1/72 Hasegawa F-4N VF-84 "Jolly Rogers"

Hi everyone,

I am starting with the 1/72 Hasegawa F-4B/J/N VF-84 Jolly Rogers Kit 2 for 1. I will do each aircraft in a seperate thread starting with the F-4N option. Next one will probably be the F-4B option as I have a line on a F-4J kit to use those decals on. The only problem with the F-4B option is that the tail flag has a clear background vice the white one I have seen in references. I will cross that bridge when I get to it during that kit's build log.

I got the cockpit started and ready for some paint. As well as the main fuselage and wings. Also, started on the gas bags. Anyway, on to the pics:

100_9899_zps29c19f9d.jpg

100_9901_zps2e96efbf.jpg

100_9903_zps411cb56e.jpg

100_9905_zps2c5ef98b.jpg

100_9916_zps466e2575.jpg

100_9914_zps0a5c4130.jpg

100_9915_zpsb5f494f8.jpg

100_9917_zpsc967bb7f.jpg

Hopefully more later this weekend.

Denis

I love that scheme! Never get tired of seeing it. In fact, I just watched "The Final Countdown" again for the 87th time and was gawking at the Jolly Roger Tomcats. Build on sir!

V/r

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Progress is slow but moving forward. I have been back from the hospital for a week now, after getting jaw surgery and have been slowly getting back into the swing of thing.

I was able to get the cockpit painted and closed into the forward fuselage.

100_9919_zpsef8f16f1.jpg

Seams have been sanded on the fuel tanks.

100_9920_zpsc4617115.jpg

The reinforcement plate on the elevators has been removed with a micro chisel and panel lines restored.

100_9921_zpsa7cdf927.jpg

Now that everything is looking ready for a coat of Tamiya white primer I will get some weapons ready from this Hasegawa weapons set. I intend to do a full A-A loadout of 2/4/0+.

100_9922_zps098b1545.jpg

I will put down the white tomorrow and in the meantime finish up the seats.

Thanks for watching.

Denis

Phantom,

Thanks for the tip. Too late on this build but I will remember that for the F-4B that is waiting on deck.

Bashace,

Thanks.

Well not much to report except that the intakes are on after a light coat of Tamiya white primer.

Today was my 2 week check-up after my jaw surgery with the surgeon. After I told him I had pain in my right leg he sent me to the Emergency room. Turns out I have a blood clot behind my right knee from laying in the hospital bed for 24 hours. Now I am taking it easy on the Lazy-Boy with some good drugs. Hopefully I can get back to the bench soon. My birthday is on Wednesday so maybe by then. :)

Anyway, have a happy Easter everyone!

Denis

Hi Denis,

Happy Easter and Birthday, too. Hope the jaw and leg are doing better quickly. My wife went thru the clot thing about 10 years ago so I feel for you. Hers was most likely flight related. Blood thinners for a few years and finally down to baby aspirin.

Hope you're up and back to the bench soon.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. Too late on this build but I will remember that for the F-4B that is waiting on deck.

If you want outboard wing pylons, these are included with Fujimi's J79-powered Phantom kits.

Coming along nicely!

Cheers,

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Looking very nice.

Does the F-4N have the same skinny wing as the F-4B?

Also, as for the lack of color on the tail flag, why not just paint the part of the tail where the flag will go, white? :thumbsup:

Looking very nice.

Also, as for the lack of color on the tail flag, why not just paint the part of the tail where the flag will go, white? :thumbsup:/>

Thanks RKic.

I am not a Phantom expert so I can't answer about the wing.

For the tail flag I was already planning on either painting white on the tail or cut a small piece of white decal sheet that I have left over from making my own decals.

Denis

Yes - all F-4N's were converted from F-4B's, the wings remaining the same thickness.

Cheers,

Andre

I got a coat of primer on and have to clean up a few seams, but unfortunately, with family and my upcoming move to the states I have not had much time to work on any models. Hopefully I can get in a painting session soon.

Denis