Kittyhawk 1/48 Mig-25

ooo, maybe this thread will FINALLY get locked down.

I really hope it won't! as there is still so many things to say about this kit... to make it more accurate!

i really hope the aftermarket guys come up with some good stuff.... but there is not much things available yet... (excepted the Aerobonus seated MiG-25 pilot(with his seat))

i see that you where doing your's as a BM variant... very interesting choice! ...may i put this link to point to your WIP thread? (hope so, cos i already did!rolleyes.gif)

also, i know it certainly have been post before, but here's a very instructive "build review" where a couple of issue are fixed(but not all)... and ends up with a significantly improved Foxbat (i bookmarked that link as it contains many useful info)

ooo, maybe this thread will FINALLY get locked down.

I hope it doesn't and the moderators simply delete the mud slinging posts.

but there is not much things available yet... (excepted the Aerobonus seated MiG-25 pilot(with his seat))

There is more out there such as intakes being worked on and this is a set of exhausts from Click2Detail which did fit the KH MiG-25:

C2D-01.jpg

MoFo did show some CAD images of replacement wheels.

Of course, there are the various updates for the Revell kit which work well on this kit such as decals, missiles, and even the Neomega cockpit which needed minor work to fit (according to the build review linked above). For me, fixing the nose cross section is the one I need to start. Yes, because of the expense of the kit, I am procrastinating!

Regards,

You experts can all brand me as the "good enough" modeler...the hobby is more FUN that way.

For you maybe. Others enjoy having accurate models both in historic and shape dimensions.

I don't have any issues building oob and have no worries about kit being accurate, either because i don't care about that particular subject enough or because i know the kit is accurate enough. I am building Eduard's Dora and it is not considered to be the most accurate Dora out there (HB (!!!) kit is apparently that), but i simply do not care than windshield is too wide. That doesn't change the fact that it is too wide.

No one in here were forcing you not to build KH MiG-25. Liked the kit? Good for you. But do not slander others who have used lots of their time as service to others and documented mistakes. Gabor pointed out mistakes in a very structured fashion and i have also provided proof for my claims on MiG-25's accuracy. If you are not happy with findings or not agree with them, feel free to document your disagreement.

Your definition of having fun is terribly shaky if it gets affected about people pointing out mistakes (with proof, which makes them a fact). I am having fun building the Dora, yet i am fully aware of its mistakes.

There are subjects i care more about than Dora, like MiG-25. And with those subjects i would like accuracy. The meme that is going around that "rivet counters" expect total accuracy is a straw man argument. No one expects perfect accuracy. At same time getting simple things like angle of leading edge of tails and nose shape is basic and kinda expected. Panel out of line or too many/too few rivets does not fall under that.

Berkut, all valid points and I agree. I guess I should have clarified my stance on the kit in exactly the way you said on the Eduard Dora. I did many of the changes that Gabor pointed out. You and Gabor are absolutely correct with regards to the flaws and mistakes...the thing that got me hot under the collar was after I made my initial post about the finished kit, immediately I am hit with "you ain't got the knowledge" and "you ain't got the eyeball set" which I found to be harsh, and then he and I slung mud at each other back and fourth, I said some wrong things, as did he, and I want to retract my angry statements. I apologize, and just wanna talk about aircraft modeling, not judge another's personality. I am as guilty as anyone else of that. Apologies.

There is more out there such as intakes being worked on and this is a set of exhausts from Click2Detail which did fit the KH MiG-25:

C2D-01.jpg

MoFo did show some CAD images of replacement wheels.

Of course, there are the various updates for the Revell kit which work well on this kit such as decals, missiles, and even the Neomega cockpit which needed minor work to fit (according to the build review linked above). For me, fixing the nose cross section is the one I need to start. Yes, because of the expense of the kit, I am procrastinating!

Regards,

had forgot about click2detail bitsdoh.gif ...they look nicer on your post than on their website (is there any primer on those? or click2detail change their resin?)

can't wait to see more update available... in time, i'll gather what i think will be require for me to do a decent build, i don't care paying more for resin corrections than what the kit worth (even if i would rather not if i could) as i already did it for the Trumpeter Su-24...

Having watched this discussion from the beginning, I'm comfortable saying that both sides of the argument have been equally rude to each other. Hence my hope that this iteration of the MiG-25 thread will be locked down so people can maybe take a deep breath, get some fresh air and sun, and remember that an opinion is just an opinion, everyone's eyesight and sense of perspective is different, and we're all here for the same, positive reasons.

