Hi guys,

I started put some decals on my model,but while I checked again the video showing "my" bird I've noted that the leading edge of the slats was in a much darker color of the Light Gull Gray,here a pair of snapshot .

Also,look like if the camo gray continue for a few cm. on the forward underwing surface .

Any help is much appreciated.

Gianni.

That's Corogard. See http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/01/corogard.html

Many thanks TT,so I can mix some gray with silver and spray the leading edge of the wing,uh?

But after reading the link's article,I re.checked the video and the lower part of the wing edge was white and not in Corogard.

Gianni

Anybody know if aircraft 153009 of VF-51 was operational in Vietnam with the CAG markings? I see 1972 on a bunch of stuff but that means nothing since the tour ended in July of 72 and 150456 was also the CAG aircraft in 72. On May 6th 150456 shot down the Mig and was on fire I think.

Edited by Spectre711

what colors are the seal of the cockpits/windshield glasses? sometimes it looks grayish, other times it looks yellowish/gold-tan color... and sometimes it looks like the painting goes over and cover those area... does anyone have more precise infos???

thanks,

Simon

Thin wings on most of the Bs but not the last couple. Different nose landing gear door. Refueling port, often but not always had the RWR on the intake chin. Cockpit you need the fabric wall on the rear seat starboard side. hooks under the wings for the cat .

Edited by phantom

Thanks, Phantom! So short form, I'll need an RF-4C kit to do an RF-4C.

I may not have been a Phantom Addict when this GB started, but it's turning me into one... just ordered a new decal sheet with various Phantoms on it (a couple of ROKAF schemes on there caught my eye, but eventually, you know I'll end up building the American and Iranian ones, too...) :)

Having said that, the only REAL big difference in the RF-4C kit from the B is the nose gear door. All the other stuff is in the kit and you can use the easier to find RF-4B stuff in your spare bin. The B kit is a LATE B and therefore has the THICK wings as per the RF-4C. I have used the B kit to do a C a couple times now. Just check the parts marked "Not for use" and use them.

Another question now... anyone know of decals (1/72) for this scheme?

F-4N150425VF-151MASDC1978.jpg

Superscale produced the CAG bird of VF-161 ( the one used by the crew McKeown/Ensch for the double MiG-17 kill mission) in 1/72, No. 72-145;only a little mistake by Microscale is the fact that the sheet provide a single number 0 for the fin modex instead of two.

Gianni.

hi

i have a question in regards of main wheel hubs on Phantoms...

on USAF birds, main wheel hubs are of a dark iron/burnt metal color (if i'm not wrong)

does it is the same on NAVY/MARINES birds? dunno if they do something special (because of the corrosive environment) ...i didn't find any clear photos... always a shadow or centerline fuel tanks that hide...

Also, in regards of main wheel hubs... i see that Blue Angels F-4J have the front wheel hubs painted in BA blue... did they do the same to main wheels? (i've seen somewhere on the net someone that have done that on his model... is it right?)

thanks in advance for your kind help

Simon

For those of you building heavily weathered aircraft, here's a detail you might not have thought of. Since the aircraft was always entered from the left side and the rear seater entered by climbing the boarding ladder, walking across the top of the left vari-ramp to the intake trunk top, the paint on top of the left ramp and the paint on the top of the intake trunk outside the rear cockpit would wear more than the rest of the paint job. I found a couple of good photos of Ramstein jets to illustrate this. Here's one by the great photographer George Hall of a 512 TFS F-4E that shows the wear pattern very well:

F-4Etopdetail_zps5a72c775.jpg

A better copy of that image can be found here, just do a search for F-4E:

http://www.aviation-stock-photo.com/

And here's a couple of DoD photos of 68-0538 of the 526 TFS with a very similar wear pattern:

68-0538refueling.jpg

68-0538abouttogasup.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson
  • 3 weeks later...

I found these pics while looking at the RAF website for something else and thought I would share them as I think they are cool.

Phantoms over RAF fylingdales.

phan_02.jpg

Loaded for Bear

phan_08.jpg

Clean eh!

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)