The Enchantress - Tamiya mustang

G'day guys,

While nowhere near the standard of Chuck's incredible T-bird or David Parker's immaculate example in AIR modeller magazine (which I attempted, somewhat poorly, to emulate), here's my effort with Tamiya's fantastic P-51. I know so many have commented on how good this kit is already, but I was a more than a little disappointed to see that my next build (either a trumpeter P-38 or revell spitfire) is going to be no-where near as easy as this was.

I certainly learnt a lot from this build, mostly from reading David's article over and over again, and still managed to stuff a fair few things up, but I had a lot of fun in doing so!

Hope you like it,

Craig

iphonepics14mar13266_zpsf402d95c.jpg

iphonepics14mar13274_zps12dee1ee.jpg

iphonepics14mar13278_zps32e6e0c0.jpg

iphonepics14mar13270_zps07ba4a09.jpg

iphonepics14mar13281_zps8118088d.jpg

iphonepics14mar13280_zps151b2b79.jpg

iphonepics14mar13265_zpsf80d1ce5.jpg

Yes the cardboard box back drop is really classy, but that's the better than "home time" from the school across the street!

Craig.

p.s. I just saw that I didn't quite colour in the whole antenna, doh!

Hi Craig,

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. "The Enchantress" looks superb on my monitor. I can't be sure but this might be the first Tamiya Mustang I've seen with a pilot aboard and it looks great. You've done a grand job on the little dude, he sure looks happy to be aboard his P-51.

I hope you don't mnd but I was mucking about in PS and had a play with one of your images:

BlackandwhiteP-51_zpsf2054c5c.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to share your build.

Cheers.

Really, really nice build! :thumbsup: I agree with Christian, nicely done with the puttied wings- and I really like your oil stain on the starboard side of the engine. Weathering is cool too.

Chuck

Hi Craig,

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. "The Enchantress" looks superb on my monitor. I can't be sure but this might be the first Tamiya Mustang I've seen with a pilot aboard and it looks great. You've done a grand job on the little dude, he sure looks happy to be aboard his P-51.

I hope you don't mnd but I was mucking about in PS and had a play with one of your images:

BlackandwhiteP-51_zpsf2054c5c.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to share your build.

Cheers.

Holy crap! I've just been away for the weekend and come back to this! Your PS efforts are incredible, I love it! When I first had a look I thought you'd found a wartime pic of the actual aircraft. Thanks heaps! Any chance you could email me an original sized copy?

Thanks for the kind words on the build too. I've decided to try and make my figure modelling better, and so most builds I do now have a figure with them. Plus I think it gives a sense of life to the model.

Thanks again, the background certainly looks better than with a cardboard box! :)

Very nice! Where did you get that pilot figure?

Thanks! I've been mucking around a lot lately with modelling and converting figures, so this one is a bit of a made up variety. The body is from the seated pilot out of the kit, but I replaced the arms with rolled up sleeves (for the pacific)from 1/35 spares, the kit flying helmet with the head and face ground out and replaced with a head from the verlinden modern afv crew set (may be an iraq set, sorry I can't remember!) Then I added a putty lifejacket and some lead foil straps to go over the top. I think the figure itself came out okay but I need to work on my blending, especially for the skin tones.

Still, all good practice!

Cheers,

Craig

Really, really nice build! :thumbsup:/> I agree with Christian, nicely done with the puttied wings- and I really like your oil stain on the starboard side of the engine. Weathering is cool too.

Chuck

Hi Chuck!

Thanks for the compliments! I used games workshop "liquid greenstuff" to fill the wings, it's easy to work with, sands beautifully and can be thinned with water. It's amazing how much effort it takes to fill that detail, even though it's so refined. I'm looking at the trumpeter P-38 and A-10 now and shuddering!

I've never really done much in the way of oil staining or decent weathering so I'm reasonably happy with the result; I'm looking forward to trying it again in the future though.

Cheers

Gorgeous build! I really like this a lot. I'll be building a VLR Mustang in the near future, so I'm glad to get some inspiration. I have a quick question though - What did you use to make the rear warning radar antennae on the horizontal stabilizer?

G'day mate,

Thanks for the compliments! The antennae on the tail actually comes in the kit as a photoetched part. You have to insert it before you stick the fuselage halves together and then be really careful you don't crush it! As for accuracy with my particular build, according to Kagero who makes the decals, I believe this particular aircraft had the dual wooden "uncle dog" antennas mounted on the rear spine, instead of just the one that mine has. I also believe there may be another antenna on the underside, just forward of where the two inner gear doors hang down. Of course, I'm just going on what was depicted in the art work, not my own actual research!

Good luck with your build!

G'day mate,

Thanks for the compliments! The antennae on the tail actually comes in the kit as a photoetched part. You have to insert it before you stick the fuselage halves together and then be really careful you don't crush it! As for accuracy with my particular build, according to Kagero who makes the decals, I believe this particular aircraft had the dual wooden "uncle dog" antennas mounted on the rear spine, instead of just the one that mine has. I also believe there may be another antenna on the underside, just forward of where the two inner gear doors hang down. Of course, I'm just going on what was depicted in the art work, not my own actual research!

Good luck with your build!

Aaaah, I just realized this is the 1/32nd kit! You didn't mention the scale. I was wondering why this looked so detailed.