CIMG1279_zps9bab4631.jpg

Actually - I will be doing a little more aftermarket as I have ordered the True Details Cowl and Prop and I have a set of Fine molds styrene seatbelts.

Scale Aircraft Conversions asked me to incorporate their F4U-4 gear into this build and I am going to do so. In the package they look great. I believe that with 99% of F4U-4s the gear as well as the gear wells are gloss sea blue.

As for the markings - this I am not sure what to do.... I'll look through my stash of decals or go poking on line. I wouldn't mind something with a little colour but I already did a Death Rattler Corsair. Then again, I want to use Tiny Tim rockets and I am told these were used during the Okinawa campaign on F4U-4s

Here is one pic - not sure what squadron this was

xF4U-481836WM1Jul-26-56WTLarkinsBillPeakeCollectionviagsl_zps56fad03f.jpg

So maybe a squadron taking park in Okinawa?

Suggestions?

Edited by CorsairMan
  • 3 weeks later...

Well - it doesn't seem like I have done a whole lot but Hal was right - this is a busy build, a lot of parts and yes, I "had" to add a little here and there.

Cockpit floor and consoles - I added some PE handles

50b944eb-9b76-4240-8b47-802209e3840d_zps53e0b498.jpg

Sidewall - the framing is from the kit but for some reason the kit did not include a thottle quadrant or a flap setter - I added those from the Eduard Set

945eb037-58ec-4715-87f5-7fec733286b8_zpsf59022c9.jpg

As an aside - the "turtle deck" in this kit comes as a choice for the early or late version (there is a little 'bump' at the top of the late version. Something that I might just keep around for my next hasegawa build as those don't seem to have the necessary bumps.

Engine - wow, pretty much the hands down most detailed 1/48 kit engine I have come across - the only thing I added was the ignition wiring and paint. Most of it fit like a glove but there were a few adjustments needed. I drilled out the ignition wiring collar to accept all the wires and I drilled out the exhausts. They are not quite "rusty" yet, I will get on that later.

07ee4987-a9b8-491a-b09c-15813da105b6_zps5a0e67af.jpg

b35727b7-905c-4b5b-8a1d-7542b327a126_zpsa53a353d.jpg

You won't see the detail at the back as once installed, it is fully contained in the fuselage... so I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Guns! Just drybrushing and a wash - neat little feature. The ammo won't "lie down" flat - but once in the wing, it should be ok (I have an idea to cheat here!)

e3f06edf-0e87-474f-ae4e-988f424656f1_zpscb969bee.jpg

I am still working to finish the pit - I added some beautiful FineMolds belts to the PE chair and they really stand out. Once its fixed and washed, I will take a pic of the completed pit!

The pit is together and ready for installation. The finemolds belts are very nice. I imagine they would be even better if glued to styrene but these ones are on the PE seat. I replaced the instrument panel with the old Eduard one for the Hase F4U-4.... its not their best IP but a little nicer than having to cut out all those instrument decals!

DSC_0032_zps47c91e9e.jpg

DSC_0033_zps279f7033.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsa1bf49fe.jpg

DSC_0035_zps10d7ae1a.jpg

One bummer is that I spent a considerable amount of time painting and shading the firewall..... and not one bit of it will be visible in the end!

Oh well.

I am now working on the gear.

Thanks guys!

Scale Aircraft Conversions is one of our sponsors. They asked me to feature one of their sets in this GB. This is the gear set that is available as a raffle prize and I have to say - its very nice and very easy to work with. Admittedly, I do not have a lot of experience with metal gear but this set required little cleanup and was a drop fit for the kit parts.

The kit features a multipart tail gear build and the metal pieces from SAC worked perfectly:

DSC_0036_zps41809612.jpg

The mains are in two parts - fit is perfect. I will be adding a brake line and the springs when I get a chance:

DSC_0037_zps2dbbf556.jpg

These are an improvement over the kit parts and appear very durable.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention - if you get a chance, please mention a sponsor's participation in the GB if you order something from them. That will give a sponsor some indication that their sponsorship has had an impact on their business.

I am out of town now but my goal for tuesday is to have the fuselage buttoned up with all flying surfaces attached.

I put a notice in the classifieds section but why not here as well.

I want to decal my F4U as Jessie Brown's in Korea. I know there is a Cutting Edge sheet out there but before I drop $35 to get it, I was hoping someone could sell/trade me just the secific markings for this Corsair.

Thanks!

I want to decal my F4U as Jessie Brown's in Korea. I know there is a Cutting Edge sheet out there but before I drop $35 to get it, I was hoping someone could sell/trade me just the secific markings for this Corsair.

Thanks!

I don't have the sheet, but it is $19.97 on the Fine Art site (Cutting Edge).

http://www.fineartofdecals.com/goodies/148-treasures-allied/

Thanks!

It's late now but tomorrow I'll look and see if I got a set of what you're looking for.

Thanks!

I got them. Let me know if you're still interested.

Had a couple issues in trying to close up the fuselage - watch out for proper cockpit placement! Turns out I slightly misglued it and I have to take it out and massage it in a little "higher".

Wish me luck - I hope to have it all buttoned up tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there - its been a while since I posted about this build. The fuse is together and it went together fairly well. I am smoothing out some of the joins and should have this thing ready for paint before the weekend. This build has taken a bit more surfacer than a typical Tamigawa but its not that bad.

I have also painted the main gear and the rockets - so those will be ready to go soon.

Pictures this weekend... I promise!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I am a little late with the pictures.

Its done! Thanks to tenspeed I have Jessie Brown's markings on this F4U-4. The paint is Lifecolour. I did two different shades of flat to detail the fabric sections. The plusses of this model are the cockpit and the wing section is nice. The minuses are the fit of the cockpit in the fuselage and the flaps/ailerons... no one seems to get that part right in terms of construction. The Scale Aircraft Conversion legs are very nice and very easy to work with.

Here are some pics:

db7ade3d-93a6-4f22-af94-af3e83ed53dd_zpsc5796f9b.jpg

2c0fd4fa-9713-4479-addb-74ddef225877_zpse1e793d1.jpg

44ef4494-81be-4ef5-99a7-030762d6031f_zps13c965bc.jpg

DSC_0267_zps984b47ea.jpg

DSC_0263_zps8eed5743.jpg

DSC_0258_zps64656b63.jpg