119th FIG F-4D North Dakota Centanial

This build depicts the Happy Hooligans F-4D that was painted to calibrate North Dakotas Centennial. Decals were from a Fujimi F-4C/D Wolfpack kit with these decals as an extra. I have some True Details wheels and was going to use their seat but I think I will stick with the kit ones for now.

P1010001-1_zps671c028e.jpg

normal_66-7459_1_ANG_178FIS_KopackA_zps6127821a.jpg

normal_66-7459_1_ANG_178FIS_KopackB_zpsdeb1ab07.jpg

This build depicts the Happy Hooligans F-4D ....

Beautiful scheme - looking forward to this build.

I love the old Monogram Phantom - a classic. The only weak points of the kit (to me) are the shallow intakes - if you decide to do better intakes, you may get some ideas here.

Gene K

Is that French Blue? Looks like the same color I had to paint on one of my Starfighters Inc. F-104's? It will be a striking aircraft in that color! Keep up the good work, dying to see that pretty blue. :woot.gif:

V/r

Ron

I'm not sure what the actual color is. Going to be stopping at the almost LHS today on the way home and see what I can buy that is close. From there I'll have to experiment with base coats and different mixes. Instuctions call for Gunze 322.

I was beating myself up saying I could do better then I had a bit of a reality check. While painting the pilots I realized that most of the cockpit is going to be hidden. I'm going to build this with gear up and I'm going to try to do this in flight in a steep climb on an acrylic rod. Cockpit will be closed and will only see the heads and tops of the ejection seats.:blink:/>/>

P1010001-1_zps5066274c.jpg

P1010002-1_zpsc0118f36.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

Does anybody know if these doors are closed or open in flight?

The Aux Air Doors are controlled by the gear handle, so if the gear is down, the doors are open - in flight or on the ground.

The doors crack open in flight to release engine bay over-pressure, but close as the pressure is relieved.

Gene K

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to get some acrylic rod and some brass tube so I'm back on track here. After some test fitting I think I have what I want on it. I closed the fuselage up and glued the wing section in along with the intakes.

P1010001-1_zpsba5f12e9.jpg

P1010001-1_zps18f3d317.jpg

P1010001_zps73b7f018.jpg

Edited by Spectre711
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what do you use to reshape acrylic rod?

I sink mine boiling water and then press with tongs, but its a PITA with thicker gauges.

Not sure since this is my first time bending it. Do you think steam might work? How long do you put it in the boiling water for?

• 2 months later...

I figured that I was procrastinating enough on this one so I finally masked the canopy and shot a Tamiya black base coat. I will be shooting the blue later and have my fingers crossed.

P1010002_zps5c713a6e.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

Based on the flash and flashless photos my brain is trying to balance the colours out, and I get the impression it looks pretty good in the actual plastic!

Read through this thread with interest as I've got the 1/72 Accurate Miniatures F-4C/D now, which I do believe is a reissue of this Monogram kit, so good to know what sort of challenges I'll be facing!