Kittyhawk 1/48 Mig-25

But the exhausts and tail cone are wrong for the type... TrumpyBoss syndrome?

There is a lot of cross kitting in this one kit. A bit of everything and from every MiG-25 version. It is easier to produce a kit this way for sure but . . .

Yes, the canopy has been changed but what about a lot of other things pointed out earlier????

Best regards

Gabor

P.s. good to see ARC back on line and to be back from the great E Day show in Prague.

I am probably wrong, but it seems to me that the windscreen is still flat on the top or is it the angle of the picture?

I hope I am wrong.

Other than that I am really looking forward for the Foxbat.

Juan

Edited by solher1

This kit looks fantastic, they even included the serial numbers stenciled on the AAM's (plus "bonus decals" for Belinkov's Red 31). It appears that the canopy issue has been corrected as well. The cockpit / seat look pretty basic but I'm sure the aftermarket crowd will be stepping up. Now I just have to wait for the recon version to be released.

Unfortunately the style of the numbers is incorrect for Belenko's airplane, and Belenko was flying a MiG-25P, not a PD/PDS. The reason the PD/PDS existed was *because* Belenko defected in a P.

Unfortunately the style of the numbers is incorrect for Belenko's airplane, and Belenko was flying a MiG-25P, not a PD/PDS. The reason the PD/PDS existed was *because* Belenko defected in a P.

OK, but what other notable external P/PD differences are there (apart from the IRST opening which the instructions show that it should be covered for the P variant)?

OK, but what other notable external P/PD differences are there (apart from the IRST opening which the instructions show that it should be covered for the P variant)?

Due to the different radar the nose panels are complete different as well as some other smaller modifications.

The complete nose section is different:

- nose cone

- pitot tube

- panelling on the nose

- search light on the right side

- Search head under the nose

- the cockpit is different

- nose undercarriage doors

The wing tip counter balance/EW pods are different

EW antennas on the intake and fins

Brake parachute housing

The PD was able to carry the big centre line fuel tank

Just to mention a few.

From the available photos of the kit it is a mix of everything: the PD/PDS and the bomber/recconaissance versions. A bit from every version. We will have to see what is included in any particular box but from available information it is clear that one will have to do some surgery on common parts to make them suitable for the given version.

It is interesting that the big reinforcement plate (on the side of the undercarriage bay sidewall, from the outside) was left on the kit, it was there only on a handful of test aircraft. :bandhead2: There are tons of information and photos on it

The airbrake on top of the fuselage never had a bay of its own (as fantasized by KH). It simply overlays the fuselage surface. This was pointed out when the first information came out on the kit, nothing was changed: :bandhead2: There are tons of information and photos on it

The radar given in the kit is one from the very first test aircraft. :bandhead2: Service aircraft had a radar dish covered with a radar transparent cover, just like on MiG-29 or the Su-27 radar. There are tons of information and photos on it

Just to mention a few . . .

Best regards

Gabor

The complete nose section is different:

- nose cone

- pitot tube

- panelling on the nose

- search light on the right side

- Search head under the nose

- the cockpit is different

- nose undercarriage doors

The wing tip counter balance/EW pods are different

EW antennas on the intake and fins

Brake parachute housing

The PD was able to carry the big centre line fuel tank

Just to mention a few.

From the available photos of the kit it is a mix of everything: the PD/PDS and the bomber/recconaissance versions. A bit from every version.

Wow, that's a pretty extensive list, thanks. I don't have any good MiG-25 books and the internet search came up short. But, I presume the PDS variants had less changes from the PD then?

Which variant would then the kit be closest to or would require the least corrections in your opinion so far?

Edited by ijozic

Wow, that's a pretty extensive list, thanks. I don't have any good MiG-25 books and the internet search came up short. But, I presume the PDS variants had less changes from the PD then?

Which variant would then the kit be closest to or would require the least corrections in your opinion so far?

The PD was a new built airframe to the upgraded standard, while the PDS was a conversion of the original MiG-25P with using "upgrade set's". Some of the MiG-25P airframe features remained with the PDS, like the parabrake housing (in few cases this was changed during overhaul) or the wing tip counter balance pods which are a good identifying feature of the PDS. As always there are a few exceptions but on most PDS the brake housing and the wingtip pod should be as for the P.

As to the KH kit, I have no idea, havent seen it to date. The photos are a cross mix of different kits so it is not clear what you will get in the particular kits. From most of the photos so far it seems that the kit is a PD. Still dont show it with an open radome as the one in the kit is the radar of the original prototype aircraft.

Lets waite and see the kit in flesh.

Best regards

Gabor

I wasn't aware that the MiG-25 had hinged FOD covers in the intake like the MiG-29. Would they be down with the engines off?

AFAIK the MiG-25 doesn't have built-in retractable anti-FOD devices like the MiG-29 and Su-27 have. What the MiG-25 has is moveable ramps to adapt the air flow to the aircraft speed. I believe that the ramps are up when the aircraft is on the ground.