Is this a brilliant idea, or am I nuts?

Okay work with me: The rage seems to be "bigger is better, so REALLY big must be WAY better", right? So here's a crazy-go-nuts idea for some kit manufacturer:

1/72 aircraft carrier island kits - with *all* the details! Imagine a CV-2 island, or a CV-12 island (with some 5" dual mounts even!), or (wait for it)... a CVN-65 island with a *GINORMOUS* bee hive on top!!

By adding a small section of deck, the possibilities for aircraft dioramas are endless.

All you manufacturers - you can write me a check for 25% of the gross :)

Bat-s&^%t crazy. You can't expect more than a small consultant fee. Maybe 1% of net. And watch it be money loser for the maker.

I wonder what they'd have said about a 1/32 B-17G, say, oh, 15 years ago? They didn't say anything, because it was such a far-fetched, looney idea nobody had even thought of it.

Or maybe it wasn't economical for a company in 1992.....ya think?

Aaron

What's the difference between then and now? The economy was certainly a **lot** better in the 1990s than it is in 2013, yet here we are with a 1/32 B-25, P-61, B-17, etc, etc...

I reckon it's a fairly good idea.

There's room for plenty of spin-offs too - aircraft handling vehicles, deck crew sets, etc.

Hope it's not too off-topic, but back in 2008, I scratch-built this rudimentary 1/72 elevator section out of Tamiya & Evergreen plastic sheet and other structural shapes.

P1060066.jpg

P1060067.jpg

Since it is a matter of cutting a lot of plastic sheet the thought crossed my mind about producing a model kit which provides pre-cut plastic sections for the deck pieces, bulkheads, etc. and a few resin parts for elevator tracks.

Bear in mind that it is rudimentary. A lot of plumbing and more structural pieces could be added.

I wonder what they'd have said about a 1/32 B-17G, say, oh, 15 years ago? They didn't say anything, because it was such a far-fetched, looney idea nobody had even thought of it.

I honestly think these big kits today are a result of economical CAD/CAM mold making technology that wasn't available in the 90's were you had humans making the masters.

Most of those who do, do so because of a lack of space.

It would be a nice display though.

NOBODY!? Funny - you must live in a strange place... Today 1/72 scale subjects are created by makers in a 50-1 proportion. Surely they wouldn't produce kits nobody would buy and build, right!? The range available in 1/72 is HUGE; in 1/48 is VERY limited - mostly ol' boring stuff as 345 kits of 109's and 190's and spits etc. :whistle:

WE build 50 1/72 models per 1/48... AND it has NOTHING to do with space - it has to do with all subjects in the same scale! :thumbsup: I LOVE multiengined subjects; I build by themes. The size aspect is just a bonus; BTW my other scale is 1/32 :coolio:

You can get as much detail in 1/72 as in 48... It just takes a BETTER modeller with better skills. It's called modelling :woot.gif: ;)

We have this little piece about scales:

"The REAL Braille scale is 1/32 - because the bits are so big even blind people can put them together;

1/48 is the DUPLO scale - for those with fingers too fat for Lego;

1/72 is the Gentlemen's scale - SIZE doesn't matter but finesse, skill and execution DO;

1/144 is the BONZAI scale - for those who like torturing trees in miniature..." :D

Cheers! (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Edited by Moggy

I reckon it's a fairly good idea.

There's room for plenty of spin-offs too - aircraft handling vehicles, deck crew sets, etc.

Hope it's not too off-topic, but back in 2008, I scratch-built this rudimentary 1/72 elevator section out of Tamiya & Evergreen plastic sheet and other structural shapes.

P1060066.jpg

P1060067.jpg

Since it is a matter of cutting a lot of plastic sheet the thought crossed my mind about producing a model kit which provides pre-cut plastic sections for the deck pieces, bulkheads, etc. and a few resin parts for elevator tracks.

Bear in mind that it is rudimentary. A lot of plumbing and more structural pieces could be added.

BEAUTIFUL! Outstanding! :wub:

I honestly think these big kits today are a result of economical CAD/CAM mold making technology that wasn't available in the 90's were you had humans making the masters.

They were making 1/1 scale molded fiberglass swimming pools back then, and they weren't using CAD for that. There's no particular size limit on what physical masters can be used for.

I'd be more inclined to struggle finding display space for say, a 1/350 WWII Ark Royal or other British aircraft carrier, than I would a 1/72 carrier island which would essentially be nothing more than a backdrop for a model airplane. But that's just me. I'm not much for diorama work having completed zero out of all the ideas I have in my head.

Rick L.

I'd actually started scratch building a 1/144 scale one. THAT scale might actually be marketable cause it's not really that large. I still intend to return to it one day and now that there are more and more good 1/144 scale aircraft models, it would be that much better. Darn it Jennings, ya' done lit a fire under me and now I want to start working on that again...MAN I gots too much in the frying pan as it is!

Bill

Well, there is this 1/72 USS Enterprise CVN-65...

There's also Task Force 72, who like to sail them.

What...No Task Force 48? Of course the house to store it would have to be IMMENSE! :monkeydance:

So how about a USS Theodore Roosevelt "The Big Stick" in 1/48 scale. Hate to be the one who has to tell the SWMBO that "Hey, honey...I'm thinking of building a 1/48 scale USS TR!" :woot.gif:

Oops, forgot the tongue-in-cheek emoticon. Hyperbole sometimes doesn't come across on the Interwebs.