Tips for a visit to the USAF Museum

Plan on being there both days. You can't see it all in one. Also, the museum store is a treasure trove of books. There's definitely some kits but it's the sheer volume of aircraft/Air Force books that will impress you.

Oh and don't bring a tripod for pictures, see if you can bring a unipod. It can get pretty crowded in there...

Edited by Milo

Isn't there a guided tour that gives you behind the scenes access? Most notably to the restoration area and the B-17s therein! Otherwise take lots of pictures. I think I'm going to drag the family this summer. Haven been there since I was an early teen.

Guided tours of the restoration facility are on Friday afternoon only and require a valid ID....there are limited quantities, so check online to make sure you know the process if that's a desire/option. Two great hobby shops in the area: Smitty's and The Hobby Shop. You should Google them for directions. They are about 25 minutes from the museum. The museum has enough to keep you busy though if that's too far. Besides the main museum buildings, there is a Presidential/R&D hangar that's actually on the base itself. You have to sign up for the bus that will take you on base and drop you off at the annex ... this is different than the behind the scenes tour of the restoration facility I mentioned earlier.

Wear comfortable shoes. I always bring my iPod so I can listen to music while walking through (Glenn Miller during the WWII section is a great choice). Allow plenty of time...you'll need it!

Have fun!

P

What everyone else said. One note on the Presidential / RD hanger tour, there are a limited number of trips a day and on some days they fill up fast so if you are interested, sign up when you arrive before hitting the museum proper.

Ditto on the R&D hanger, sign up first thing to get an assigned time slot if you want to see XB-70, YF-12, etc. I never found the Presidential stuff very interesting but there is much more over there. May have their Mig-25 ready?

Edited by Bad Turbine

Anyone know if the museum is affected by the sequestration business?

I highly doubt it since its a museum and I don't believe any active service people work there. That's something our tax dollars have definitely paid for over the years

Do not bring two girls whom have been throwing up since that morning in Knoxville Tn while the wife EXPECTS to be home that night. In Southern Ontario.

Trust me.

Hi

I am lucky enough to be visiting the USAF museum on 23/24 March. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to see and do when there? Are there any good model shops in the area?

Thanks in advance

Will

It's dark as a cave in there - if you are going to take photos be forewarned.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

I suggest looking at their website and see which aircraft you want to photograph the most. In other words, if you have an upcoming project and want some detail shots, planning out which ones you want to get will save you time.

For hobby shops, I recommend the following (in order of closets proximity to the museum):

-Smitty's Hobby Shop

3706 Wilmington Pike, Dayton, OH 45429

-Military Toy Shop (not a lot of models but some unique stuff, lots of military-related collectables)

1291 N Fairfield Rd, Beavercreek, OH 45432

-The Hobby Shop

153A N Springboro Pike, Miamisburg, OH 45449

PM me if you have more questions; I can see the museum from my neighbourhood.

V/r,

John

My Dad and I went last summer; we spent 4 full days and still didn't get to everything (saw the R&D Hangar...way cool...but missed the Restoration area).

So, if you're only going to be there two days, you will need a solid game plan in advance.

It *is* very dark in the museum. Practice taking pictures before you get there, or you will be wasting your time.

You will be overwhelmed by the awesomeness of everything in there. Standing in front of an XB-70, or a B-36, or anything else is just great. It's not every day you can see a B-45 Tornado!

If you're there for longer, and in better weather, you can also check out the Wright B Flyer.

http://www.wright-b-flyer.org/

They fly a look-a-like of the Wright Brother's Model "B" Flyer, and they give rides. One of the most exhilarating flights you'll take...it's like going through the air in a lawn chair, since the airplane is behind you.

Mike

Ditto on the R&D hanger, sign up first thing to get an assigned time slot if you want to see XB-70, YF-12, etc. I never found the Presidential stuff very interesting but there is much more over there. May have their Mig-25 ready?

Yes, go straight and sign up. You need government ID and if you are not an American you'll require your passport.

I'd suggest you sign up twice, once to see the presidential aircraft and the second time to see the x-planes. The alternative is when you get off the bus go straight to the x-plane hanger. All the sheep head to the presidential aircraft first. This way you will have each side of the hanger to yourself. When the sheep are done in the presidential hanger cross over to that side of the building.

Oh and don't bring a tripod for pictures, see if you can bring a unipod. It can get pretty crowded in there..

I've never had a problem using a tripod in the museum. These days though, I usually just carry a monopod, so I can get shots over barricades, signs and other visitors' heads. Another camera accessory that's an absolute necessity is a wide angle lens, because you've got a lot of really big aircraft crammed in close together.

As for the MiG-25, it's in the restoration hangar and will probably never be put on display, as the museum doesn't have wings for it.

SN

WOW, NO WINGS? I might die of a broken heart now!I have been waiting for maybe 5 years, ever since I first saw it on the flight line by the Annex.It didn't have wings or engines then. Saddam did not bother to bury all the pieces or what?

Not that I've heard. I last toured the shop in Sept. 2011, and it was still wingless. In fact, the museum had to make new mounting points for the tails. Apparently they had to be removed so it could be towed under highway bridges, and (according to the tour guide) the operation was handled by Army personnel who didn't know how to unbolt the tails, so they removed them with a cutting torch.

As for the wings, they're probably still under the sand, or have long since been dug up by locals and sold for scrap.

SN

Edited by Steve N