Topgun Demon Drivers

The F3H Demon was originally designed around the ill-fated Westinghouse J40 engine. When the expected performance did not materialize from this engine the Allison J71 was substituted. Even with the new engine the Demon had a reputation for being somewhat underpowered. Nevertheless, the type gave good front-line service with the US Navy carrier fleet for 8 years as the first true all-weather missile interceptor. The Demon had excellent flying characteristics and was very maneuverable. LCDR Harry Milner had over 1,300 hours of flight time with the Demon. He relates the F3H would actually go supersonic in level flight at 8,000 feet altitude. The F3H could be a respectable foe once most of the fuel was burned off and the airplane got into fighting weight. In the experienced hands of LCDR Milner, he relates more than one occasion when he was able to get the drop on an F-8 Crusader. He writes, The F-8s used to have a hammer head stall maneuver to lose interceptors. They would go straight up in burner then turn around and come straight don when they ran out. Well, wed wait for them and catch them on the way back and follow them down the hill. That was a real education for F-8 drivers who werent knowledgeable about the F3H. The F3H capabilities were also proven in 1959 when the VF-41 Black Aces distinguished themselves by winning the Topgun award in the air to air, all weather class at that years Naval Air Weapons Meet. This print depicts those airplanes of VF-41.

F3HDemon16x24Print800_zpsccfa5e17.jpg

Edited by falcon012

Hi Mark,

Very nice painting. Is it a digital production because, it doesn't give me the feeling of brush strokes.

By the way, are you certain that these "birds" won the Top Gun award and especially in 1959? By saying Top Gun, are you referring to the Navy Fighter Weapons School, because if you do, there was no Top Gun in that year. NFWS was created ten years later in 1969 and there was no award marking a class graduation as is suggested in the film "Top Gun".

Again, very nice painting.

Sernak

Thanks Gray and Sernak.

I got my information from "Naval Fighters Number 12 - McDonnell F3H Demon" by Steve Ginter, Pg. 95. It states, "While flying the Demon VF-41 distinguished itself as the best all weather fighter squadron by wining the Topgun award at the Naval Weapons Meet in 1959."

A fortuitous happening: When discussing the activities of VFAW-3 and their Skyrays with a client he forwarded a photo to me. They were another unit that took the "Top Gun" award in 1959 at the Naval Weapons Meet. What is especially interesting is they use the term "Top Gun" on the plckard they are holding up. I guess that settles any ambiguity about whether the term was used. :)

VFAW-3TopGun1959Detail_zps0f2f6c93.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...