Academy 1/72 F-86E Sabre "Jolly Roger"

This kit is from Academy. I used CMK F-86 interior set for the cockpit. It looks not bad. Fuselage was ok, needed to fill some gaps. Besides scratch built the pitot tube, I didn’t add anything on fuselage. The only problem I think was the decals from the kit. It was kind of hard and thick. The size of some decals was different with instruction. Needed to measure correct position carefully. After all, I still got fun for building this Sabre. Thanks for looking.

http://www.deepbluemodel.com/

9353750916_8208dc0d6c_b.jpg

9350973805_ca0d1efd2e_b.jpg

9350973847_f3a42acdd6_b.jpg

9350973717_81787236c6_b.jpg

9350973883_c61ed8597e_b.jpg

9350973357_bc98943dc0_b.jpg

9350973207_7713c8fac4_b.jpg

9353750140_86a7bcaf64_b.jpg

9350972407_319f8ddfe2_b.jpg

9350972627_dd6562abbd_b.jpg

Edited by Anzo

wow! nice work! did you use alclad?

Thanks, nicholassagan. I used Mr. Metal Color from GSI.

Was this at the Cottage Grove show the other day.

Spectacular work

Thanks, toadwbg. Yes, this F-86 was at that show yesterday.

Wow! Nice and shiny with subtle weathering. I love it!

Thank you, warthoglvr.

This is quite possibly the nicest Sabre I've seen -the only one that comes close is that wonderful foil-wrapped 1/48 one that I forgot to bookmark and can't remember where to look for on the 'net now!

Academy made a lovely set of parts, but like you say their decals can be a little resilient: you sure got the better of them! Somehow, I must track down some Mr Metal Color, it always seems to look brilliant. Is it easy to use?

Many thanks for showing this beautiful machine. :thumbsup:

Yessir, Ditto on all of the above. You sure conquered that Academy kit! As far as the decals, you're a better man than I. Applying decals has always been one of my favorite parts of modeling. I have hardly ever had any trouble with decals - until I tried Academy kit decals (not Cartograph). It was like trying to put down decals made from waxed paper. On occasion, I use kit decals. But when it comes to Academy decals, I chicken out and get AM decals. Your use of the kit decals is amazing. HOW did you do it, if you don't mind taking a minute or four and letting us know. Again, this is by far one of the best F-86's I have seen on this or any other site.(and there are some amazing Sabres out there) The really amazing thing is that you did it in 1/72 scale. (looks more like 1/48!)

Edited by balls47

Hi guys, thanks for all of your nice comments. :lol:/>

This is quite possibly the nicest Sabre I've seen -the only one that comes close is that wonderful foil-wrapped 1/48 one that I forgot to bookmark and can't remember where to look for on the 'net now!

Academy made a lovely set of parts, but like you say their decals can be a little resilient: you sure got the better of them! Somehow, I must track down some Mr Metal Color, it always seems to look brilliant. Is it easy to use?

Many thanks for showing this beautiful machine. :thumbsup:/>/>/>

I saw some nice foil wrapped airplanes too. They look super shining. I may try foil next time.

Mr. Metal Color is easy to use. Just add lots of thinners and airbrush very thin on fuselage. You will get a really good result.

Hey nice job on this one. Might have a little trouble with the sponge in the intake and exhaust though. :whistle:/>/>/>

What trouble?? :hmmm:/>

Yessir, Ditto on all of the above. You sure conquered that Academy kit! As far as the decals, you're a better man than I. Applying decals has always been one of my favorite parts of modeling. I have hardly ever had any trouble with decals - until I tried Academy kit decals (not Cartograph). It was like trying to put down decals made from waxed paper. On occasion, I use kit decals. But when it comes to Academy decals, I chicken out and get AM decals. Your use of the kit decals is amazing. HOW did you do it, if you don't mind taking a minute or four and letting us know. Again, this is by far one of the best F-86's I have seen on this or any other site.(and there are some amazing Sabres out there) The really amazing thing is that you did it in 1/72 scale. (looks more like 1/48!)

The decals are not easy to apply, because they are easy break, hard, and thick. But I am glad I did it. Actually, not thing special. I cut excess carrier film of each decal. After dip decal in water, put the decal on fuselage and apply Mr. Mark Softer from GSI. After this step, I only wash panel lines by oil paint and have some weathering, then the airplane is done.

Great work! I do remember seeing the model at Cottage Grove.... I even took a picture! Really impressive in any scale, but considering it's 72nd... I'm amazed :thumbsup:/>/>/>/>

/Jesse

Hi Jesse, I will say hi to you next time.

SPECTACULAR sir!!!! One of the best NMFs i have ever seen and in 1/72 scale!!!!!!!!!

Did you use Mr.Metal color or super metallics? What shades did you use?

John

I used several Mr. Metal Colors and SM08. The shades are airbrushed by black paint, very thin black paint.

• 4 months later...