ideal gloss coat application????

Greetings...

1st time post here.

After a 17 year hiatus I've starting building again...this time with an older Hasegawa Macchi MC205.

One thing I was never sure of is what to do before the decals.

I used to spray it with clear gloss, apply the decals, do the panel line washes and then apply a dull coat.

My question is, given that I'm using Model Master acrylics what type of gloss do you recommend, how do you apply it...airbrush??? spray can???...what brand do you recommend? It was always my experience that applying the gloss coat made the whole thing darker, and I'd like to refrain from doing that if possible.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Thanks so much!!!!

AV

Also note that most decals don't really require a super high gloss finish to work properly. Often even a satin finish will work just fine. Future is ideal for it, and it's easy to use. No need to thin it, and you can either brush or airbrush it. You can even apply a decal in a wet puddle of Future and let it suck the decal down with it as it dries.

Thanks fellas,

I'll give Future a try. Any recommendations on a final dull coat?

My current fave: Micro Flat with a small amount of Tamiya Flat Base added to it. It's basically the same approach as Future with Flat Base, but because the Micro Flat is already almost flat, you need less Flat Base and so are less likely to get chalking.

Pip