• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest update on my QF4 build. I took a good luck at what still needs to be done and the time remaining and I doubt that I will make the deadline. While there are about 3 weeks left, I'll be gone for a few of them with work and vacation (IPMS Nats), so I will probably not rush this build.

Since my last post, I have shot a coat of the gray fuselage color and then masked and painted the international orange trim. It is not drying but I will need to do some paint touchups before I go much further. I had two somewhat minor problems crop up that require a small repaint. I had some orange creep in under my masking on the left side of the Phantom. You can see it in the last photo below. Not a major problem, but I will need to take the time to sand the overspray out and reshoot a little gray to blend things in. I also had painted the stabs in their orange color. But I was way too hasty! I shot the orange over Alclad which came out looking like a dark orange when compared to the orange trim on the fuselage. Drats! I wanted to save having to shoot another gray coat and it came up and bit me. I plan on shooting gray over the orange stabs a to lighten things up and then respray the orange. While I am shooting this orange coat, I'll also reshoot a few small areas on the main body trim that was not filly painted like the leading edge on one wing. So, it is two steps forward and one step backward!

QF4N150465_141_MJI05302013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_139_MJI05302013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_135_MJI05302013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_143_MJI05302013Large.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>/>

Thanks guys! :)/> I really appreciate the motivation! I did some light sanding on the orange overspray areas and it cleaned up reasonably well. A light overspray with gray should blend everything together now. Now it is just a series of masking and paint coats (with drying between applications) that stands between me and decaling. Still on my list to apply in some sort of order: another gray coat, another application of international orange, a different light shade of orange on the tail, black antiglare panel on the nose and the bare metal exhaust area. I can see daylight at the end of the tunnel!Have fun modeling!Mike :cheers:/>

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys! Here is the latest update on my drone saga. I got this sucker painted! Well, at least the major parts as I will need to do some detailing after I get past the decal stage. I finished painting the black antiglare panel and metal exhaust area. Also note in the photos that the top part of the tail is a different color orange (faded/discolored). On the real aircraft, it looks like they replaced this part from another more weathered & faded aircraft as the different fin cap is noticeable. Another small variation (it is not a masking mistake, although I have my share of those! :whistle:/> ) is the offset in black for the antiglare panel. On the real aircraft, it looks like the swopped out a different nose cone after it was painted at slightly different locations. I also corrected/repaired the various over sprayed areas seen in the previous photos. Now I just need to let this dry a bit and it is on to the decals!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

QF4N150465_147_MJI08192013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_153_MJI08192013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_150_MJI08192013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_157_MJI08192013Large.jpg

Well, it looks like I fell short on this GB. It has been great following all of the outstanding builds in this GB. TI think this has been one of the most active builds that I have participated in. Thanks for the great inspiration, everyone! :salute:/>/>/>

Here's the sum of my progress as the clock ticks the minutes until the GB is closed. My Phantom now sports the markings and a lot of color. I ended today's session with getting the last of the decals on the model:

QF4N150465_169_MJI08312013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_168_MJI08312013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_165_MJI08312013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_164_MJI08312013Large.jpg

After everything dries I need to clean up the decal solution stains, paint the different details on the aircraft, do some light weathering and then spray on a semi-gloss coat. Finally, all the bits and pieces get added like the ejection seat, canopies, gear doors and gear, etc. and I can call this done. I like the way it is looking so far so I don't plan on rushing it at this late stage.

I'll add some more posts on my progress in the next few weeks so I can close out my efforts.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>/>/>

Edited by Mike J. Idacavage

sad you didn't make it on time for the deadline... on the other hand, it seems that you'll end up with a beautiful model! (which is more important)

seeing you latest photos convince me i'll have to do a drone Phantom in my future! hope you'll show us your finished works when done!

Wow Mike,

your drone come out very,very,very nice and ,as said mingwin,is better for you to take all the time you need to finish a great model that respect the GB deadline.

Keep this thread updated until the finish,I will follow to the end! :thumbsup:

Gianni

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support. I will definitely finish this drone and will post the completed photos along with any remaining in-progress shots in this thread. I wish I could have made the deadline but like mingwin and kurnass77 said, it is better that I take my time and not screw it up with the end in sight. I have now cleaned up the model from the decal solution stains and have started the detail painting. I did not realize how many little things still need to be done! My brush painting skills are not the best and it looks like I will need to touch up some of the gray and orange parts as I got a little sloppy when painting the edges of the lowered flaps red.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Well, I managed to finally phinish this Phantom! Work got in the way along with some building problems with the Phantom, but I managed to wrap this project up this weekend. I wanted to close the loop on my build for this group, so here are the photos of the finished model. Thanks to all the participants who made this a really fun GB!

QF4N150465_203_MJI11292013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_200_MJI11292013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_197_MJI11292013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_195_MJI11292013Large.jpg

QF4N150465_193_MJI11292013Large.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Thanks guys! I am glad that you liked the Phantom. I wish that I was able to finish this by the end of the GB, but better late than never! I am also impressed that people still look at the retired GBs. You all are a great lesson in not giving up on a GB if one happens to miss the completion date.

The boarding ladder is an Airwaves photoetch Phantom ladder that I have had in my stash for quite a few years. I think they may still be available from Hannants. With the drone that I built having only one seat, I thought this was a good way to highlight that fact.

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:/>