Following their J-11B, Su-27UB and Su-30MKK, Trumpeter are continuing their 1/72 scale Flanker series with a kit depicting the early Su-27.......

The evocative box art shows a Su-27 flown by Lt Tsymbal just after he had collided with a Royal Norwegian AF P-3C Orion - note the damaged port fin tip on the Flanker and the smoking starboard outer engine on the P-3C.....

Su-27%20001.JPG

The kit has similar parts to the J-11B single-seater - but it has a new fuselage moulding to provide the different tailboom...(left)

Su-27%20002.JPG

.... plus a new sprue for the early-style fins with their anti-flutter weights... (left)...

Su-27%20003.JPG.

You also get a set of 'standard' fins - useful for the spares box :thumbsup:/>/>

The decal sheet has two marking choices - including the notorious Bort Red 36 as flown by Tsymbal.....

Su-27%20004.JPG

What Trumpeter do not provide is an early-style nose leg with its 3-hole anti-FOD guard - as depicted in the old Airfix kit (right)...

Su-27%20005.JPG

It's any easy enough fix to graft the Airfix wheel onto the Trumpeter leg - and at the same time correct the 'lump' at the back of the leg to depict the two cylinders of the steering rams.....

Su-27%20006.JPG

I also replaced Trumpeters incorrect connecting arm to the FOD guard with two thin rods.

Decals are provided for the instrument panels - perfectly OK in this scale - especially if you are leaving the canopy closed....

Su-27%20007.JPG

The front panel.....

Su-27%20008.JPG

If I were having the canopy open, I would use a more detailed resin K-36DM seat - but Trumpeter's offering is perfectly usable.

I added a firing handle from fuse wire and straps from thin tape.....

Su-27%20009.JPG

Su-27%20010.JPG

More later....

Ken

Way cool Ken! Looking forward to this one! Are you doing Tsymbal's bird from the incident?

It's almost compulsory........ :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about depicting the damaged port fin tip - sort of on the ground after the incident.

Ken

It's always uplifting to follow a Flankerman build; it panders wonderfully to my liking for 1/72 twin-tail jets. And what better subject than The Trump's NKOB...? Go dude!

Edited by ChippyWho

Maybe is retrofitted during her career?

Could have been retrofitted like Mario said, besides that photo shows it without the anti-flutter weights too. When it hit the P-3 it had the weights as shown in photos in a previous forum discussion.

And even then Trumpeter isn't right because the kit is supposed to depict early Su-27s, not just 36/38, so it should have included the old style mudguard.

Edited by Inquisitor

Over on the 'Jet Modelling' sub-forum, we discussed the kit and its mudguard - and 'Booga' said.....

Su-27s were produced with the early-style mudguard at least through the 20th series. 36 was a 16th series aircraft, so you can safely assume that in 1987 it had the 3-hole mudguard. By the time of the Orion incident the aircraft was less than 6 months old. It stopped flying in 2006 and was probably scrapped when Kilp Yavr AB closed. Pilot Vasya Tsymbal died (drowning accident) in 2003.

So while I don't have photographic proof that it had a 3-holer at the time of the incident, Booga's post seems authoritative enough for me.

Besides, I want to show as many differences between an early and later Su-27....

Ken

Over on the 'Jet Modelling' sub-forum, we discussed the kit and its mudguard - and 'Booga' said.....

Su-27s were produced with the early-style mudguard at least through the 20th series. 36 was a 16th series aircraft, so you can safely assume that in 1987 it had the 3-hole mudguard. By the time of the Orion incident the aircraft was less than 6 months old. It stopped flying in 2006 and was probably scrapped when Kilp Yavr AB closed. Pilot Vasya Tsymbal died (drowning accident) in 2003.

So while I don't have photographic proof that it had a 3-holer at the time of the incident, Booga's post seems authoritative enough for me.

Besides, I want to show as many differences between an early and later Su-27....

Ken

I think so ,IFmake 36 in 1987 do not use tum's if 38 in2000 TUM can be use~ I will make a 38R after main 50R :woot.gif:

After fighting the Amodel Il-40 kits, it's great to build one that goes together so easily... :thumbsup:/>/>

One minor mistake on all the Trumpeter Flankers concerns the auxiliary blow-in slats in the bottom of the intakes.

They are a separate part in the kit - but Trumpeter have moulded them with 24 slats - when there should only be 12.

It's a simple matter to score 12 lines on the reverse side of the part and fit them the opposite way round.....

Su-27%20011.JPG

There are lots of other missing intakes & grilles you could add, but I only fixed the more prominent ones - the two raised exhausts on top of engine nacelles......

Su-27%20012.JPG

The place where they go is engraved on the nacelle - so it's a simple matter to make them from square section plastic carved to shape.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Much as I love Flanker, I dislike the fact that Sukhoi left the engine nacelles bare - so you have to paint them to get the heat-stained titanium effect.

I now do this before fitting the fins - it makes masking and access much easier........

Su-27%20013.JPG

.... although it does mean twice as much masking... :bandhead2:/>

I also had to remove the small exhausts added earlier - they get in the way of the masking :doh:/>

I am also replacing the Trumpeter main wheels with ones from the Heller kit......

Su-27%20014.JPG

They aren't perfect, but at least they propperly depict the early-style wheel hub....

flanker_hubs.jpg

Ken

Actually, the Heller wheels are a bit too 'square' in profile - so I thought I'd have a go at modifying the Trumpeter wheels.

A bit of drilling, a punched circle of thin plastic card, some thin plastic rod cross hairs and ten minutes later.....

Su-27%20015.JPG

Not up to Haneto's standard, but they look OK at a distance........ :whistle:/>

Ken

Much as I love Flanker, I dislike the fact that Sukhoi left the engine nacelles bare - so you have to paint them to get the heat-stained titanium effect.

And the fact I love the most - playing with Alclad's on Flanker engines is one of the best aspects of building Flankers to me :D

A little more progress....

The early Flankers did not have the recess on the inside face of the nosewheel door - that only came later with the 'new style' anti-FOD mufguard....

So I filled the trumpeter part with plastic card - I'll use filler to blend it in later....

Su-27%20016.JPG

When revising the tailboom, Trumpeter missed off the latch and hinges..... (it's on the 'normal' boom kits)...

Su-27%20017.JPG

(they look better in real life - the camera makes them look worse..... :rolleyes:/> )

I've also done some Orion damage to the port fin tip..... :woot.gif:/>

Su-27%20018.JPG

More later....

Ken

A little bit more......

The cockpit is quite acceptable for a 1/72 scale kit - expecially if the canopy is going to be closed.....

Su-27%20019.JPG

The windscreen and canopy have a moulding seam down their centrelines - but it is awkward to remove.

A sharp blade gets rid of the raised seam - but gentle sanding and polishing reveals a deep join which is difficult to eliminate entirely - a dip in Klear (Future) helps, but it isn't perfect.

Note to self :- leave well alone in future.

A Flanker at rest has the stabliisers drooped - most kits have them in the horizontal position - so you need to cut off the actuator covers and make new ones from scratch.....

Su-27%20020.JPG

(I've since modified the port side one to a better shape - honest!)

Ready for a coat of primer.......

Su-27%20021.JPG

Ken