Unpainted Tempest Vs

Was reading the "Data Base" article in Aeroplane on the Hawker Tempest & it mentioned that several unpainted versions of the Tempest Mk V were delivered to 501 Sq when they converted to the type from Spits in Aug '44. The article said the unpainted versions were about 5mph faster & this enabled 501 to intercept & down some V-1s over the Channel. There were no pics with the article of unpainted Mk Vs & the only pics of unpainted (or silver dope painted) Tempests I know of are of post war. Anyone have, or know where I might find pics or a profile of an unpainted Mk V flown by 501 during Aug/Sep '44? Thanks in advance.

afspret:

Check out "The Hawker Typhoon and Tempest" by Francis K. Mason. There is a colour profile of EJ533 coded SD*R. Natural metal finish with black spinner. Codes appear to black as well.One photo in the book, but unfortunately the entire sqn's pilots are standing in front of it.

Alvin5182

Edited by alvin5182

This is the image from the above mentioned book. I have trawled through all my Tempest refs and found zilch for un-painted Tempest from No. 501 Sq.

Temp1001.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

Thanks ya'll, I have to 1/72 Mk Vs in my stash (Academy & Revell) & now I can do one each in camo & unpainted.

A couple of other things, did these unpainted a/c have the fuselage band & if so would it still be sky or another color & would they have the yellow on the wing leading edges?

I also checked on Amazon & Barnes & Noble for the book, but its a little out of my price range right now, as the price ranges from $173 to $63.

afspret:

The Mason Book on the Typhoon and Tempest is being sold on ARC by Sukoi in todays want ads. $35.00 US! Well worth the money.

Alvin5182

Oh yeah and no tail band on the natural metal finished Tempests of 501 Sqn.