Mig-23MF 1/32 from Trumpeter

Back in December, Waco put on a Christmas spirit trivia quiz where the participants who correctly answered questions were put in for a drawing for some great models. First, I learned that my Christmas trivia is not up to par but ended up still getting lucky and was drawn for the grand prize. Mike Reeves donated a Trumpeter Mig-23MF with Resin Cockpit and Linden Hill Decals. Zactoman pitched in the gorgeous resin splitter plate, pylons, and missiles. I promised myself that I'd build the kit this year with my goal being it has to be done before next Christmas. This GB is a good reason to get started. While waiting for the kit to arrive, I ended up purchasing every Aires resin set made for this kit. I did not know at the time that Mike was including a resin cockpit already. With so much resin and photoetch, I really expect this project to challenge my skills and time.

Onto the starting point:

30a48fb976b6712f852adcdfec18599d_zps9b8cebec.jpg

Aftermarket from Mike and Chris:

68641552738a8ffc0124d43f3a8dec58_zps4d9d10de.jpg

Aires sets I bought:

2f88f8ed51a89d979799a60d7308c661_zps605049f5.jpg

The Aires exhaust is especially unbelievable.

Rodney

I took the Zacto splitter plates for my ML and of course they look good and are correct in side view (much better than Trumpy's parts) but for my next I would take Eduard as the Zacto parts have a wrong cross section.

Will follow your build!

Thanks guys. I've started getting the ball rolling. I've butchered the inside of the fuselage halves to fit the resin cockpit. I've done some clean up on the outside of the fuselage halved. There is a raised seam where is appears pieces of the mold come together. I've sanded those down and put some putty in the depressions.

To feel like I'm making progress, I put the wings together. The only part that doesn't have resin, so I thought they'd be easy. The fit is not the greatest and required plenty of test fitting and sanding. Also, I'm filling in the holes for the wing pylons. Most of the photos show the glove pylons and under fuselage ones being used.

I've primed the resin cockpit and photoetch pieces in preparation for painting.

We are going to visit family for the day, so hopefully I'll get time at the bench tomorrow.

7378cfaa755ba69feed9e4fb7ab47115_zpsfe24929f.jpg

02c09d79a118b03e93a6a49e39b85894_zpsa4e50c68.jpg

63efd2303f5af0b89db81c9077556ec8_zpsd5d8cff7.jpg

06be148dad90f0a8e2202f903634c78f_zps90d77ecf.jpg

The detail is unbelievable. I hope my painting is up to the task.

I'm experimenting with using my I am a spammer, please report this post. to take pics and uploading them. If I have to use our camera and laptop, then I'm generally pretty bad about taking in-progress pictures.

Rodney

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, progress has been slow. I got the Aires wheel wells installed and primed with Surfacer 1200. Been looking at some photos to use for paint references. Many of the online photoessays appear to be of museum or static aircraft where the entire well was painted gray, including the normally black lines and metal areas.

Sorry, using my I am a spammer, please report this post. for pics.

90e730facce5eabd2e7eb39572f71ae7_zps589fa5d3.jpg

The cockpit has lots of detail. In fact, I've stopped work on it and ordered an Optivisor from Amazon. Should be here in a couple of days. Still have detail painting to do and then a wash a weathering. I used Drewe Anton's Tamiya paint mix for the interior color. While it may not be entirely accurate, it closely matches the Eduard Mig-21 pre-painted photo etch. I have a half dozen of those kits to build, so this gives me a nice bottle to use. I'm using Vallejo for the detail painting.

725ef6c39cde276ffcf45dd8d6cfaa88_zpsf4d960f8.jpg

91391464e1ab879504db1eaf06dd8af2_zpsdba1c257.jpg

5007baa853f988a66ade57b29eb0fa61_zpsbbf6c81c.jpg

Progress is slow but steady. Doesn't help that I'm working on a RF-4E and my sons soccer is in full tilt.

