The Modern Hornet Guide

ModernHornetGuide_cover_zps4bf15aad.jpg

This one has been a long time coming, but is finally available. As the name implies, it covers the Legacy Hornets going back to the first A/B models of 1982. It covers all versions of the Legacy Hornet, tracking changes and upgrades to the jet over the past 30 years, including the D-model Night Attack jet used by the USMC and Malaysia, ATARS recon package, cockpit upgrades, GPS, JHMCS, etc.

Special sections of the book showcase the jet during carrier operations.

ModernHornetGuide12-13_zps365d2ca0.jpg

Other sections show the jet in export service, with pages dedicated to every nation that has operated the jet. This spread obviously shows the RCAF.

ModernHornetGuide22-23_zpsbec68d47.jpg

Then, naturally, we dive into the guts of the jet, showing the details.

ModernHornetGuide92-93-1_zps2edc419f.jpg

ModernHornetGuide140-141_zps4d9d1c64.jpg

Open panels are shown, like usual.

ModernHornetGuide132-133_zps3bc218d7.jpg

Unique changes to the jets made by export customers are shown. This page shows the RCAF's unique main gear.

ModernHornetGuide170-171_zpsc6051759.jpg

Lastly, the weapons carried by the type are covered. While not a complete list of every weapon ever used, this section still consists of 28 pages, showing the unique pylons to export users (Fat pylon and the Aussie BOL rails, for example), JDAM, targeting pods, AIM-9M/X, AIM-120, AIM-7, AIM-132, and more. Many were taken during a combat deployment to the Persian Gulf, showing common ordnance loadouts over Iraq and Afghanistan.

ModernHornetGuide180-181_zps818349ab.jpg

ModernHornetGuide190-191_zpsd1a1ac46.jpg

These arrived from the printers on Friday and are now shipping worlddwide. It is 204 pages, all in color, with 1026 color images. Cost is the usual $39.95. It is available on the Reid Air Publications website.

Thanks for the continued support, guys!!! Next up will a Bases of the World volume, covering Kadena Air Base Japan.

Jake

Edited by jmel

I hope the book will be available from European or Hong Kong sources, because current shipping costs from the US make direct purchase very expensive option :(

And obviously I must get it as I already have all the other Reid Air books :)

Edited by Vodnik

Holy smokes, guys. Just when I was getting caught up on the pre-orders, I'm buried again. Thanks for the support!

Here's the Table of Contents for a better look at what is between the covers.

ModernHornetGuide4-5_zps23512531.jpg

dose it also show the changes that the blue angels made to there hornets?

You know, I completely dropped the ball on the Blue Angels jets. I had every intention to, and even made mental plans to visit with them to shoot their jets, but somehow they dropped off my radar. I really apologize about that!

I hope the book will be available from European or Hong Kong sources, because current shipping costs from the US make direct purchase very expensive option :(/>

Shipping is crazy. I'm still fuming about the USPS raising their prices so much last month. Maybe if enough people complain, and if they realize how much business they're losing (and costing other businesses!), they'll re-evaluate their costs and take them back to something like they were before. I recently compared the USPS to FedEx and UPS, though, and the USPS is still way cheaper.

The Reid Air Publications books are widely available in Europe. My two largest importers are Helion & Co in England and Aviation MegaStore in the Netherlands, but there are dozens of smaller shops that carry them.

Jake

The Reid Air Publications books are widely available in Europe. My two largest importers are Helion & Co in England and Aviation MegaStore in the Netherlands, but there are dozens of smaller shops that carry them.

I just checked Aviation MegaStore's shipping costs to Poland for a single Reid Air book...

€ 25.75

***?... It's over $33! Now $28 for direct shipping from the US no longer seems that much... Particularly that the book itself is also more expensive at AMS.

Edited by Vodnik

I just checked Aviation MegaStore's shipping costs to Poland for a single Reid Air book...

€ 25.75

***?... It's over $33! Now $28 for direct shipping from the US no longer seems that much... Particularly that the book itself is also more expensive at AMS.

Aero-Spezial from Germany (LINK) will send it to Poland for just 7.00 EUR. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! Indeed they seem to be a good source! Now I just have to wait for them to get the Jake's new book...

Shouldn't be long. They order pretty regularly. I highly recommend them.

Jake

As of this minute, all orders have been shipped. All of the pre-orders were out by the end of last week, but I rapidly fell behind in shipping new orders due to the large volume and poor planning on my part. I allowed myself to run out of boxes, which held up shipping for two days. Frankly, I just didn't expect this book to be very popular, and I wasn't as prepared as I should have been.

I apologize for the delay--it's purely my own fault.

Jake

Jake,

First off Its the cover shot that sells!!! Secondly your track record for reference books is Excellent can see the passion in your work. Probably doesn't seem like work to you at all.

:cheers:

Emil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Emil, no this isn't work. I love making these books. I am a modeler myself (on occasion!), so I just collect the photos I need for a build then stick 'em in a book.

Jake