Starówka, captured Sd.Kfz 251/1 Ausf. D

I'm building an Sd.Kfz 251/1 Ausf. D as "Starówka", a vehicle captured by the Poles during the Warwaw Uprising. I normally build 1/48 aircraft, hence the scale. I'm using Hauler's HLX48295 and HLX48296 PE sets and Model Master enamels.

As shown in the first link above, Toro tells me the vehicle is Dunkelgelb overall. But, this build relied on photographs (see links that the top of page) that suggest a camoflaged vehicle. There does appear to be something shown in the photos, so I'm willing to go with the color scheme in this build as a better choice than pure Dunkelgelb.

Tamiya indicates virtually everything would be Dunkelgelb, at least as a base color. That's make sense from my somewhat limited knowledge of AFVs. But, I did find a couple of walkarounds, like this one, that show a white forward interior at the driver. I've learned to be suspicious of reconstruction color schemes, but what do you experts say?

TIA

Edited by David N Lombard

Anything in the interior which could even remotely be seen from the air would be the same color as the exterior of the vehicle.

My opinion is the museum piece is wrong, because if you look at the rear of the vehicle it too is painted white or off white which is completely wrong. The back open areas of half tracks are painted like the exterior.

Starowka would most certainly have been dark yellow overall, and given the photos I believe a green pattern is correct. In this old film green and red brown can be seen as seperate colors as the red brown will look marginally darker. These pics, to me anyway, show a green pattern.

G

Next question. Tamiya claims a flat brown (XF-10) for the wooden benches in the main compartment. I've seen oiled or perhaps even "bright" (varnished) wood in some reconstructions and builds. That doesn't make sense to me; Maintaining a bright wood needs time and elbow grease. Also, bright or oiled wood would plainly contrast with the rest of the vehicle. For that reason, I'm thinking the benchaes are more correctly Dunkelgelb. Wood may well be visible due to wear, but weathered wood tends to gray.

Thoughts?

They most likely started out as unstained varnished wood. I use Tamiya Buff or Deck Tan with a coat of clear orange over that to replicate freshly varnished wood. I think a deck tan base, with a wash of medium gray will give you the bleached and weathered appearence you want.

G