pod ( rescribed ) dry fitted.

p12100371024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Some detail of the wing tank pylons.

p12100301024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally,the model had a strange warp left fuselage halve that when glued at the cockpit sub-assemly, create a bothering step in this area ( highlighted in red in the picture ).

Instead og use putty that personally find uncomfortable to rescribe using the Dymo tape,I melted some kit's sprue with Tamiya glue and used as putty, after the sanding and rescribing process the result is visible below ( I 'm so glad with the result that I used it also for filling the flare housing on the rear upper fuselage and other small areas).

p12100421024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And that's all.

I hope to made more progress soon.

Thanks for looking,

Gianni.

I've opened the air exhaust on the vari ramp.

How in the world did you do that???? You need to cast a several dozen sets for me. :P/>

Best in-progress build of a small Phantom that I've seen.

Gene K

Thanks Gene!

Openinig the vari ramp exhaust is a simple procedure but use some attention .

- the lower ones : with a drill of the correct size ( sorry,I don't remember the caliber ) I've made the holes.After this,with a new blade,in my case one of the Tamiya cutter,I gave to the hole a squared shape.

- the upper ones:I used the Trumpy rescriber to make a guide notch with two or three passes.Again with a new blade I increased the notch and shaped it.

After this,with 0,13 mm plasticard sheet cut in the right measure I've meke the vertical partitions.

That's all!

Gianni

Good day all my friend,some time passed from my last post,but this is the life...

During this period I'm engaged in a fit battle with the kit:remember of the warp fuselage? Ok this problem conditioned the fit of the lower wings also,so when I glued the wings I found the forward part that made an "external step" on starboard and a port " internal step".The first was simply sanded down,for the port's,I've glued a piece of plasticard and used the melted plasticas putty , the pics below are better of 1000 words.

Re-watching the video that show this precise airframe,I've noted that the bird had not yet been subjected to the Shoehorn Project so the four ECM antennaes under this area and the wings was removed.

p12300101024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

In red what I mean for step.

p12300111024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

As result of the "damaged" fuselage I was forced to fill and rescribe all the join between the lower wings and the forward Sparrow recesses/air intakes area.Note that I carved the house of the future air intake's nav light.

p12300081024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

The problem was extended at the engine area;here I've used the melting plastic to fill the wings/fuselage steps.I don't think that this's the definitive putty but work fine for me when an extensive rescribing process rises:'cause I use Dymo tape as template,the normal putty remains attached at the tape when removed.

Judge by yourself from the next pics showing how the model look now.

p12300141024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12300151024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

To lighten a bit this boring phase of the build,I've worked on some detail;I've decided to using clear sprue to make new nav light, both on the fin leading edge and the wings.

To realize the light I've used the same technique of my F-105's AIM-9B but using colored stretched sprue coming from lightsaber of Bandai's Gundams.

p12300061024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12300161024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

As mentioned before ,this F-4 hadn't a Shoehorn modified jet so i've some doubt that the "smiling face" on the parabrake housing must be replaced by a more simple round opening,I have to do more research ...

p12300121024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally,I choose to fit the belly pylon sway braces directly on the gunpod.

p12300181024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And that's all,I hope to show something of more interesting next time ,thanks for watching and feel free of any critique and suuggestion!

Cheers,

Gianni. :cheers:

Ciao Gianni, can I order some of these aftermarket sets?

Your F-4 is coming along very nice!

Daniël

Daniel,these sets are a good boost for the model despite the shortcomings I've mentioned,but this is a personal opinion: I born as a figure painter ans sculptor and love paint,especially with the brush and in my distorted vision of the reality ( maybe derived from my artistic study career),the cockpit is the equivalent of a figure face,one of the focal point of model,and for these reasons I put much effort on this area of the build.

I hope to be useful mate!

:cheers: Gianni

p12300111024x768.jpg

This seems to be a standard problem on the Hasegawa F-4 kits, whish one day we would get some good fitting seemless suckers to solve this problem..

I've never tried the approach of fitting the upperwing last, curious if this makes the difference in getting a good fit on all involved parts! Keeping my eyes on this one!

Daniël

Thanks guys,much appreciated!

Ron,I don't think to have great skill at the moment and hope to improve at any new model and maybe this ,with the help of some great ,truly master here on ARC ,start to work:the F-105 of the link above two week ago win a second place in the Civitavecchia model show,not bad for the first contes!

Daniel,I've just glued the upper wings:the left one fit almost perfectly,but on the right I've a huge gap with the fuselage that need some plasticard...but maybe this is for the bended fuselage of my kit!

