1:72 CP-107 Argus Kit

CP-107 Argus Kit - Crowd Funding Proposal.

225523_338885729566536_1521178328_n.jpg

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/canuck-models

Hi everyone, based on an extremely unscientific poll taken a couple of days ago, it sounds like a 1:72 scale injection kit of a CP-107 Argus would be quite popular. I do have a model kit manufacturing company agreeing in principle to produce the kit, so the next step is financing. As everyone here knows, these kits are extremely expensive to create and so I'm going to try crowd funding. For those that are not aware, this is a popular recent way to fund projects both small and large. I've used crowd funding (aka Kickstarting) at two start-up gaming companies with massive success and really helps to determine if there's a market for the idea. 'Donation's are made and held in escrow until the required amount is reached. Small perks are provided for each level of donation. If the amount required isn't reached, donations are returned. So it's all very safe and many companies now use this approach.

If you would like to help fund this project please visit: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/canuck-models

If this goal isn't reached then I will look into other options to produce the kit (such as resin), but an injection kit should be the goal.

Thanks for your time.

David

Good idea!

I never thought of gathering capital this way, and I too will be sending some money when I have some to spare. You are getting to be well known here on ARC, so I know there is little risk involved. But if you don't get the amount you are looking for, please don't give up.

The Argus is a beast, and I am afraid that it may not get much love outside of Canada. If we don't raise the cash as a crowd for this one, maybe a subject with wider appeal, such as a Convair 580 (with CC-109 decals as an option of course)may be a faster way to get started.

I hope I'm wrong, the thought of an Argus before year's end is already giving me goosebumps!

Thanks.

I've had a couple of contributions already, so a good start, but a very long way to go. If I can't get enough for an injection kit, I'll look at doing a limited run resin one. A resin kit can be just as nice as an injection kit so it's an option.

That's great. I'd be in if it weren't for my current employment position. Well, really lack of it because I recently got laid off. I'm curious who you got in principle to consider it when you reach your $ goal?

Oh man, what a gorgeous airplane. Of course I have a penchant for maritime patrol aircraft too!

Funny enough, even within the community this is an aircraft most have never heard of. I didn't myself until getting into the USN P-3 community up in Brunswick Maine. I met a lady who worked on base who's dad flew them. She had a picture of one in her office that I mistakenly thought was a DC-6.

That being said, I think there'd be an interest and market for an injection kit...especially within Canada, because it has never been done. I'm surprised Hobbycraft never jumped on this. You being an exclusively Canadian model company this could be the kit that defines the brand.

I'll do what I can to contribute to the fund.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Oh man, what a gorgeous airplane. Of course I have a penchant for maritime patrol aircraft too!

Funny enough, even within the community this is an aircraft most have never heard of. I didn't myself until getting into the USN P-3 community up in Brunswick Maine, where I met a lady who worked on base who's dad flew them. She had a picture of one in her office that I first mistaken thought was a DC-6.

That being said, I think there'd be an interest and market for an injection kit...especially within Canada, because it has never been done. I'm surprised Hobbycraft never jumped on this. You being an exclusively Canadian model company this could be the kit that defines the brand.

I'll do what I can to contribute to the fund.

I'm a little surprised you've never heard of the Argus. It was one of the most advanced Patrol Aircraft of its day and won pretty much every international competition it competed in. Its reputation was amazing. Although this is probably the reason there hasn't been a kit done of it yet.

Hi Ken.

That's a good thought. I was aware that it's an offshoot but I really don't know what would be involved in making a combined kit. I do know that making a single kit suitable for multiple variations ads to the complexity of the kit (and therefore the cost). As far as I know, the wings were more or less off-the-shelf Britannia wings, but I think you'd need a completely different fuselage.

thanks

David

My dad, a career Naval Aviator who spent most of time in the VS and VP communities, caught a ride on an Argus during an ASW exercise back in the '60s. He spent a good portion of the flight seated next to radar operator and watched him tweak, prod, and cajole the surface search radar. The operator said he'd been working on the same kind of radar since Lancasters back in 1945!

-Scoobs

Britannia had turboprops; and yep, other than wings, tail and undercarriage, you'd basically need to replace everything else...

I think the fuselage diameter was the same (the Argus was unpressurised) - so a new nose section and tail extremity (to replace the MAD boom) would suffice.

It looks like the rear of the engine nacelles are the same (except for the exhausts for the Proteus turboprops).

The fronts contained the Wright R-3350 TC18EA1 Turbo-Compound engines,

I'm not advocating a 'combined' kit - but if the Argus kit were designed with a separate cockpit/nose section and detachable MAD boom - plus engines, I suspect you could then issue a separate kit with different parts to make a Brittania.

Plus - the RCAF operated the Britannia - as the CC-106 Yukon - so double bonus :thumbsup:

Just trying to be helpful....

Ken

I do believe the Yukon was different again, MUCH longer.

3.7m - 12ft 4in - and it had RR Tyne turboprops in place of the Britannia's Bristol Proteous engines.

All I'm saying is that you could possibly make the central 'barrel' of the fuselage standard across all three kits - and then have a separate nose section for each to possibly maximise the tooling investment.

Something like.....

CP-107 Argus.....

Central fuselage section with weapons bays

Argus nose and crew compartment at the front

MAD boom at the rear

Wright piston engines and (modified?) rear nacelles.

Bristol Britannia....

Central fuselage barrel

Britannia nose and crew compartment at the front

Short tail cone at the rear

Proteous turboprops with jet-like overwing exhausts

CC-106 Yukon

Central fuselage barrel

Longer Britannia nose (it depends where the extra 12ft come from - needs more study)

Short tail cone.

RR Tyne turboprops.

You could probably also squeeze a swing-tail CL-44D out of it as well - with or without a further fuselage stretch :woot.gif:/>/>

It's probably all just a pipe dream - I'm just throwing ideas around here.....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Assuming Dave's successful with his Argus project, the notion of having 'spinoff' kits for the Britannia & Yukon (particularily the swing-tail) would certainly appeal to an increased audience, opening up the door for RAF and civilian markings.

However, a common 'central' fuselage between the three kits might be a bit tricky. You'e going to have to account for all those passenger windows on the Britannia and Yukon, unless you're planning on the use of decals for the cabin windows. Compared to the Yukon and the Britannia, the Argus is just a aolid tube ... and speaking of stretching the possiblities of the kit (while at the same time getting the focus back to the Argus), it would be very easy to accomodate both the Mk.1/2 versions in a single boxing by including both styles of 'chins'. That would allow for a few more scheme possibilities.

If it weren't for a fixed income, I'd gladly be helping out Dave's efforts. I'd love a Yukon ... and an Argus - both of 'em. :thumbsup:

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

Here's a 30 minute NFB Canada film on construction of the Canadair Argus.

Click here to see.

Since at the moment I'm unable to contribute alot of $, I hope this will help motivate others and help David achieve his goal. Also making a supplement mold for a Yukon and Britannia sprues would give the main tool much more appeal and longer lifespan.

One additional item that would help is that if anyone is aware of really good multiview drawings that would be a good start too.

I have a large poster sized set of drawings, and while they look to be pretty spot on, they're not from original Canadiar drawings. I've contacted Bombardier (which purchased Canadair back in the 80s) to see if they have drawings they could share, but so far no word from them. So if anyone has any tucked away in a back closet or attic someplace, and would like to make copies for me, that would also be a great help too.

Thanks

David

While not a subject I would normally build, if I can come up with the money to donate within the allotted time, I will be willing to throw in a donation. Any plans for some 1/48 subjects if this takes off?