Just my .44 Slovak Karuna, take it or leave it.

Hence my hope that this iteration of the MiG-25 thread will be locked down so people can maybe take a deep breath, get some fresh air and sun, and remember that an opinion is just an opinion, everyone's eyesight and sense of perspective is different, and we're all here for the same, positive reasons.

I disagree about the locking of this thread. There is too much knowledge out there still not shared on it such as the new aftermarket.

So, I would prefer if the two original mudslingers (plus anyone else joining in) would delete their posts to make it easier for the moderators to clean up. I for one will be happy to delete anything in my posts not related to the subject of the OP.

Getting back on target, MoFo, any news on those wheels you showed here?

Foxbat1_zpsfea95835.jpg

As for Gabor, I am patiently waiting for the next round. As I told you directly by e-mail, my sincerest thanks for pointing out the errors and proving them with photographs (you too Berkut) as it helps me decide what I will do with my kit. We now know it can be built by talented modelers into a great looking model but every person has a personal expectation of how accurate they want their models to be.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

What I basically did with my MiG-25 kit was do an OOB build with some really basic small corrections, most of which I learned from Gabor's informative posts. With regards to the intakes, the doors can be positioned open (strangely, there is a second notch in the intake for locating the open door in an acceptable position, but the instructions got it wrong). If the intakes were trunked, the taper of the two doors would be more appropriate. I put the incorrect exhausts on, so people would see the kit in finished form, flaws and all. Also turned the fans around, just so there was something to see at the cold side of the engine, along with the vortex generator hanging trees. The forward fuselage/radome intersection got some slight re-shaping, but still not correct. The idea was to get the base of the radome as round as possible, which came out okay...removing a bump here, re-shaping something there, again the kit has issues, but when viewing it from "48 feet" away (1 foot) it looks really not so bad. If we all pray really, really hard, maybe the Tamiya gods will do this plane correctly! 😉

I'm building the KH Mig 25 now and it's an ok kit if you can live with the inaccuracies, though like Great Wall ( at least I think it was GW) I think Kittyhawk should retool it as inaccuracies as well as being annoying don't do much for a manufacturers reputation.

One thing that bugs me about it also is that there's an annoying plastic bauble right on the end of the main pitot. Couldn't they have avoided that?

Wheel files have been finished and submitted. Note: I'm not producing these. I just did the CAD (and don't want to step on any toes by giving out too much info). I will say that I'm currently working on other parts for the kit, but I'm pretty bogged down, trying to balance accuracy vs. the kit's shortcomings.

Also, since it got lost in last nights stupidity, I'll ask again: has anyone seen Gabor lately? I'm hoping to get some info from him. Alternatively, anyone else have access to a Foxbat and a measuring tape?

The main fuselage box section upper and lower halves are very warped, and don't dry-fit very well, but with strong glue joints, tape and/or clamps and some careful fitting, the resulting seam-sanding is not bad. And the box section is true once assembled. Just gotta make sure that you add cutout notches to the very rear of the burner cans as reliefs for the vertical stab and ventral fin tabs to fit in. Invariably, locating pins on engine will break off during multiple dry-fit attempts, but engines do center themselves well in the box once it is sandwiched.

had forgot about click2detail bitsdoh.gif ...they look nicer on your post than on their website (is there any primer on those? or click2detail change their resin?)

Click the image to see Andreas88's work on another forum where he posted this and more.

Regards,

Speaking of... has anyone seen Gabor lately? I need to pick his brain about something.

Sorry, I have a technical problem with Windows at the moment but hope to be able up and running soon.

Best reards

Gabor

Maybe this?

Marc B.

What's suprising is the fact that the moderators have allowed the mud slinging to continue here so long.

Brad

If nobody pushes the "Report Post" button, I don't know when there's an issue.

I see this resolved itself without my obnoxious presence being required. I'm happy on one hand, cuz well, it's nice to see people realise they may have not been operating at the best interest of the thread, and remove what was needing removing. Despite rumours, I actually dislike locking or deleting threads, and usually only will do so if somebody has really pushed things over the edge, and editing out all the crap winds up wiping out too much good stuff. So, kudos to the two of you for resolving this. Cookies for all!

On the other hand, I'm a little upset, I get a dollar every time I push the "Lock thread" button.:)

Ah, I'm kidding.

ALvis 3.1 ARC Moderation Team.