1/72 Hasegawa F-4J(UK) Phantom, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

I was originally going to do a Luftwaffe F-4F, because that was the Phantom in my stash that I cared least about. But then I remembered the words of Basil King, who said "Go at it boldly, and you'll find unexpected forces closing round you and coming to your aid." Well, I don't know about that. But I thought I'd flip things on their heads and do a 74 (Tiger) Squadron Phantom, my favorite squadron from my favorite air force.

I'm using the Hasegawa F-4J "Black Aces Special" boxing of the F-4J, along with True Details seats, the Eduard zoom set for the cockpit, and Xtradecals' 74 Squadron set. I am not a terribly skilled modeller, so I won't be doing many clever tricks or even probably building a terribly nice-looking model. But I'll try. I'm going to use Lifecolor's UA124 Japan Greygreen A5 to simulate the peculiar bluey-green fuselage color on the F-4J(UK)s as delivered.

I'm aware the fuselage tiger head is the wrong color on the Xtradecal sheet, but I am but a man, and can but do no more than any man can do. Probably less. So far I've messed up a Hasegawa F-4E, a Fujimi F-4E, and did okay on a Fujimi FGR.2 until the decals failed on me catastrophically. So here's to hoping those unexpected forces turn up.

Anyhoo, for tonight I've unbagged and washed all the parts. Tomorrow, the fun begins.

IMG_20130303_221233_zps6a705f08.jpg

Tonight I took my wife out for sushi to celebrate tomorrow being a snow day (she teaches at a Montessori school), so I only had a little time to work on the Phantom. I glued the left nose to the left fuselage and the same with the right side; I've read that this can obviate some of the alignment problems of the multipart Hase Phantoms.

I also started on the cockpit photoetch and the True Details seats. I think I've gotten the colors wrong, certainly for the seatbelts. As you can see, I'm not very good with photoetch, and the loops on the ejector seats don't look too great.

IMG_20130304_210558_zps93f4bf52.jpg

Tonight I took my wife out for sushi to celebrate tomorrow being a snow day (she teaches at a Montessori school), so I only had a little time to work on the Phantom. I glued the left nose to the left fuselage and the same with the right side; I've read that this can obviate some of the alignment problems of the multipart Hase Phantoms.

I also started on the cockpit photoetch and the True Details seats. I think I've gotten the colors wrong, certainly for the seatbelts. As you can see, I'm not very good with photoetch, and the loops on the ejector seats don't look too great.

IMG_20130304_210558_zps93f4bf52.jpg

very nice! just one question what is that egg doing on your bench? <_</>

Got a little more done today so far. First I put most of the 'pit together.

IMG_20130305_141146_zps5b8bb10d.jpg

Then I gave the wheel wells and gear doors a coat of Tamiya White. I masked heavily because I've had bad luck with Tamiya interfering with my more prosaic acrylics that I'll be using for the rest of the paintwork.

IMG_20130305_145010_zps5a5a50b2.jpg

Looks good so far - don't think I've seen too many F-4J(UK)s.

There are a lot over at Britmodeller, but as they generally are finished to a very high standard, I'd encourage you not to look over there for the time being.

Got a lot more done. About ready to prime her with Vallejo Acrylic Primer, which I'm not crazy about, but which I use because my basement is poorly ventilated and I don't much care to asphyxiate myself. N.B. the tailplanes aren't glued on, I plan on doing that after priming and painting the underside of the fuse.

IMG_20130306_204407_zpsb46d4d76.jpg

Well, I can breathe easier now, knowing that I've made my inevitable and inescapable screw-up for the build. The ECM bulges are now added, unfortunately, it was an inelegant process.

IMG_20130307_200255_zps9e9d2373.jpg

IMG_20130307_200250_zpsb9fc6191.jpg

I don't think they're quite lined up properly on both sides, alas. Thank heavens I have another 74 Squadron F-4J, "just in case".

In any event, it's almost ready for primer. Just needs a little more sanding on the nose cooling intakes, and hopefully we're good.

IMG_20130307_200138_zps0482326e.jpg

In happier news, my mother-in-law owns a book store, which means today I scored a copy of Gordon's Soviet Tactical Aviation gratis. Wahoo!

Further mistakes! I HAD masked off the intakes, but took the tape off for some reason, and forgot to put it back on when I sprayed black for the canopy seals. So now my lovely white intakes have dirty black specks all over them. Go figure. Anyhoo, I primed with Vallejo acrylic primer today.

883373_575000059191477_192028079_o.jpg

Edited by Procopius

hey every model you built is a step up in the learning process to become a master modeler! i make those stupid modeling mistakes all the time! not long ago i mistook tamiya flat base as a flat coat and turned a 1/48 P-47 in a frost covered wreck :bandhead2:

are you going to paint it in that strange duck egg blue or the later barley grey ?

Mark

Oof! I once mistakenly blasted a Hurricane with a paint cup full of windex, good times, good times.

I'm definitely doing the weird duck-egg bluey-green color they started out with. As for the screw-ups, well, this is just one more excuse to buy two of any kit I'm interested in.

The upper surfaces of the wings and tailplanes are now painted. I tried dropping a few drops of black paint in the Lifecolor to get the weathered look for the radome, but it didn't quite happen. As I think about it, the radome would likely have been the "proper" fuselage color (FS3614 Flint Grey, I think) and thus might not've had the charming blue hue the F-4J(UK)s obtained from too thin a coat of paint over their yellow primer.

IMG_20130310_113503_zps3fa997d2.jpg