Rodney

Edited by Rodney

The cockpit has lots of detail. In fact, I've stopped work on it and ordered an Optivisor from Amazon. Should be here in a couple of days. Still have detail painting to do and then a wash a weathering. I used Drewe Anton's Tamiya paint mix for the interior color. While it may not be entirely accurate, it closely matches the Eduard Mig-21 pre-painted photo etch. I have a half dozen of those kits to build, so this gives me a nice bottle to use. I'm using Vallejo for the detail painting.

Progress is slow but steady. Doesn't help that I'm working on a RF-4E and my sons soccer is in full tilt.

Rodney

Great looking cockpit. Having spent hours testing a MiG 29 simulator, with similar interior colours, I must say it took me back to those times.

Soccer? We're just dreaming of the day we can remove the snow tires from the car...

ALF

great subject......I always was tempted to get one myself......but always put it back on the shelve......maye after seeing yours with all them goodies it will push me over the next time i am at the hobby shop......

great progress thus far.......like the details on the pit and all surrounding parts

rgds

mr b

Great looking cockpit. Having spent hours testing a MiG 29 simulator, with similar interior colours, I must say it took me back to those times.

Soccer? We're just dreaming of the day we can remove the snow tires from the car...

ALF

Thanks, I enjoy painting cockpits.

Snow tires... what are those? Just kidding. We get 1 in of snow here and they shut down the highways.

Rodney

great subject......I always was tempted to get one myself......but always put it back on the shelve......maye after seeing yours with all them goodies it will push me over the next time i am at the hobby shop......

great progress thus far.......like the details on the pit and all surrounding parts

rgds

mr b

Thanks MrB. We'll see how it goes.

Ok, very slow progress. I got my opti-visor in and scared myself! My painting wasn't nearly as neat as I thought it was. I went back over the cockpit and did some touch-ups and painted the switches. Also, started the weathering to show the primer and metal where pictures showed wearing of the paint would be. Next, I'll be shooting some gloss so I can put in a wash tomorrow. Might follow up with dry brush, we'll have to see.

Mig-23MFcockpit1_zpsdc3a50c7.jpg

Mig-23MFcockpit2_zpsbf062572.jpg

Mig-23MFcockpit3_zps563a450f.jpg

Mig-23MFcockpit4_zpsdc1693d4.jpg

Rodney

Here are some pics of the front console and HUD area. I used Tamiya Nato Black for the base color and then airbrushed dark grey for high lights. Also, painted a couple of cables in grey and black. It looks to be a little to much contrast under the hobby room lights but not bad when they are off. After a gloss coat, wash, flat coat, I'm sure the contrast will almost disappear. Hopefully, it will still be seen but not stand out.

Mig-23MFcockpit5_zps96e79014.jpg

With hobby lights on:

Mig-23MFcockpit6_zps927aa6a5.jpg

Without extra lights:

Mig-23MFcockpit7_zpsc43bd1be.jpg

This took several rounds of painting. Black - fix with interior color - black - fix....

Mig-23MFcockpit8_zps488b5ea0.jpg

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Great work Rodney. I'm working on a ML version of this Mig. Watch out for the Aires exhaust...the fit will require some serious attention :bandhead2:/>

The cockpit is looking great, btw :thumbsup:/>

Mike

• 1 month later...

Progress is moving at a glacial pace....

Finally got the photo-etch layers put together, wash done, and a little dry brushing. Now, I can glue the cockpit in and put the two halves together.

Mig-23cockpit1_zps7c85ae2a.jpg

Mig-23cockpit2_zps0081a109.jpg

Mig-23cockpit3_zps030ea32b.jpg

Mig-23cockpit4_zps0cd174cf.jpg

Mig-23cockpit5_zps052fb67c.jpg

Mig-23cockpit6_zps43c124d3.jpgMig-23cockpit7_zps09bade57.jpg

Mig-23cockpit8_zpseb17e472.jpg

Mig-23cockpit9_zpsc52a2139.jpg

Soccer and the birthday season are over. So, I should get more hobby time....

Rodney