Cheers,

Gianni.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,I'm alive!

Small progress in this time because the life isn't ever as we want ( last Sunday I lost one of my uncles ),so in the few free moment I've worked on improve the model in preparation of the primer and improve various details.

One of the area to made as better is possible is the folding wing PE:I don't like to see the micro.step between the kit part and the PE so I've spent some time filling and sanding smooth the join.

p12500051024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Also I've partly glued the PE for the MLG bay,I left some for just befor starting to paint the model. But because I don't like completely the result ,I've added some wire and platicard details like the PC1 and 2's connection caps,the ICS boxes,ecc...

p12500041024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12500031024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Moving to the tail area,I've backdated the braking chute cap at a pre-Shoehorn modification and added the Master Model brass pitot and RAm air inlet to the leading edge of the fin ( I love this stuff and hope to use it on all my future builds ).

p12600011024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12500061024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

In the meantime I've decided to load the two TERs of the model with six Mk-82 SE,in addition at the gunpod.

So,I replaced the PE detail for the AIM-9 launcher rails with some platicard and added some detail at the rear of the six SE Mk-82s.

p12600081024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12500071024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And that's all for now,I hope to be able to spray the primer in this week end.

Thanks for watching,

Gianni :salute:

Many thanks Gene!

Question for you:what was better suited for a CAS mission,six Mk-82 SE or slick with Daisy cutters? I choose the SE for a simple aesthetic taste.

I also see in the video that I've mentioned many time in this build ,this same airframe was loaded with 17 slick on two MERs and two TERs,so I think that a great variety of weapons is good.

Any suggestion from you is very apreciated.

Gianni :cheers:

what was better suited for a CAS mission,six Mk-82 SE or slick with Daisy cutters?

Definitely Snakeyes - their delivery could be made closer to the ground (and the troops), so would be more accurate. The gun is the perfect complement ... as well as a wingman with a full load of Napalm (that was one of the two-ship pairs on CAS alert at Cam Rahn Bay just down the road from the Chu Lai airplane you're doing).

The Daisy Cutters were better suited to clearing out landing zones or going after soft skinned vehicles, among other things.

Gene K

Hi all friends;

Arnaud thanks for your kindness.

Gene,I'm alive,don't worry :woot.gif:/> ,the reality is that in this period I've fortunately some commissioned models of different type,but this don't leave too much time for my F-4.

Anyway,I was able to shoot the Rhino with the primer.

p12800031024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12800061024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

As evident,this time I don't pre-shadowed every single panel lines as in the past build. I will try to use the preshadow as a pre-weathering and not to add more "deep" at the painting job ,'cause in reality is in this way that the pre-shadow normally work,almost like the job of light-shadow used in the figures.

For these reason I've hit only those panel more subject to wear like on the fuselage side or around the landing gear doors,ecc...I hope for the best!

I past the last days to study the chuck540z's post of his magnificent Phantom,especially about the metals.

3Taking advantage of the gloss black in the airbrush,I undercoated the metal areas.

p12800071024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

I've added small other detail to the fold machanism in order,also,to strenght the join with the outer panel wings.

p12800091024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

In the meantime I've worked on the ordnance and in particular to obtain a weathered Snakeeyes adding also some graffiti. Who do you think? Is a plaudibile effect?

p12800161024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And just sprayed,one of the stabilator,painted with and only the Alclad Dark Aluminium.

p12800171024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

That's all,in the coming days I'll work the various metal shades and after this I can start with the white,stay tuned and thanks for watching!

As always,any comment and critique are welcome!

:cheers:/> Gianni

Hi all my friends and thanks Ron!

A quick update:I've painted the metal area.First I shot Dark Aluminium,followed by some panel in Gold Titanium and Pale Burnt Metal,especially in the area immeditely behind the engine's nozzles.All this effect,comprised the mottled effect on the stabilator,was replicated with the help of some Parafix sausage and the salt technique.

In order to replicate the ribbed lines of this area,I cut some Tamiya tape and masked all the principal panels.All the colors of course are Alclad.

But stop talk and let's go with the pics.

The jet exhaust area still with tape,Patafix and salt.

p12900041024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12900051024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And the mask removed.

p12900081024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12900091024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12900121024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

The stabilators.

p12900161024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

And finally the exhaust.

p12900191024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p12900201024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Needless to say that I've to add the soot effect,but I've to confess that this scares me a lot because I'm afraid of losing the ribbed lines.

Aniway,in thuis very moment,I start to mask the metals in order,tomorrow,of paint the white parts of the camo.

Thanks for watch,

Gianni