Full size Mosquito build!

Well the only flying Mosquito made it to her new home at the Military Aviation Museum in VA Beach, VA. Now all they(fighter factory) has to do is put her together. Here'a a link to see what came in the box! :woot.gif:

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48798&start=15#p492356

and more pics here... http://www.pbase.com/photozbyliza/ff_mosquito

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148

I don´t like the panel lines on that kit, too shallow. It will not look realistic under a coat of paint.

I also think there is a problem with the shape of the nose. I think Airfix got that nose bang on.

Also, the wrong scale. Most people will be put of by the size, not having the required shelf space for that thing. And it is more expensive than anything Hasegawa ever done.

Last but not least. The use of wood for the construction of this kit will put a lot of model builders of, since it is harder to work with. The gimmicky working props and working rudders isn't to its advantage either.

Nah, I think I'll stick to the old Tamiya Mossie instead..

Is this original, or repo? either way super excited!!!

It is restored form a mosquito that was build in Canada During the war and Used by Spartan Air Service post war. I would still assume that large parts of it are new as the wood would have rotted out being left abandoned in the Canada environment, and I heard that they had to chop to the wings up when they were first recovered.

Sean

I live right down the street from the Fighter Factory, I'll have to make a trip down there!!!!

.....with the camera and Any other contraption that captures images for us to gawp at.....have a lovely time watching it grow before your eyes .

You lucky so and so... :coolio:

How cool is that for ya.. :nanner:

Here's a preview for you guys of the aircraft that has been flying here in NZ all spring and summer, and we've come to regard as "ours". I got two see it at two separate events and it was a privilege. Many thanks to Jerry Yagen for letting it stay on for a while after the first flight in September last year:

Mos01.jpg

frifb11_zps6675edbd.jpg

frifb16_zpsd52fd56a.jpg

frifb14_zps09d0cd72.jpg

Look forward to more scenes like this for a while as well :)/>.

wowsat01_zps0e1b3065.jpg

We are going to the air museum this weekend. I'm not sure if the Mossie is in the museum or in the Fghter Factory. If its in the Fighter Factory it might be hard to get pictures of it, you can only peek in the windows most of the time and they are very tinted. But at the least ill have some sweet airplane photos all around.

It is restored form a mosquito that was build in Canada During the war and Used by Spartan Air Service post war. I would still assume that large parts of it are new as the wood would have rotted out being left abandoned in the Canada environment, and I heard that they had to chop to the wings up when they were first recovered.

Sean

Since the wings weren't used, and the fuselage looked to have been in atrocious shape when found, just exactly how much of this "restoration" is from the original Mosquito? Seems more like a reproduction, with a few original parts, than an actual restoration.

Regards,

Jason

Since the wings weren't used, and the fuselage looked to have been in atrocious shape when found, just exactly how much of this "restoration" is from the original Mosquito? Seems more like a reproduction, with a few original parts, than an actual restoration.

Regards,

Jason

It is a totally new wooden airframe with original & reconditioned metal work added on. This is really the only safe way to put a Mosquito back in the air & is at least as original as some of the restored from manufacturers plates Spitfires & Mustangs I've heard about. ;)

Steve.

Regards,

Jason

Yep it most likely is an almost new bird. but with mosquito's, It will be hard to find an original in good shape. Wood jsut doesnt hold up as well over time.

Sean

That's what I thought. I know that with Il-2 restorations, the wooden rear fuselages are usually completely gone and either replaced with metal ones, or completely new wooden rear fuselages (there's an outfit in Russia that can make brand new wooden rear fuselages). It does seem a bit misleading to call something a restoration, when it only has about 10% of the original aeroplane included, and that includes those "nameplate" Mustangs and Spitfires. At least with Shturmoviks, the original armoured front fuselage always seems to survive, if a bit rusted.

Regards,

Jason

That's what I thought. I know that with Il-2 restorations, the wooden rear fuselages are usually completely gone and either replaced with metal ones, or completely new wooden rear fuselages (there's an outfit in Russia that can make brand new wooden rear fuselages). It does seem a bit misleading to call something a restoration, when it only has about 10% of the original aeroplane included, and that includes those "nameplate" Mustangs and Spitfires. At least with Shturmoviks, the original armoured front fuselage always seems to survive, if a bit rusted.

Regards,

Jason

I agree, it can be misleading, but its like a car. as long as it has a dataplate, its considered original; Just with varying degrees of originality!!!

We have a 1943 Hurricane locally that is basically a dataplate restoration, but its considered a combat veteran, and then we have a 1945 spitfire that has never been restored and has its factory engine, but never saw combat. I prefer the Spit since it is almost all original, but the hurricane gets more interest since it has a combat history. to each their own I guess.

Sean

Here's the pictures of the Mossie that I promised, like thought, it's inside the Fighter Factory, it's out of the crates but still in pieces, and that portion of the museum is closed on the weekends, so I got the best photos I could from the windows. The people I talked to said they want to start testing it in April, and have it ready to fly for their airshows in May. I guess one of the guys from New Zeland is going to be here for a while to train pilots and help with some technical stuff. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, they are through a window and I was trying to beat the rain(fail).

af5d04c10f294d222d50581b9046cba0.jpg

97c440b316cb970e9003f32d21b4e463.jpg

cd37739f5b22cc792c35dbc91f0f423a.jpg

22a00583c05bf9fa775418f81a8df074.jpg

e0b7351266ccf2979868c84a05d3a31a.jpg

ab6f2cc96f828fee48dd1f32ea2912e6.jpg

bb6ebd659969a51bb643b06835db46e9.jpg

I'll throw some pictures from the rest of my trip in the "what did you see" thread