Revell Vietnam aces

Has anybody done the revell Vietnam air aces dual kit the one with the F4 and the mig 21. Was wondering what variant is the Mig and the F4.

I've done them both individually--the kits are Revell's 1/32 F-4E and MiG-21PF, and both date from the early 70s. The MiG kit came with a narrow and a broad chord tail to model an early PF as the VPAF used or the later PF. Haven't seen the inside of the combo, but you can probably find a review on-line to confirm both styles of tail are included.

The F-4E is the hard wing, early model E associated with Vietnam.

Both are primitive by current standards, and I'm being generous.

OK for shelf sitters on a budget, but you'd do much better to save your allowance and get a Tamiya F-4E and a Trumpy MiG-21F-13 or MF if you're after accuracy and detail.

I've done them both individually--the kits are Revell's 1/32 F-4E and MiG-21PF, and both date from the early 70s. The MiG kit came with a narrow and a broad chord tail to model an early PF as the VPAF used or the later PF. Haven't seen the inside of the combo, but you can probably find a review on-line to confirm both styles of tail are included.

The F-4E is the hard wing, early model E associated with Vietnam.

Both are primitive by current standards, and I'm being generous.

OK for shelf sitters on a budget, but you'd do much better to save your allowance and get a Tamiya F-4E and a Trumpy MiG-21F-13 or MF if you're after accuracy and detail.

100% agreement. There are much much better kits out there nowdays. You will pay for them however.

Has anybody done the revell Vietnam air aces dual kit the one with the F4 and the mig 21. Was wondering what variant is the Mig and the F4.

I’m actually looking at both "shelf sitters" right now as they sit on my shelf at the office.

The F-4E is the later boxing (form the 1980’s not the 1990s MiG Killer retooled kit) with the slatted wings, inboard pylons, TERs, bombs, AIM-9s and drop tanks. The decals are supposedly for Capt. Steve Ritchie's Paula 03 loaner bird from the 33rd TFW.

The MiG is the exact same 1970s kit right down to the decals as stated above. The markings are a Russian jet or a VPANF bird with the spurious marking option for Col. Tomb's A/C.

The kits are old, but with a little work you can make them respectable shelf sitters or ceiling hangers.

For the F-4 you could add a bulk head and shelf between the front and back cockpits, rework the ejection seat tops to simulate a MB Mk-7 (I used the Hawsegawa 1/48 seats as a pattern), add some details in the landing gear wheel wells (especially the nose wheel well) and blank off the jet exhausts. The most difficult part for me was that seam down the middle of the wings. Man that took some work to smooth out.

The MiG is better than the F-4 but again you would need to rework the seat and add some details to the cockpit, as well as boxing in the nose wheel well. I used 3x5 note cards to do mine.

im just trying to use what i have.

Didn't mean you shouldn't bother with them--with some work and TLC they build up fine, and apparently Revell has done a 1/48 combo I wasn't aware of. If that's what you have, the smaller scale actually works to your advantage.

Have built the MiG-21PF in both scales (and have 2 1/32 in the stash) and they look the part.

If you have the 1/48, the Navy F-4J might be the Monogram kit (nice kit) or a 1/48 pantograph of the old 1/32 Revell F-4J. Again, with some work it builds out fine.

If you're building for fun, go for it. I had fun building my old Revells and Monograms back in the days before the web was here to rain on the parade or drop a torpedo in the punch bowl.

Hope I'm not guilty of that!

• 6 years later...
On 3/4/2013 at 10:25 PM, BMH said:

Didn't mean you shouldn't bother with them--with some work and TLC they build up fine, and apparently Revell has done a 1/48 combo I wasn't aware of. If that's what you have, the smaller scale actually works to your advantage.

Have built the MiG-21PF in both scales (and have 2 1/32 in the stash) and they look the part.

If you have the 1/48, the Navy F-4J might be the Monogram kit (nice kit) or a 1/48 pantograph of the old 1/32 Revell F-4J. Again, with some work it builds out fine.

If you're building for fun, go for it. I had fun building my old Revells and Monograms back in the days before the web was here to rain on the parade or drop a torpedo in the punch bowl.

Hope I'm not guilty of that!

No you are not. I was just looking to see what variant they were thanks!

12 hours ago, Mstor said:

Wow. You are aware that this thread is seven years old and the last time BMH was on ARC was Dec of 2013? Just sayin' :hmmm:

Sorry I have been over seas. I didn’t see the time stamp thanks.