Gents,

A real action pic! Notice the washing machine running under the model. This is where I make my kits (mostly on the dryer.)

The Testors' 72nd F4U-1D in all its glory, a combination of some nice recessed lines, some raised lines, and rivets. Something for every taste. 37 parts, of which I plan to use only 24. I just test fitted the fuselage and found it isn't flush. Its joined by a frame, not pins, so job one will be to sand or cut off the frame lines to make sure it fits.

Found a couple of other neat pictures. The first is of RNZAF Corsairs on Guadalcanal. My inspiration is the second Corsair in the picture. Notice the rough hand painted 39 on the cowling. It looks (I hope) like a light gray finish.

The second is a RNZAF ground support painting their roundel over a USAF one on a Mustang. Supposedly the RNZAF was pretty easy about painting their aircraft. They didn't have to be identical, and they were far less anal than other nations about stencils and roundels. My kind of air force, and when you were flying Corsairs in the Pacific Theatre in 1945, who was going to argue with you?

all best

John

8533271382_2e9bc038b3.jpg

8522582200_22e07a931d.jpg

8533271434_9de041fc9f.jpg

Pretty sure that the second Corsair in your picture is a faded, but otherwise standard, US Navy 3-tone scheme of White, intermediate blue and sea blue. Number 47, and also the 4th Corsair in the line, look like they've had a local repaint done, probably in a dark blue (not US sea blue) over white or perhaps very light gray.

Joe,

Being a black and white photo, I have to agree with you. I'm looking for some variation on a gray scheme and pictures haven't been too much help. I did find the placement instructions to a set of decals that has an alternate scheme, so I'm using that. I don't want my Corsair to be so unusual as to be a "what if!" That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

all best

John

Edited by mundster

I imagine that after 6 months in those conditions (both climate and hurried maintenance) that all paint would fade to various shades of light blue grey!

In comparison - #47 looks like it just got sprayed.

(As an aside, I love the number on that faded RNZAF Corsair!)

Got the fuselage together, but its going to take some gentle sanding to make the join look even. Looks like a bit of basement reno will be putting this back a bit. Not that there is a lot to glue!

Well, at least this forced my to clean up my basement. I got some shelving units and picked up all my model kits from where they were stacked on the floor. Now one wall looks a freaking hobby store. I am both thrilled and ashamed.

all best

John

Edited by mundster

Well, at least this forced my to clean up my basement. I got some shelving units and picked up all my model kits from where they were stacked on the floor. Now one wall looks a freaking hobby store. I am both thrilled and ashamed.

Hilarious! I keep mine in a 'repurposed' ikea vestibule with a solid door. No hobby store look but its intimidating for the uninitiated. My wife once opened it and burst out laughing: "You are one of those guys now!"

Yes....yes I am.... until I close the door!

• 2 months later...

Gents,

Well, there is no excuse for me, I'm hopelessly mired in a rut.

It all started when I had to have the pipes under my basement floor fixed. That meant cracking open the foundstion, which first meant a major clean up and reno of my model storage space (as the basement had become.)

Then I had to prepare for Cangames, which is a local wargaming convention. This is my other hobby, and I ran a Napoleonic demo game.

But, all is not lost. Well, for me it is.

But my very good buddy Kevan has finished an excellent Corsair, and with your permission, I'd love to share it.

Its the Hobbycraft 1/32nd F4U-1D Corsair done in Confederate Airforce Museum markings. He tells me its an exact Trumpeter rebox. Nice kit!

I only wish ...

all best

John

8794660937_12f2dfe371_b.jpg

Edited by mundster

This looks great! I love the checkerboards.

I have the Trump version in my closet...the seller included 2 resin cockpits and a resin engine. I did the engine but got intimidated by the resin cockpit. I should yank it down and give it a try.

• 3 months later...

Well, it only took 3 months.

One of the reasons I wanted to build this classic Testors Corsair (no details, terrible fit) is because I had these neat and very old MPC decals for a RNZAF Corsair.

Well, they gave me double trouble. First, after I put them on and applied Micro-Sol they started to curl up on me. I spent ages tamping them down with much Future floor wax. But they settled, quite nicely.

And, after a bit of research, I have learned that the RNZAF most probably didn't have red in their roundels. One guy online traces the error to an old Profile Publication, which MPC must have copied. Drats. They are "what if."

Sorry about the crappy picture, my wife is camping and has the good camera.

9635263160_4ae739bf67.jpg

Edited by mundster

Just across the finish line! Well done. I'm liking the washed out look of the paint. As for the decals - I have seen a pile of different roundels for the RNZAF even on similar planes. One day I will do the BMF NZ corsair - it has 'different' roundels on it too.