Need Help with my 1/72 Flat Iron Huey builds

Hi everyone ,

I started these four 1/72 UH-1V Flat Iron Huey builds last year but my progress quickly stalled when it came to adding some interior equipment

UH-1VFlatIronpic1_zpsafdc7c3a.jpg

I've made the necessary cuts to fit the Fireball resin update pieces

UH-1VFlatIronpic2_zps9b259d10.jpg

I've also gone looking through ARC's forum pages and copied a lot of the pic's you guy's have posted on the UH-1 Medevac Huey

UH-1VFlatIronpic3_zps6508299a.jpg

The biggest stumbling block is I have no idea as to how to scratch-build an internal 1/72 scale rescue hoist . The hoist , I think would be the most impotant feature

inside a medevac huey . Even though I can see what it looks like in real life from the different posted images , I'm just completely frustrated at my lack of ability

to try and make something which vaguely looks like the real thing .

I wonder if anyone has attempted to scratch-build a 1/72 rescue hoist to suit a UH-1V Medevac Huey ???

It sure would be nice to finish these four builds , instead of stareing at another incomplete project on my shelves .

Helo 53

Edited by Helo 53

Oh , that's interesting about not all medevac's having a hoist fitted . I never realised .

I'm thinking of using some strips of tamiya masking tape rolled around some round evergreen plastic strut to represent the folded stretchers .

I also found some spare single rear seats from the 1/72 Revell Huey kits to fit just behind the pilot/co-pilot .

I only have one resin cabin fuel bladder , sadly Liden Hill imports always seem to have sold out of them everytime I look on their site .

Did all the UH-1V Huey's have those fuel bladders installed .

I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to make some of those solid stretcher boards from sheet plastic .

I'm feeling a little more confident about continueing on with these builds .

Thank's for the help , huey_crew_chief . :thumbsup:

John,

HOw you doing, man! Haven't heard from you in a while. I wish there was a Flatiron set in 1/72 for sure. I think it will have to be scratch built for now though. If you need more refs, shoot me an e-mail at ultrasaurosathotmaildotcom.

Ray

Fuel bladders were definitely not always installed.

Edited by rotorwash

Your very welcome! The fuel blatters, or "bag o' gas" was hardly in any of them. It added a lot of unwanted weight and took away some seating. Also, I have only seen these blatters on the left side in Army Hueys. I have seen Marine Hueys with the intalled on the right side. Another side fact. We had a few hueys on hand that had regular seating configurations, even with the medevac painted birds. Dave

I wonder if anyone has attempted to scratch-build a 1/72 rescue hoist to suit a UH-1V Medevac Huey ???

No, but have you looked at the larger scale ones for ideas on how too?

Cool looking V's so far. I am going to do some in the future, starting with the Flat Iron H-72 first. I know Ray, I know. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Looking foward to seeing how these are going!

Thank's for the interest ;

Unfortunately there's been no new progress on these or my other helicopter builds these past two and a half weeks .

I slipped going down the stairs and hurt my wrist and elbow but thankfully I didn't break any bones just a lot of swealing .

Hopefully in a week or so I can get back to the bench . I'm starting to have plastic with-drawl issue's

John

Thank's for the interest ;

Unfortunately there's been no new progress on these or my other helicopter builds these past two and a half weeks .

I slipped going down the stairs and hurt my wrist and elbow but thankfully I didn't break any bones just a lot of swealing .

Hopefully in a week or so I can get back to the bench . I'm starting to have plastic with-drawl issue's

John

John,

Sorry to hear about your arm. Here's to a quick recovery and return to your helo assembly line.

Ray