The first A-7E TPS colors trials?

Ok,someone PULEZZZ!! settle this once and far all...

Did the Navy or a squadron ever have this early TPS pattern and colors,before settling on the two colors 36320/36375.

I have an old SuperScale sheet with paint scheme/pattern of 36320 on top fuselage and vert stab,the leading edge of wings(ala A-6/Ea-6B)36440,the 3/4 of the rest and the lower wings/fuselage/upper fuselage walkway from behind canopy back to tail in 36495.

I also have the KoKu Fan magazine on the TPS subject in 1980-83 which only shows the now standard two tone.

Terry :hmmm:

There is a pics that I found once on airliners.net of 157514 that look like it has the color scheme you are talking about. So they might not have been wrong after all.

Edited by achterkirch

achterkirch-

I saw the picture you mentioned, I'm not so sure this isn't the two ghost grays. Navy Air Colors Vol.2 1945-1985by Doll, Jackson and Riley has a picture on page 76 of Modex 413 from VA-195 in the same or similar scheme, dated 1982. The gray in the book photo is not quite as dark, but there is still a strong contrast between the two grays. Could be these are not 36320/36375, or that the batches of paint on this jet just happened to be fresh and of a higher contrast with each other. Still cool looking, though.

Anyone have anything definitive to answer Terry's original question? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have an old Koku Fan book on US Navy attack aircraft. There are color photos of VA-195 A-7Es from 1982 and Va-27 which clearly shows 36495 on the bottom of the aircraft and on the fuselage below the wing. However, I have never seen 36495 on the top except for the markings. The very light gray was only used for a very short time before it was replaced by light ghost grey, and apparently by only a few squadrons as photos of this scheme are relatively rare. Hope that helps.