But one very cool looking beat up bird.... The Japanese were good at engineering and building them but I guess they had limited resources for paint which lacked in sticking.

Neo very nice Likeness!

Emil

Even simpler problem actually. The aircraft were delivered to the IJA in NMF and had quick, field-sprayed camo colours added when they reached the squadrons. No primer was used due to the need to get them in service ASAP and the paint had adhesion issues due to the lack of primer. The IJN aircraft painted at the factory in the same time period had significantly less issues despite operating in even harsher conditions (the IJN aircraft often seen in pictures with badly weathered finishes mostly acquired them due to functional abandonment)

Even simpler problem actually. The aircraft were delivered to the IJA in NMF and had quick, field-sprayed camo colours added when they reached the squadrons. No primer was used due to the need to get them in service ASAP and the paint had adhesion issues due to the lack of primer. The IJN aircraft painted at the factory in the same time period had significantly less issues despite operating in even harsher conditions (the IJN aircraft often seen in pictures with badly weathered finishes mostly acquired them due to functional abandonment)

Learn something new every day!!!

Neo.... Like I have said very Nice. Keep up the good work!

Big update today...

The pin wash is done, i spayed Tamiya smoke on the wings and exhaust areas.

p1040042u.jpg

I also got the exhaust done. i had painted them flat black a while back and now basicaly i use Badger modelflex Rust withsome AK steel & Track pigment . i really like the result and for a first time using these products/technique im more than satisfied

p1040044w.jpg

p1040046t.jpg

Then i manage to get a coat of Humbrol Flat clear and boy does it look different ...

i did a slight pass with Tamiya oil stain weathering makeup over the smoke

p1040054w.jpg

p1040058ie.jpg

Has of now this is where i stand

p1040053.JPG

p1040056kg.jpg

Cheers

Neo

Man, this is spectacular work you've done!! Really looking forward to the finished build!!

Don

Thanks Don means allot to me :blush:

Now I know what you do in your spare time, Neo - you invented a shrink ray! Looks too real and too heavy to hold!

Great work. :thumbsup:/>

ALF

LOL yep you cauth me ... now ive bean having lots of issues with the superscale ray so i go fly it around on the weekends!!

Now dont you dare go tell the museum i have their plane

:P

OK all joking appart

Thanks for the compliment ALF

The rust looks like real rust and it is great........who stocks this stuff ? Awesome ......really like beat up planes and yours looks ace

rgds

mr b

Hey Mr B this came in the AK interactive Engine and metal weathering kit. you can get it strait from their web site

Whoa Neo :jaw-dropping:/> ! Just stumbled across this build, your demonstrating some heavy duty techniques here, amazing results.

V/r

Ron

Hey Ron thanks for the compliment! glad you happen to drop by

Yea I don't usually like the really dirty birds but wow.

Well in theory shes not really dirty... chipped is more the word :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

been a little while since ive updated so here is a teaser. The next post will be completed pics

ive painted the prop with a mix of jap army gray with a couple of drops of jap army green (both the fuselage color)

p1040070k.jpg

also installing all the tiny bits and pieces and landing gear (i repainted the gear bay )

p1040071i.jpg

Thanks for following along

Cheers

Neo

• 1 month later...

OK here are my final pics

Had a slight delay has ive been moving my man cave to the basement

dscn3382x.jpg

dscn33611.jpg

dscn33772.jpg

dscn33843.jpg

dscn33944.jpg

dscn3382x.jpg

montageauv.jpg

Thanks for following along this was a real fun build

Cheers

Neo

Edited by Neo

Neo, thats an impressive job. Did you base this on pictorial references or is it more in the realms of a technique exercise. I'm not sure if its what i'd want to do with one of mine but it sure has caught the heavily chipped/ flaked look that later war IJAAF planes had. Me, I kinda like the fresh outta the paint shop look, its also less hassle. :D

Steve.

Neo, thats an impressive job. Did you base this on pictorial references or is it more in the realms of a technique exercise. I'm not sure if its what i'd want to do with one of mine but it sure has caught the heavily chipped/ flaked look that later war IJAAF planes had. Me, I kinda like the fresh outta the paint shop look, its also less hassle. :D/>

Steve.

Well i based it on some pic and reff i had on the ki84 with some artistic licence of my own.

Most of the pic from japanese planes showed heavy paint wheathering due to poor paint quality. It wasent really too much hassel to do and i love trying out new techniques...

Glad you guys liked it

Cheers

Neo

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice work, Neo. Sorry for not checking out the finished product sooner. Why didn't we discuss this one over beverages at ALF's or at dinner? It was nice to finally meet you, by the way. Too bad you couldn't make it on Sunday o hang out with me and ALF but family always comes first.

Take care, chum.

Mike