I've never seen this one before. How does it look?

Shape's are good, but it's not nearly as detailed as the HobbyBoss Easy-Kit F4U-4. A step up from the Airfix/Heller though as it actually has cowl flaps. Pretty basic overall and the cockpit is only a step up from a seat on pegs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wings and ailerons look the part! I can't tell the fuse but if the rest is any indication, looks like a nicely detailed model. What sort of filler are you using?

I primarily use Mr. Surfacer 500, slathering it on and removing most with Q-Tips and Acetone-based Nail Polish Remover. It's the method which I've found to work the best with raised detail on kits like this one. This one did need a lot of actual sanding as well due to fit issues. The filler in the last picture is from a semi-dried out jar of Mr. Surfacer 500 which is more like Mr. Surfacer 50, I keep it around for gap/hole filling.

Edited by mawz

The paint went down nicely

8629070227_c0dcae64cc.jpg

Fujimi Vought F4U-5N Corsair 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

And then it was time for decals. The first few went on OK, just enough to lull me to thinking I was good, then it was decal disaster.

8630176664_e7b6aa0b23.jpg

Fujimi Vought F4U-5N Corsair 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I'm probably going to sand back the trouble areas, repaint them and use some insignia from the spares bin (actually,stolen from the F4U-4 I'm building for the What-If GB, as they are more correct than the ones in the Fujimi kit anyways)

• 2 weeks later...

And we're done. I sanded back the destroyed insignia and replaced with the HobbyBoss decals (which were better than the norm for HB). Still lost the aircraft number on one side f the fuselage though. Don't have anything I can rob, so I'm just leaving it and calling it done.

Not a bad little kit, but trash the decals if you build this one.

8667872499_d2f8714cf8.jpg

Fujimi F-4U-5N Corsair 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

8667872351_dd8152055c.jpg

8668974976_2002528266.jpg