1/32 Tamiya P-51D Mustang in WW-II

Thanks a lot guys for the nice words!

As mentioned in the progress thread; it's a beauty!

Your photography is also very good but I have one gripe, I think you should pick a dark grey background, the whole thing would look even better.

You're probably right Christian, but I do submit my builds to FSM magazine and they like to have the background as a white-out to conform to their publishing standards. Maybe they save on ink or something, but I agree a darker background would make the NMF "pop" a little more.

Simply incredible Chuck!!!!

I have followed along....didnt really don on me its been 9 months in the making. Personally I would pay 15-20 bucks for an all inclusive paperback version of your build thread of this....you should look into it. I agree with tourist and am putting in my official request of ONE pic of that beauty with a WW2 backdrop.

Thank you for all your extra effort in the build thread :worship:/>

Simply incredible Chuck!!!!

I have followed along....didnt really don on me its been 9 months in the making. Personally I would pay 15-20 bucks for an all inclusive paperback version of your build thread of this....you should look into it. I agree with tourist and am putting in my official request of ONE pic of that beauty with a WW2 backdrop.

Thank you for all your extra effort in the build thread

Thanks Guys. Although I've thought of publishing a small book of this build (I have 500+ build pics!), the reality is that I'd lose my shirt and the time it would take would be like building another model. It will, however, likely be in a future FSM magazine with most of the build sequence documented.

Since I know nothing about Photoshop to create a WW-II backdrop, I can switch a few of these pics over to black and white and intersperse them with the real deal instead. It looks kind of cool...

Thunderbird10.jpg

Note how the decals don't match the real deal very well. The "WD" is too narrow and the arrow is too short..

BW-2.jpg

BW-1.jpg

BW-4.jpg

Oilstain1.jpg

BW-5.jpg

BW-6.jpg

BW-3.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks Guys. Although I've thought of publishing a small book of this build (I have 500+ build pics!), the reality is that I'd lose my shirt and the time it would take would be like building another model. It will, however, likely be in a future FSM magazine with most of the build sequence documented.

Since I know nothing about Photoshop to create a WW-II backdrop, I can switch a few of these pics over to black and white and intersperse them with the real deal instead. It looks kind of cool...

Thunderbird10.jpg

Note how the decals don't match the real deal very well. The "WD" is too narrow and the arrow is too short..

BW-2.jpg

BW-1.jpg

BW-4.jpg

Oilstain1.jpg

Chuck ,

OUTSTANDING photos.

STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS :wub: :wub: :wub:

Your photoshop design is very good. :yahoo:

Thanks again Gents! FYI, I updated all of the pics with tweaked ones and a few new ones. What looked great on my home computer monitor looked washed out on my work one, so I increased the contrast a bit to most of them. I think they look a lot better now.

This deserves another "at-a-boy" :worship: Aside from the wings, did you deepen panel lines or rivets on the fuselage?

/Jesse

Thanks Jesse. Other than restoring what was already there, no. I did replace a lot of rivet detail through sanding though, but not really anything more intense. I give credit for the fine details that showed through to the kit, the thin Krylon lacquer primer, and of course the super thin Alclad lacquer, with lots of fine sanding in between.

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi Chuck!

I've been followed this and your F-4e build closely and have to say that your work is beyond fantastic. You capture the look of a working airplane so well. The quality of your work makes me strive to improve my own model projects. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Edited by MattJCYKZ

Hi Chuck!

I've been followed this and your F-4e build closely and have to say that your work is beyond fantastic. You capture the look of a working airplane so well. The quality of your work makes me strive to improve my own model projects. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

Thanks Matt.

I'm glad you like the finish, because not everybody does. You may have noticed that a guy in my build thread said that he didn't like the Mustang finish and another guy said that he didn't like the finish of the F-4E either. All I can say is that the weathering process is pure art and nothing more. I'm trying to make my model unique and interesting and I don't like super clean builds with no weathering either, especially if it's a front line fighter. These super clean builds often win modeling contests due to lack of deductions because there are no deductions for "Artistic Presentation" as there is in figure skating- and thank goodness there isn't! All I can do is to continue to model- and weather- the way I like it and if some don't like it, who cares? I do notice, however, that when someone says they don't like my weathering, they aren't exactly showing me examples of their own work. Now THAT might be an interesting conversation! ;)

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck

Do you think you'll eventually mount it on some Marsden matting like the photo?? Will you add any figures if you do??

Steve

Thanks Steve. I thought about doing a bit of a diorama to really frame this model, but in the end I didn't- and won't because:

1) I've never done one before and I don't really think I would enjoy it.

2) I will never make a little pilot or other figurine. I think little men detract from the model because they always look, well, not very good- at least to my eyes. Sorry to those who like to make them, but like weathering, we all have our likes and dislikes! ;)

Edited by chuck540z3

Simply amazing Chuck!!!

IT look perfect in any detail but the blue of the star marking look a little too blue to me. I'm not expert of P-51 so maybe is only a my impression,knowing which is the care and research that make for each of your build. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gianni